Parking Alternatives - Overnight Parking Downtown?
Posted by kaliena

Hi there,

Can you park overnight in the downtown lots, or for multiple days? I had a hard time even finding the actual business website for the lots vs the sites like Parkopedia and ParkingPanda.  A 24 rate of 17 is much better than 45, but not if you can't get in and out of your vehicle as needed and if there's some rules about how many days it can be there.

I"m allocating my budget and need an idea of parking downtown. Called Marriot and average is about 45 USD for on site downtown hotels. Ouch.

Many thanks,

Kaliena

Posted by selene314

Gate Ten sold parking passes through the Gen Con events system:
http://gencon.eventdb.us/keyword.php?searchBy=parking

I didn't use it myself, so I don't know how hard it actually was to get in and out during the middle of the weekend.

Posted by jolee103

I would recommend using GateTen. They sell parking passes through the Events listing, usually under Miscellaneous tab, in May when events go live. They have 24 hour security at each lot. They have a 24 hour shuttle that runs from each lot to the ICC. Last year a 5 day pass was $74 total. They do have shorter and longer parking passes at different prices. The shuttle is pretty reliable to get you from the lot to the ICC in about 15 minutes or so but it's dependent on traffic. They tend to run every 15 to 20 minutes from the big rush in the morning around 7am to at night, after 7pm. After that you may have to call them to tell them you need the shuttle but they'll be there right away. The shuttles can get crowded in the mornings and on Sunday at convention close, but during the day it's typically not hard to get on right away. And if you don't, there'll be another in a few minutes. 

Posted by kaliena jolee103

jolee103 wrote:
I would recommend using GateTen. They sell parking passes through the Events listing, usually under Miscellaneous tab, in May when events go live. They have 24 hour security at each lot. They have a 24 hour shuttle that runs from each lot to the ICC. Last year a 5 day pass was $74 total. They do have shorter and longer parking passes at different prices. The shuttle is pretty reliable to get you from the lot to the ICC in about 15 minutes or so but it's dependent on traffic. They tend to run every 15 to 20 minutes from the big rush in the morning around 7am to at night, after 7pm. After that you may have to call them to tell them you need the shuttle but they'll be there right away. The shuttles can get crowded in the mornings and on Sunday at convention close, but during the day it's typically not hard to get on right away. And if you don't, there'll be another in a few minutes. 
I think you may misunderstand my desire for parking. 

I don't want to shuttle into downtown from another campus, I want to have a downtown hotel and not pay $45 a day for parking. If I'm lucky enough to get downtown it would be great if Wed to Mon wasn't the same as a night at the hotel.  I don't plan to use my car after I arrive on Wed until I leave on Mon, assuming I get a downtown hotel.

edit: oooohhh okay okay I get it. This isn't the 'shuttle service' of gencon past this is just a strange way of offering parking 'near' the event but not really next to it.  

I'm more curious about the lots that are within a block or two and not affiliated with this program.

Posted by gib_rebeg

Virginia Ave. Garage(317) 916-1760
$15/day

This is where I park, it's right across the street from Marion County Jail, so you will see lots of police parking there and coming and going. So it's fairly safe to park there and leave it. Just don't leave stuff in the car that can be seen. It's 4 blocks east of the ICC.

Posted by cman811

Whenever my group gets a connected hotel we typically park at the Circle center Mall for the weekend.  I think the rate was 22/night last year.  Not as cheap as you can get other places, but it's connected by skywalk and is fairly convenient to use the car as sort of a storage shed while we're at the con.  

Posted by jillemoody

I have used ParkWhiz in the past to get cheaper rates for downtown parking. The last time we used it, I got parking in the Capital Commons garage for about $25/day. That was useful, since we our hotel was on the north side. The only problem was that I had to buy parking separately, since there was no in-out privileges with the pass. 

Last year we had a downtown hotel and used Gate 10. I thought about using ParkWhiz again, but Gate 10 was cheaper. We stopped in front of the hotel and I ran in and got our room. My husband then took the stuff up while I drove to Gate 10 and parked for the con. Used the shuttle to get back to the hotel. On Sunday, I took the shuttle and got the car. We loaded it back up and went back to Gate 10 to park so we could go back. It worked out fine. We did walk back to the car, since the shuttles were full when we wanted to leave. 

Posted by buffythecatslayer

If you don’t need your car for the 4 days, you could just park it in a shopping center or hotel with a large lot, then Uber/Lyft to it & back.

of course, that’s not secure, so if you’re looking for some security, Gate 10 is probably your best option at around $15/day

Posted by shibas

I've used Gate 10 since it became an option and find it's the best option around. The shuttle service is nice, but it can get busy at some times of the convention. The place is still in walking distance or you can pick up an bike Cab ride, there are usually a few of those waiting outside by the food trucks. 

Posted by ar6474

Staying at a DT hotel and will be buying the Gate 10 parking and leaving my car for 4 days. This is the least expensive option and you get in and out privileges with Gate 10. If you get there later and have to initially park in the back of a lot  and want a spot closer in the lot, just move it as the lot gets emptied out in the night.

Posted by hendelbolaf cman811

cman811 wrote:
Whenever my group gets a connected hotel we typically park at the Circle center Mall for the weekend.  I think the rate was 22/night last year.  Not as cheap as you can get other places, but it's connected by skywalk and is fairly convenient to use the car as sort of a storage shed while we're at the con.  
This gets my vote because I like to be able to check on my vehicle and drop items off at my leisure. I park there when I stay downtown or when I stay in remote hotels. I like it better than Gate 10 and it is only a little more expensive (if you Uber or Lyft in from Gate 10 then they are almost the same price) and much more convenient.

The problem is finding open spots on Thursday and Friday if you come in later in the morning.

They do have security and cameras, however, so that is nice!

Posted by mikeboozer

More information about Gate 10 parking will be coming soon.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager 
Gen Con LLC

Posted by msande75

I have a 27' class C motorhome. Does anyone know if there is a place for RV's to park?

Posted by aaronmlopez

msande75 - Gate 10 allows RVs to park there. There are no electric/water hookups that I know of though.

Posted by msande75

thanks, contacted gate ten. they had two spots with electric left available.

Posted by bushmaster mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:More information about Gate 10 parking will be coming soon.
Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager 
Gen Con LLC
Any hint if Gate Ten will use etickets?

Posted by x51

Okay, so I purchased gate ten parking. I got a notice that I paid, but have not received anything from them. Is there a pass or something that we are supposed to receive?

Posted by buffythecatslayer

I think you just show up with a copy of the email they sent.  

Posted by lordnerble

In and out privileges is a premium expense for parking lots and garages. Daily parking under 10$ is ez compared to daily parking with in/out. Depending on the hotel location and actual car use youd be better off parking farther and walking or lyft/uber if you really need to. I park about 10 blocks from hotel in a garage but I save >20$ a day doing that. I just drop gear at hotel and park for 5 days and walk everywhere. even if you need your car once or twice to run errands/grocery shop it still saves about the same amount. You can be savvy to, saturday night at 8/10/midmight(sorry i dont remember) the meters around indy become free until monday morning. save more money if you move to a meter spot saturnight later when most spots become available. Hope this helps with future ideas/planning

Posted by buffythecatslayer buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:I think you just show up with a copy of the email they sent.  

I just contacted Gate 10 about picking up the pass, since my friend is the one that actually ordered it.  You will need to have some form of ID, probably a driver's license, to pick up the parking pass.  They didn't say if a badge would be sufficient, but since you're driving there anyway, shouldn't be that big a deal.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.