So I was just downtown Indy
Posted by hahnarama

No banners yet, and the City is STILL discriminating against Elves.

No that BAD news.... I knew 65 was closed, I knew that 70 is going to be closed form the airport in, but the Red Line project is worse than I knew. Capitol and Meridian are both construction zone nightmares, and Illinois from Maryland north is down to 2 lanes and they have removed most of the street parking. 

Next week is going to be a CLUSTER "DUCK" trying to get around. 

Posted by mvotruba

Oh man, doesn't sound good, but thank you for the heads up.

I always enjoy the initial pics of the banners...hopefully soon.

Posted by alans

Glad we can park with Gate 10 and not have to drive for 5 days!

Posted by knuteski

The Elves must have their park!

Posted by kiyote

Not being from Indianapolis I'm pretty much at the mercy of Google to send me down the best streets to get to the JW.   I suppose after 8 hours of driving we can be patient and spend another 20-30 minutes in traffic.

But once I park, I'm not touching the car again.

Posted by sweet butterfly

Thanks for the update!

Posted by aldctjoc

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/local/transportation/2019/07/25/prepared-parts-65-and-70-interstates-closed-weekend/1813053001/

Gotta read that and see exactly where the closings are. I don't think my route will be affected: I-69 to SR37, get on Southport Rd, then to Bluff, then just motor north until I get to the ICC and JW. I guess if I were staying in Le Meridian, the Hyatt, or the Hilton, I could stay on Southport until Meridian, but that's not where I'm going. And apparently the OP is saying that Meridian's a PITA right now anyway. :(

Posted by aldctjoc

You know, looking at the Indystar map, I wonder if anyone coming up northbound on I-65 from southern Indiana are going to have to take a different exit to get to downtown. The logical route would normally be I-65 to I-70 west at the south split, then exit directly onto West Street and go right past the stadium to the ICC in just a couple of blocks. Quick, easy, simple. BUT, that exit onto I-70 would be closed, right? So, then those folks would have to do what? Keep going north on I-65, then just exit onto Washington? Or exit earlier at the Morris/Prospect off ramp, then head west through the residential streets to East St.? 

I know this is going to feel like a pain, but seriously: For folks not familiar with Indianapolis, it shouldn't be painful to get where you need to go. Just difficult, and maybe a touch frustrating. I wonder if it's worth it for folks who know Indy to be on Discord and Twitter for others crying "Help!" about finding ways to get around?

Posted by aldctjoc

Sorry, last post: Indiana's DOT has a good site up that maps construction for people, and also does stuff like color-code roads for traffic speed, give you icons for traffic cameras, and other things.

http://indot.carsprogram.org/

Posted by mjhan300

I too am going to be glad to get to the downtown hotel, park the car and forget about it for 4 days!

Posted by malfakter aldctjoc

aldctjoc wrote:
You know, looking at the Indystar map, I wonder if anyone coming up northbound on I-65 from southern Indiana are going to have to take a different exit to get to downtown. The logical route would normally be I-65 to I-70 west at the south split, then exit directly onto West Street and go right past the stadium to the ICC in just a couple of blocks. Quick, easy, simple. BUT, that exit onto I-70 would be closed, right? So, then those folks would have to do what? Keep going north on I-65, then just exit onto Washington? Or exit earlier at the Morris/Prospect off ramp, then head west through the residential streets to East St.? 
I know this is going to feel like a pain, but seriously: For folks not familiar with Indianapolis, it shouldn't be painful to get where you need to go. Just difficult, and maybe a touch frustrating. I wonder if it's worth it for folks who know Indy to be on Discord and Twitter for others crying "Help!" about finding ways to get around?
It doesn't look like you'll be able to get to Washington Street from I-65, either.  It looks like that stretch is also closed.  If you're coming up from the south, you could exit 65 at Raymond Street.  Go West on Raymond, then North on Shelby, Meridian, West or Harding streets.  All of which will get you downtown fairly quickly (depending on re-routed traffic, that is).

Posted by aldctjoc malfakter

malfakter wrote:It doesn't look like you'll be able to get to Washington Street from I-65, either.  It looks like that stretch is also closed.  If you're coming up from the south, you could exit 65 at Raymond Street.  Go West on Raymond, then North on Shelby, Meridian, West or Harding streets.  All of which will get you downtown fairly quickly (depending on re-routed traffic, that is).

I read that as the southbound stretch of I-65 will be closed, but the northbound will remain open. Of course, correct me if I'm wrong about that. I want to know myself in case I go driving around. 

Posted by buffythecatslayer

The way I read it the I-65 closing ends Monday, so it’s not a factor for Gen Con, except for some early arrivals.  The I-70 closing is the problem for anyone staying near the airport, or on the west side of town since it’s probably going to affect much of the traffic from that area to downtown.

Posted by kellishaver

I'm staying near the airport (eep, too late to change it now). I plan on just going down and hitting Kentucky Ave. and taking into downtown. I expect it will be crowded, but that should still work, shouldn't it?

Posted by hahnarama

I think Kentucky might be a better option than trying to take Washington all the way in. I think its a way better option than Sam Jones/to Raymond 

Posted by aj_27

We have attended Gen Con every year it has been in Indy. Stadium Parking has been the most reliable and affordable. This means you will have to walk 3-5 blocks, but there are many lots near and south of the Stadium. 

Also, a little known parking trick... On Sunday, the Government lot opens up for $15 (this might change) a day parking and that ramp is attached to the JW and Marriott hotels and right across the street from the convention center.

Happy Hunting!! _AJ_ booth 2348

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.