Best Spots for Open Gaming
Posted by yog-sothoth in jersey

My group likes to bring a bunch of our own games and play on Wed night.  But we always struggle to find space with an open table.  I know the "cafeteria" area in the convention center is decent, but sometimes difficult to find space.  Any ideas?

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi.  You're my only hope. 

Posted by malfakter

If you can't find space in the hotels, maybe try The Stink?  I was able to get in random games at that last year.  If that's not available, check to see if the cellar at Union Station is open.  They've had Drunken D&D down there in years past.  Not sure if they still do that or not, but it's a pretty cool little pub with tables/booths and a dungeon/tavern vibe.

If you don't mind a bit of a walk and the weather is nice, there are two new park areas at Washington/Alabama that have tables.  The one on the Northeast corner of that intersection has a great big table, kind of tucked away in a grassy area.

Posted by roderick

The basement bar probably won't be open at the Union Station (it hasn't been on Wednesday in years past), but ask at the HQ desk in the lobby and we'll probably be able to find you a table. 

Roderick Robertson
Stationmaster

Posted by hahnarama

Open Gaming?!... OPEN GAMING?!  What do you think this is? Origins? 

Posted by kkinnison

JW Marriot Grand Ball room

otherwise Lucas Oil Stadium

Posted by hahnarama

Nothing happening Wed night at Lucas, its closed.

If you game there the rest of the time you will need to buy Library event tickets 

Posted by rhone1

The Hyatt and Marriott also have lots of open gaming tables and usually have a lot of folks playing. 

You really can't go wrong with the open gaming at any of the local hotels.

Posted by buffythecatslayer hahnarama

hahnarama If you game there the rest of the time you will need to buy Library event tickets 

You only need to buy Library tickets to play the games from the library.  You are perfectly free to bring your own games and play them with your group at any empty table.  Just check with Event HQ first so you don’t get booted an hour into your game.

Posted by omega-x1

If you just need space and atmosphere, the new 16-bit bar that opened up this month has excellent table space

Posted by kristiana

Union station (yes, near The Stink) has several open rooms/tables. Ask the GenCon folks at the desk to find out where the open tables are and they'll direct you.

Posted by yog-sothoth in jersey

Thank you my dear forumites.  We used the tables at Union Station.  It was a wonderful spot! 

See yall all next year! 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.