Southwest flights open
Posted by squirecam

Just an FYI. Southwest airlines flights are available for August. The cheapest fares are available now.

Posted by buffythecatslayer

If you’re booking this far in advance, best bet is to get some sort of cancellation/change insurance, or book with a card that includes it.  Anything can happen in 8 months; you don’t want to get stuck with tickets for which you will have to pay a hefty fee if your plans change.

Posted by squirecam buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:
If you’re booking this far in advance, best bet is to get some sort of cancellation/change insurance, or book with a card that includes it.  Anything can happen in 8 months; you don’t want to get stuck with tickets for which you will have to pay a hefty fee if your plans change.
Southwest flights are refundable or at least returnable for future airline credit. There are also no change fees (except the difference in cost for the new ticket).

That’s cool, I’ve never flown them, they don’t have too much service out of Newark.  Most other airlines hit you for significant fees to change.  If you’re not flying SW, definitely look into the insurance.

A few years ago, I was scheduled to fly back from Miami in 2 days, and they were predicting a massive blizzard for that day. I went to change my ticket for a day earlier, and United hit me up for $200 claiming that the change wasn’t weather related since I was flying before the blizzard. Took a few angry calls & a letter to get that reversed.

Posted by njseahawksfan buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:
That’s cool, I’ve never flown them, they don’t have too much service out of Newark.  

I've flown the past 3 years to Indianapolis for GenCon from Newark.

Yes, you can get there, but their options are limited, you can’t book open-jaw, and there are no non-stops.  Also, the United fare, with the open-jaw & non-stops, was much lower than SW unless you chose SW’s non-refundable fare, which leads back to my original point about insurance. *shrug*

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.