High Programmer event catalog online
Posted by chaos

I've updated the High Programmer event catalog for 2019. Assuming I didn't screw anything up, it should keep itself updated automatically.

I think the best part is the powerful search capabilities. Are you a 16-year-old looking to play an RPG and that fits in your free time between noon and 6pm on Thursday, and you need the GM to be willing to teach the rules? There are 229 are the moment! Looking for D&D games for adults who know the rules solid? There are 9 right now!

My site updated 4 times per day based on the official spreadsheet. As a result, it may be behind the official site as much as 12 hours, especially for number of tickets available.

Posted by scswan

Thank you. Use your site every year.

Posted by bloodyfire

is there a way to search by cost?

Posted by chaos

You cannot search by cost at the moment. I hadn't considered it before! It should be straightforward to add, I'll see what I can do. I will want to figure out what the use case is. What is your goal?

My immediate thought is that someone may want to limit their maximum price for budgeting reasons. I plan on implementing that.

Maybe someone would want a minimum price to avoid free events as a way to avoid newbie games? The existing minimum experience requirement seems like a better way to do that. I don't currently plan on implementing it. If someone has a use that they actively plan to use, please let me know!

I can imagine wanting to do searched based on price per hour, but only out of curiosity, not as a way to select events to attend. Probably better served by downloading the Excel file directly and playing around in a spreadsheet or similar. (I say this as someone who regularly calculates various statistics from the data out of curiosity.)

Posted by bloodyfire

I don't do any of that stuff, but mostly I am hoping to attend as many free events as possible because gencon is costing me an arm and a leg as is(I know it's the same for everyone) but this is my first time and I am 100% alone on like everything so I don't wanna spend too much trying things I've never done before and might not like. or try a bunch of cheaper stuff that I can space out more. experience would be a good way to check though, I'll try that

Posted by buffythecatslayer

For your first Gen Con, especially if you're coming alone, don't tie yourself to too many events.  See if there are any that you *really* want to do, and get tickets for those.  Then, you can buy some generics, and just pop into events that might have an open seat.  Note that to buy generics, you don't have to wait in the Customer Service or Will-Call lines; you can get them at the Event HQs, which have much smaller lines.

With an event budget of around $25, you could do plenty of stuff.  Note that everything in the exhibit hall is free (except the merch, obviously :-)).  You can spend 8 hours each day (6 on Sunday) just going from booth to booth doing free demos & games.

Posted by e4mafia

Alan, once again, you are the Hero of the people of Alpha Complex! Thanks again and again for your work each year to keep that site happening!

Posted by e4mafia buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:
For your first Gen Con, especially if you're coming alone, don't tie yourself to too many events.  See if there are any that you *really* want to do, and get tickets for those.  Then, you can buy some generics, and just pop into events that might have an open seat.  Note that to buy generics, you don't have to wait in the Customer Service or Will-Call lines; you can get them at the Event HQs, which have much smaller lines.
With an event budget of around $25, you could do plenty of stuff.  Note that everything in the exhibit hall is free (except the merch, obviously :-)).  You can spend 8 hours each day (6 on Sunday) just going from booth to booth doing free demos & games.
Thats some solid advice - for "mere mortals" (aka new Gencon-ites) limiting yourself to 2 ticketed events per day on your schedule is probably a good idea. I am about 95% there for RPGs and I've done very well for myself in the happiness department in scheduling 1 in the morning 1 in the evening, and playing the rest by ear and seeing what intrigues me. 

Your mileage will vary of course, but yea - don't even bother trying to jam pack the day. You won't last past Friday that way :)

Posted by mamabarry

Thank you so much!  I was looking for this site.  You are an MVP.  I do all the planning for my group which consists of all ages and experiences levels. I would be lost without your site.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.