Suggestion: Food Truck Runners from game rooms!
Posted by mhenson951

Perhaps a service like Doordash, or something to have people run to the food trucks to grab lunch since an hour between events is genuinely not enough time to grab a bite with some of these lines. 

Posted by mrshiny

This would probably have an issue with ICC / hotel food policies.  One con that solved this (bit is only a fraction of the side of Gen Con) is Gary Con who helps meed their F&B requirements with the host hotel by having wait service at the gaming tables.  It is wonderful.  This might be possible at the hotels running events, but would be a big undertaking. 

Posted by traveller

it sounds like a wonderful idea, but the reality does not scale.  What works for 2500 people does not work so well for 70k+

Posted by brotherbock

Milwaukee years the problem was solved to come extent by the con center not having much of its own food capability, and GC could hire food vendors to setup inside the con center. (The instant-donut machine was a modern miracle.)

So one problem is the ICC's own vendors and corresponding rules. The other problem is the spread--finding a 3rd party solution amenable to the ICC, and the Hyatt, and the Crowne, and the Omni, and the JW, and...whew.

Bring snack bars, schedule food time. Old solutions but good solutions.

Posted by grtbrt

In our GM group(19 & One) we generally have  1 or 2 people that act as food runners for us (another benefit of running games with us ) - its the getting past the security at the stadium that can be an issue .

But I don't see the feasibility of a service doing it for the whole con . 

Posted by k_dog64

I was a little surprised this year when I noticed at the Downtown Marriott, they actually had a special food line setup on the 2nd floor not far from where it connects to the convention center.  Even had a chef on the line to make some of the food.  The menu looked a little pricey (but likely pretty standard for hotel food), but the line was never that long when I walked by.

I actually thought it was a good idea especially if you were doing events in the hotel.

Posted by tdb

The food line at the Marriott was fantastic.  The food was pretty decent, and honestly, the prices were no worse than ICC or the food trucks.  I hope they bring it back every year.

Posted by dwe113

lol we walked by that Marriott food table and my friend commented about the price of the bottled soft drinks "oh no thanks, I'll stick with the free water"

like fifteen minutes later he was down there buying a five dollar 20 oz pepsi before our game in the Santa Fe ballroom

Posted by garhkal grtbrt

grtbrt wrote:
 its the getting past the security at the stadium that can be an issue .

This.  Last i checked, the con STILL had rules against bringing in outside food, and the stadium area, is (from what i've seen) does enforce it a little more..

Posted by nascragman garhkal

garhkal wrote:
grtbrt wrote:

This.  Last i checked, the con STILL had rules against bringing in outside food, and the stadium area, is (from what i've seen) does enforce it a little more..

We brought in carryout a couple times in Lucas Oil.  Were they supposed to stop us?

Posted by brotherbock nascragman

nascragman wrote:
garhkal wrote:
grtbrt wrote:

We brought in carryout a couple times in Lucas Oil.  Were they supposed to stop us?

One year back in Milwaukee I lined an old boardgame box with aluminum foil and fit a pizza inside :) I didn't want to rely on them neglecting to stop me.

I think the ICC (and likely arena) does have a policy. As with many cases, the individual security person you get determines what the policy actually is for that moment.

Posted by bluemax

I believe since Gen Con promotes the food trucks, that those are allowed in, just use a CoolStuff bag

Posted by grtbrt

No. The stadium still stopped people coming in with food truck items. Unfortunately it does depend on the individual security person

Posted by garhkal grtbrt

grtbrt wrote:
No. The stadium still stopped people coming in with food truck items. Unfortunately it does depend on the individual security person

That kind of defeats the purpose IMO, of having those food trucks outside then..  Unless they're expecting everyone to EAT outside..

Posted by grtbrt

True, but remember the stadium is run by a separate group than the convention site. And basically they can do what they want. 

Posted by glory grtbrt

grtbrt wrote:

I brought food into the stadium and didn't even get a glance. I didn't know I wasn't supposed to - but I hit the food trucks and then had to get to an RPG quickly and just brought it in with me!

Posted by andrewj.rager

A general rule of thumb of life.

Whatever you are doing, act like you SHOULD be doing it. Everyone around you will just go with it.

I know it sounds insane, but if you ACT like you know what you are doing, no one questions you.

So if you just walk into LOS like a boss with food, no problem, but if you are trying to be sneaky, or look worried, you are going get the attention of the guards.

You can basically apply this rule to almost anything. You will be amazing at what you CAN do.

Posted by brotherbock andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
A general rule of thumb of life.
Whatever you are doing, act like you SHOULD be doing it. Everyone around you will just go with it.
I know it sounds insane, but if you ACT like you know what you are doing, no one questions you.
So if you just walk into LOS like a boss with food, no problem, but if you are trying to be sneaky, or look worried, you are going get the attention of the guards.
You can basically apply this rule to almost anything. You will be amazing at what you CAN do.

And carry a clipboard.

Posted by quarex

I will never forget the time I was wandering around Washington D.C. in a suit carrying a leather padfolio and suddenly realized I had walked past the initial perimeter security line for the Capitol building.  Now, would they have just let me inside the building no questions asked?  I hope not?

More fun was going to Gary Con III? I think, dressed nicely with my huge camera slung around my neck.  I thought everyone in charge was just really, really nice, but by like the tenth Gygax family member/convention runner I had been introduced to, I realized they must have thought I was press.

Posted by brotherbock quarex

quarex wrote:
I will never forget the time I was wandering around Washington D.C. in a suit carrying a leather padfolio and suddenly realized I had walked past the initial perimeter security line for the Capitol building.  Now, would they have just let me inside the building no questions asked?  I hope not?
More fun was going to Gary Con III? I think, dressed nicely with my huge camera slung around my neck.  I thought everyone in charge was just really, really nice, but by like the tenth Gygax family member/convention runner I had been introduced to, I realized they must have thought I was press.

I have found, somewhat sadly, that being a white male also makes a lot of people think that I am 'the person in charge'. And I think being tall has also contributed to it. But yeah, a nice camera is another good prop for these purposes.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.