Additional Sessions for Sold Out Games
Posted by bugwar

A lot of the games I want to play are sold out.
In the past, did additional sessions get scheduled later for sold out games?????

Posted by austicke

Many more events will be added up until August, but it depends on the game.

Posted by helenbb

Keep an eye on the events list. People can and do change their schedules and will cancel tickets. You might be able to pick up tickets for events that have dropped.

Posted by stahlnee

Keep in mind badge mailing cutoff and that buying a ticket for an event with paper tickets purchase after that will be waiting for you in the will call line.

Posted by komoridarkclaw

If nothing else as well, buy Generic Tickets and show up at the start time and place. Someone may no-show and you can step in (assuming the game runner accepts). There is one event I didn't get that I am hoping a ticket will be returned and I can get a guaranteed spot, but I will probably just show up and see if I can get in anyway if I can't get one.

~Komori

Posted by tokihughes

Posted by derekguder

Depends on the game. I would recommend contacting the company or group to encourage them to run more - and possibly volunteer to help them add that capacity.

-
Derek Guder
Senior Event & Program Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by joegamer

I’m running King of Tokyo Tournaments events and even though I submitted them for 36 they only let me have 18. After all three sold out the first day, I got them to up it 6 more each. I’ll just keep raising it every time it sells out. This is probably true for a lot of people, so keep checking. And come play a King of Tokyo tournament!!

Posted by joegamer

Due to the popularity of my King of Tokyo Tournaments,Gencon has increased all of them back to 36 players!!  Come join in the fun!! I’m running 

Posted by ja1214 derekguder

derekguder wrote:
Depends on the game. I would recommend contacting the company or group to encourage them to run more - and possibly volunteer to help them add that capacity.
-
Derek Guder
Gen Con LLC

Additionally, I contacted the group running an event I missed out on to get on an unofficial wait list for their events. They let me know they were adding more seats and then emailed me once the additional seats went live. Got in :)

Posted by derekguder

It is worth noting, however, that there should not really be an "unofficial wait list" - that's showing up with generics and GMs shouldn't be reserving open seats for players who aren't there yet, really.

-
Derek Guder
Gen Con LLC

Posted by ja1214 derekguder

derekguder wrote:
It is worth noting, however, that there should not really be an "unofficial wait list" - that's showing up with generics and GMs shouldn't be reserving open seats for players who aren't there yet, really.
-
Derek Guder
Gen Con LLC

It wasn't a reserved seat or promise of one. They simply notified me when they saw the additional seats get posted to the events database.  I still had to see their email and beat the rush to purchase the ticket from the added seats. 

They in no way indicated there being a wait list on their end; that's just what I called the situation. 

Posted by joegamer

Additional spots for King of Tokyo Tournaments have been added. 

Posted by rutherfordr helenbb

helenbb wrote:
Keep an eye on the events list. People can and do change their schedules and will cancel tickets. You might be able to pick up tickets for events that have dropped.

This is true -- I've managed to get tickets for all the events I want, just by being patient and checking regularly to see when tickets are available.

Posted by alans stahlnee

stahlnee wrote:
Keep in mind badge mailing cutoff and that buying a ticket for an event with paper tickets purchase after that will be waiting for you in the will call line.
When is that? looking through the site, but haven't found it yet...

Posted by austicke alans

alans wrote:
stahlnee wrote:Keep in mind badge mailing cutoff and that buying a ticket for an event with paper tickets purchase after that will be waiting for you in the will call line.

When is that? looking through the site, but haven't found it yet...

June 16.

Posted by bubba87pug

6 games (in all slots, that I want to play have been sold out since the first day they were available. I check multiple times a day and nothing is being added. It's getting frustrating enough I think this will be the last year my wife and I go to GenCon. We'll simply stick to a closer Con.

Thanks for listening (?) to the rant . . .

Posted by joegamer

Have you been to other cons. This Con has the most slots for the most variety of games. One thing you can do in the future is sign up sooner. But for this year, if the games are run by a group or company, you can ask them to do more slots. Otherwise, try
some new games. There are still a lot to choose from. 

Posted by matthias9 bubba87pug

bubba87pug wrote:
6 games (in all slots, that I want to play have been sold out since the first day they were available. I check multiple times a day and nothing is being added. It's getting frustrating enough I think this will be the last year my wife and I go to GenCon. We'll simply stick to a closer Con.

Sorry it's not working out for you.  Gen Con has so much awesomeness, unfortunately that creates tons of demand. You really want to hit that wishlist on the front end and try to get it processed right away.  I imagine you are aware that you can search for events and limit it so you only get events that aren't sold out.  There are open spots in many Escape Rooms, which I have been having fun with in recent years.

I have a few things I really like to get into.  But, I'd also say I'd have fun if I was in no official events.  And I think I've even had a year or two where that happened.  Exhibit Hall, game demos, Film Festival, Costumes in front of exhibit hall in Saturday, pickup games in the hotel.  All of that I do every year and it is all stuff you can just do by walk up.  Another great Convention thing is 'Are You a Werewolf', which you can get in with generics.  I also like to try to set a minimum of learning one new game each year.

Good luck!  I hope your convention turns around.

Posted by buffythecatslayer bubba87pug

bubba87pug wrote:6 games (in all slots, that I want to play have been sold out since the first day they were available. I check multiple times a day and nothing is being added. It's getting frustrating enough I think this will be the last year my wife and I go to GenCon. We'll simply stick to a closer Con.

You think you're the only person that didn't get any of their primary (or secondary, or tertiary) events?  Plenty of people are in the same boat.  A few take the "I'm never coming to Gen Con again" attitude; the rest find other things to do and still have a blast.  There's 30 hours of Exhibit Hall and over 15,000 events.  If you can't amuse yourself, you're not trying hard enough.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.