Side Games: Where to find?
Posted by theledzepplin

Is there another forum or group to discuss side games? Our group was unable to get into some games we wanted to play together.  Where can we arrange side games to play with people who can teach us games?  We are interested in board games and RPGs.

Short list: Scythe, Nemesis, Lords of Hellas, D&D, Lords of Waterdeep

Posted by searingrain

To piggy-back onto this, are there any dedicated locations meant for just grabbing part of a table and setting up your own game?

online
Posted by kertdawg theledzepplin

theledzepplin wrote:
Is there another forum or group to discuss side games? Our group was unable to get into some games we wanted to play together.  Where can we arrange side games to play with people who can teach us games?  We are interested in board games and RPGs.
Short list: Scythe, Nemesis, Lords of Hellas, D&D, Lords of Waterdeep

Hello.  In the past, I've seen the Library used for this.  If you check out (or bring?) the game that you want to learn, and you prop the box lid up on the end of the table, you can place a flag there that indicates that you're looking for somebody to teach you the game.  I've learned a number of games that way.  People are very frequently happy to teach you if you let them play.

Posted by dwe113 kertdawg

kertdawg wrote:
theledzepplin wrote:
Is there another forum or group to discuss side games? Our group was unable to get into some games we wanted to play together.  Where can we arrange side games to play with people who can teach us games?  We are interested in board games and RPGs.
Short list: Scythe, Nemesis, Lords of Hellas, D&D, Lords of Waterdeep

Hello.  In the past, I've seen the Library used for this.  If you check out (or bring?) the game that you want to learn, and you prop the box lid up on the end of the table, you can place a flag there that indicates that you're looking for somebody to teach you the game.  I've learned a number of games that way.  People are very frequently happy to teach you if you let them play.
whoa....that's really cool...thanks

Posted by theledzepplin

That is helpful, though I would like to schedule something a bit more formal and some of the games may not be available in the library.  Was hoping for a forum channel OR a chat group.

Posted by funny-shaped dice theledzepplin

theledzepplin wrote:
That is helpful, though I would like to schedule something a bit more formal and some of the games may not be available in the library.  Was hoping for a forum channel OR a chat group.

Here is a good place for coordinating. Also: check /r/gencon on reddit and, I hear there is a discord server for this but I dont know the name of it.

Good luck!

Posted by nscott searingrain

searingrain wrote:
To piggy-back onto this, are there any dedicated locations meant for just grabbing part of a table and setting up your own game?
There was an open gaming room in the JW Marriott last year, and if you are looking for space to play something with friends you can always ask about an open table at an event HQ in the gaming hall.

Posted by zaphod

Game Library (get tickets in advance)
JW Marriot ballroom for open gaming space.

lots of good ideas here:

https://gen-con-survival-guide.tumblr.com/

Posted by roderick

You can ask any Gen Con HQ if there is any place for open gaming. As they have the schedule of what tables are in use when, they can steer you to a table that won't be used for a while. That's part of what they are there for. The hotels are a better bet than the rooms in the ICC. At the Union Station, we can usually find you a place.

Posted by ryric

We've never had an issue finding board game space in the big halls in the ICC in the evening just asking at an HQ. 

If you're socially bold, you can wander around areas with open gaming and ask to join in when see people setting up. My group has had random passerby ask to join in and as long as there is room for more, we're usually fine with it.

Posted by kiyote roderick

roderick wrote:
You can ask any Gen Con HQ if there is any place for open gaming. As they have the schedule of what tables are in use when, they can steer you to a table that won't be used for a while. That's part of what they are there for. The hotels are a better bet than the rooms in the ICC. At the Union Station, we can usually find you a place.

I just wanted to highlight this response.  A common criticism of Gen Con is there is no opportunity for open gaming, but this is most definitely not true.  As mentioned in this thread, you have 3 primary choices:

1) Just ask at the nearest HQ for an unused table.  They will direct you to a table you can use that won't have events starting at it for the time you're looking to play.  This will get you comfy seats and a lot of table space.  And, of course, it is free - other than needing a badge.

2) Gaming in the Library.   Yes, it's not free.  But you're guaranteed a seat and table space.  Primary downside is that everyone who wants to play in there needs to have library tickets.   You are free to play your own games in the library for as long as you like.   As always, the library allows re-entry privileges for the duration of your ticket, but once your ticket time has expired you won't be coming back in (duh) but on the other hand, they don't kick you out.

3) Gaming in restaurants/hotels/etc.   This is my personal choice.   Things we've purchased in the dealer hall we'll take to, say, The Velocity Lounge at the JW, we'll order some beer and appetizers and play there.  Many of the hotels are entirely okay with gamers setting up and playing on their tables.   In the JW it's no problem pretty much anywhere there's a table, but I can't speak for the other hotels.

So....lots of options to play games wherever, whenever you want.  Option #1 probably being the _least_ known of the bunch.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.