Wifi at the ICC?
Posted by tinabear81

Last year, I used my data, but getting a signal was iffy. Is there public access wifi, or even pay to connect this year?

Posted by jedikitty

Yep, there's going to be free wi-fi for attendees this year!

You should sign up for the official mailing list so you'll get all the big news like that. :)

https://www.gencon.com/profile

Posted by tinabear81

Awesome! Thanks.

Posted by funny-shaped dice

Going to be interesting to see how the wifi coverage is...and whether or not there will be adequate bandwidth.  Fingers crossed.

Posted by tinabear81

Yeah... Bandwidth for 40-50k+ people is not a small order 

Posted by buffythecatslayer

The ICC hosts conventions even larger then Gen Con, where all of the people are concentrated within the ICC, as opposed to spread out over multiple venues like they are at Gen Con.  As long as the wi-fi provider has done some of the other large conventions, they should have an idea on how to handle the load.  If it's some new provider, well, then, who knows what we'll get.

Posted by tinabear81

One would hope the ICC has a solid business relationship with a provider given the size of the conventions held there. 

Posted by aegoce

Best case we get a good usable connection.  Worst case we get a new amusing drama filled yearly complaint thread topic.

Posted by tinabear81

Right...Bringing Popcorn

Posted by matthias9 buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:
The ICC hosts conventions even larger then Gen Con, where all of the people are concentrated within the ICC, as opposed to spread out over multiple venues like they are at Gen Con.  As long as the wi-fi provider has done some of the other large conventions, they should have an idea on how to handle the load.  If it's some new provider, well, then, who knows what we'll get.

I just looked at a list for the upcoming year.  It is true that there are a few events that are the size of Gen Con or larger.  I think there were 1-2 in the 70-80,000 range.  So, not a ton bigger.  You may be right about Gen Con being spread out. 

However, one thing that may cut the other way is the free wifi part of this.  This isn't something that has happened at Gen Con in the past, and I suspect may not have been offered to any group this size before.  We'll see.

Posted by traveller

And as people have pointed out, this is for the ICC not the surrounding hotels or Lucas Oil for that matter.

Posted by buffythecatslayer

They stated the wi-fi would cover the ICC and LOS, but no indication it would cover the hotels (they probably have their own).  My point about being spread out was given the distance between the ICC & LOS, they can overlap their hotspots.

Posted by hahnarama

So David Hoppe  sends a letter threatening to pull Gen Con from Indy and now we get free Wi Fi. I bet it crashes the 1st day.

if you have a newer phone and are an ATT customer 5G is available in Indy. I'm getting about 100 mbps down and 26 mbps up.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.