Super popular events
Posted by rayken

Where does everyone find out what the new hot board game/events are going to be ahead of time? I always feel like I see events selling out very quickly for particular games or board games ahead of time that end up in everyone's top 10 lists or something, like Scythe a few years back, and other hot games of the year.

How does everyone know ahead of time what to sign up for or what's going to be that years "Big" game to get into an event for? Usually the top 10 games lists I see are made after Event Registration and the big game events are already sold out.

Posted by traveller

TD
Nascrag
Baldman Games
Shadowrun

Those sell out every year

Posted by rayken traveller

traveller wrote:
TD
Nascrag
Baldman Games
Shadowrun
Those sell out every year
I was mostly referring to new games with events.

Posted by raidkillsbugsded

If you keep tabs on ‘gaming media’ over the next few months leading up to event registration, you can probably get an idea of the releases at Gen Con and in 2019 in general that would be ‘hot’...there are a plethora of podcasts, blogs, gaming websites and so on and so forth that you could follow to get a general idea at least...

Posted by rayken raidkillsbugsded

raidkillsbugsded wrote:
If you keep tabs on ‘gaming media’ over the next few months leading up to event registration, you can probably get an idea of the releases at Gen Con and in 2019 in general that would be ‘hot’...there are a plethora of podcasts, blogs, gaming websites and so on and so forth that you could follow to get a general idea at least...
Even BoardGameGeeks like, most anticipated, doesn't seem to populate until after May.

Posted by rutherfordr rayken

rayken wrote:Even BoardGameGeeks like, most anticipated, doesn't seem to populate until after May.

If you read through the BGG Origins Preview, you'll find some of the games that will be "new" at GenCon.

Posted by bushmaster

Paizo will be bring Pathfinder 2.0 at GenCon. I would expect events related to that new system will be popular.

Posted by hendelbolaf bushmaster

bushmaster wrote:
Paizo will be bring Pathfinder 2.0 at GenCon. I would expect events related to that new system will be popular.
There will likely be some instructional games of the new edition like there was of the playtest last year and Starfinder the year before that. Since 2nd edition will not actually debut in its final form until GenCon, I think this year will be the last year of the PFS under 1st edition rules. Gen Con 2020 will be the first year of nearly all the Paizo games being 2nd edition in my opinion.

Of course, I could be wrong, but that is the pattern they have followed the last two years.

Posted by quarex

Pathfinder 2.0?  Oh no.  I cannot even imagine what the D&D schism will look like after they add yet another "BACK IN MY DAY" opportunity to the wars, haha.  Curious to see whether it will be received like 4th Edition or like 5th Edition...

Posted by bith hendelbolaf

hendelbolaf wrote:
bushmaster wrote:
There will likely be some instructional games of the new edition like there was of the playtest last year and Starfinder the year before that. Since 2nd edition will not actually debut in its final form until GenCon, I think this year will be the last year of the PFS under 1st edition rules. Gen Con 2020 will be the first year of nearly all the Paizo games being 2nd edition in my opinion.Of course, I could be wrong, but that is the pattern they have followed the last two years.
If it releases at GenCon, why would you expect them *not* to use it at GenCon this year?

Posted by hendelbolaf bith

bithlord wrote:If it releases at GenCon, why would you expect them *not* to use it at GenCon this year?
I did not say that they would not use it this year, certainly they will. However, as it is just being released, they will probably not have the resources, i.e. GM's, players, etc., to fully roll it out as their main focus. 

Two years ago when they rolled out Starfinder at Gen Con there was limited scheduled play (Gen Con tickets), but they had a line to wait in for 1 hour demo play games. The GM's were not fully prepared and I knew more about some of the rules, than some of them did. That is simply because the rules officially came out Thursday of Gen Con.

Last year, they had a full assortment of Starfinder games with very well prepared GM's and players as the rules had been out for a year.

Last year, they rolled out the Pathfinder 2.0 playtest rules on Thursday of Gen Con and they had similar 1 hour demo game sessions. Again, the GM's knew the rules, but not as well as you would expect for normal Gen Con games. Now that it has been out since last August, everyone is much more familiar with the playlets rules. The question is how much will the 2.0 rules differ from the playlets rules?

I am just making assumptions based on past experience, but as this is a playtest becoming a new edition, maybe they feel everyone will be familiar with it enough to roll it out en masse. I still think this will be the last full year of 1st edition at Gen Con.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.