F.Y.I. For 2020 - Escalators In The World Of Wonder Garage:
Posted by al_kesselring

As most of us know, the World Of Wonder garage escalators between the Circle Center Mall and the convention center were non operational from both directions for this year..............and well, let's face it, one or both escalator directions were not working during the convention all these years. 

This week, I drove back to Indianapolis for the Indiana State Fair. 

I was walking from the Circle Center Mall towards the J.W. Marriott and the aforementioned escalators were still non functional. 

When I reached inside the actual convention center, I saw a couple of workers maintaining their escalators.  I asked who maintains the World of Wonder garage escalators, and they said they just picked up the contract. 

Due to the previous contract with a different vendor, those World Of Wonder garage escalators were not as regularly maintained. 

Going forward, the World Of Wonder garage escalators should be more reliable.

And now back to your regularly scheduled coffee break.

Posted by wells al_kesselring

al_kesselring wrote:
As most of us know, the World Of Wonder garage escalators between the Circle Center Mall and the convention center were non operational from both directions for this year..............and well, let's face it, one or both escalator directions were not working during the convention all these years. 

This week, I drove back to Indianapolis for the Indiana State Fair. 

I was walking from the Circle Center Mall towards the J.W. Marriott and the aforementioned escalators were still non functional. 

When I reached inside the actual convention center, I saw a couple of workers maintaining their escalators.  I asked who maintains the World of Wonder garage escalators, and they said they just picked up the contract. 

Due to the previous contract with a different vendor, those World Of Wonder garage escalators were not as regularly maintained. 

Going forward, the World Of Wonder garage escalators should be more reliable.

And now back to your regularly scheduled coffee break.

Good info! I was there at GenCon 50 and they were broke...

Posted by hahnarama

OK not trying to be a smart ass but when escalators stop running don't they just turn into stairs?  I mean you can still walk up or down them

Posted by matthias9

I always figured they would shutoff due to someone hitting the autoshutoff feature.  With enough people going through there, there is bound to be one.

Posted by brotherbock hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:
OK not trying to be a smart ass but when escalators stop running don't they just turn into stairs?  I mean you can still walk up or down them

There are two kinds of escalatorers.

The first kind see escalators as ways to move without having to put in any effort yourself. These are the people who stand while on escalators.

The second kind see escalators as ways to move faster. These are the people who walk while on escalators.

A broken escalator will be no big deal for the second kind of person (because they'd be walking up them anyway, just in less time), but will be an inconvenience for the first kind of person.

Posted by buffythecatslayer hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:OK not trying to be a smart ass but when escalators stop running don't they just turn into stairs?  I mean you can still walk up or down them

There are people that can't manage stairs, especially escalator stairs (since they tend to be higher than regular stairs) due to injury/illness/handicap/whatever, so you are being a smartass.

Posted by austicke hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:OK not trying to be a smart ass but when escalators stop running don't they just turn into stairs?  I mean you can still walk up or down them

Now you tell me! I was stuck on those things for hours!

​​​​​​​_____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.