Annual "Make Housing Fair" Discussion (Summary)
1 3 4 5
1 3 4 5
Posted by suburbaknght

Just thought I'd post my piece preemptively this year.

Okay, here we go: the annual Gen Con Make Housing Fair Again discussion:

- Someone points out the current system is unfair citing their particular case as evidence.  This is not in any way biased.

- Various people suggest tying housing to other measures of need/value/merit including years of attendance, events run, personal need, etc.  By sheer coincidence these suggestions just happen to be measures that would favor these people.

- Someone suggests doing away with housing entirely.

- Free market vs. communism discussion occurs.  Shockingly enough no one makes an Ayn Rand reference.- Someone points out that it's possible to have a good Gen Con experience without a downtown hotel.  No one listens to them.

- People point out that some people need a downtown hotel room due to kids, disabilities, etc.  When someone responds that going to Gen Con itself is not a need they will be met with an angry response about "my vacation" that does not actually address the point.

- The admins, having been quite for most of the discussion, issue a warning against personal attacks.

- A month after the convention Gen Con sends out a series of customer satisfaction surveys.  The results from the thousands of attendees who fill these out guide the convention's future decisions instead of the comparatively fewer angry people on the forums.  Our argument has solved nothing and serves merely as a bunch of sound and fury signifying nothing.

- After billions of years, the sun becomes a red giant and expands to several magnitudes its current size.  The first four planets are engulfed.  Earth and with it humanity die.  Competition for downtown housing drops to an all-time low.

There, I saved you some time. 

Posted by pcorey

Um, I think you just won the internet.

Posted by suburbaknght

Thanks.  It's a post I wrote a few years ago and repost each Housing since it seems to remain relevant.

Posted by roderick suburbaknght

suburbaknght wrote:
- The admins, having been quite for most of the discussion, issue a warning against personal attacks.

Just to get it in early: 

"Okay guys, calm down, don't make me nuke this thread." 

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

Posted by funny-shaped dice suburbaknght

suburbaknght wrote:
Someone points out that it's possible to have a good Gen Con experience without a downtown hotel.  No one listens to them.

Yep. Me. For sure. Over and over.  Apologizing in advance: Sorry guys...

...and, its true, no one listens.  *snif*

Posted by gib_rebeg funny-shaped dice

funny-shaped dice wrote:
suburbaknght wrote:
Someone points out that it's possible to have a good Gen Con experience without a downtown hotel.  No one listens to them.

Yep. Me. For sure. Over and over.  Apologizing in advance: Sorry guys......and, its true, no one listens.  *snif*
I tend to go the opposite way LOL.

To me, if you go and freak, whine, demand full refunds or special preferential treatment above and beyond everyone else because (Enter reason here), to proclaim that "I'm NOT going!!!!" because it's all "RUINED".

While refusing to listen to advice from others on other options of don't let it be the end of it all.

Then sorry, you're fair game.

I get it, we all want the best experience each year, and there are other options. Including DT hotels not on the list. (Cough La Quinta Inn & Suites Indianapolis Downtown). 

But if you're going to cry and carry on, then sorry, I won't help you, may just egg a little for S&G.

I want everyone to have a great time, but act like an adult.

Posted by cbudoris

"Someone points out that it's possible to have a good Gen Con experience without a downtown hotel.  No one listens to them."
LOLZ....

Forgot this one:

• Someone mentions the possibility of moving Gen Con to another city, and eventually that city becomes Vegas since its virtually the only one with a higher concentration of hotels in their downtown.  Never mind that holding it in Vegas would change the entire nature of the con from Gen Con taking over downtown Indy, to Vegas taking over Gen Con.

Posted by andrewj.rager cbudoris

cbudoris wrote:
"Someone points out that it's possible to have a good Gen Con experience without a downtown hotel.  No one listens to them."
LOLZ....
Forgot this one:

• Someone mentions the possibility of moving Gen Con to another city, and eventually that city becomes Vegas since its virtually the only one with a higher concentration of hotels in their downtown.  Never mind that holding it in Vegas would change the entire nature of the con from Gen Con taking over downtown Indy, to Vegas taking over Gen Con.

Every other isle of the vendor hall would be slot machines as that is what "gaming" is in Vegas. Please Gen Con never go there.

Posted by david campbell suburbaknght

suburbaknght wrote:
Just thought I'd post my piece preemptively this year.
Okay, here we go: the annual Gen Con Make Housing Fair Again discussion:- Someone points out the current system is unfair citing their particular case as evidence.  This is not in any way biased.
- Various people suggest tying housing to other measures of need/value/merit including years of attendance, events run, personal need, etc.  By sheer coincidence these suggestions just happen to be measures that would favor these people.
- Someone suggests doing away with housing entirely.
- Free market vs. communism discussion occurs.  Shockingly enough no one makes an Ayn Rand reference.- Someone points out that it's possible to have a good Gen Con experience without a downtown hotel.  No one listens to them.
- People point out that some people need a downtown hotel room due to kids, disabilities, etc.  When someone responds that going to Gen Con itself is not a need they will be met with an angry response about "my vacation" that does not actually address the point.
- A month after the convention Gen Con sends out a series of customer satisfaction surveys.  The results from the thousands of attendees who fill these out guide the convention's future decisions instead of the comparatively fewer angry people on the forums.  Our argument has solved nothing and serves merely as a bunch of sound and fury signifying nothing.
- After billions of years, the sun becomes a red giant and expands to several magnitudes its current size.  The first four planets are engulfed.  Earth and with it humanity die.  Competition for downtown housing drops to an all-time low.
There, I saved you some time. 

Well done. When (not if) these threads pop up, just link them to this one.

Posted by technoir

What a useful post! :)

Tho you forgot to add 

- Someone posts about why Gen Con has just OUTGROWN Indy and should move to X city, which happens to be much closer for them. 
Of course this person doesn't realize that unique attendees have remained about the same while hotels have expanded. 

Posted by suburbaknght

TBF, when I originally wrote this post it was in the style of another post summarizing all the "Gen Con needs to move cities" threads.  Glad people are enjoying it!

Posted by andrewj.rager

I do enjoy how meta the conversation about all the perceived "problems" with Gen Con.

Posted by cbudoris technoir

irontk wrote:
What a useful post! :)
Tho you forgot to add 
- Someone posts about why Gen Con has just OUTGROWN Indy and should move to X city, which happens to be much closer for them. 
Of course this person doesn't realize that unique attendees have remained about the same while hotels have expanded. 

*already got that covered!

Posted by helenbb

There isn't enough downtown housing at GenCon to meet demand. The same can be said of other big cons I attend. No con/event is perfect. But GenCon does an excellent job overall, enough that I will deal with the housing issue in order to attend.

Posted by mikeboozer helenbb

helenbb wrote:
There isn't enough downtown housing at GenCon to meet demand. The same can be said of other big cons I attend. No con/event is perfect. But GenCon does an excellent job overall, enough that I will deal with the housing issue in order to attend.

"So shines a good deed in a weary world"

Posted by mikeboozer cbudoris

cbudoris wrote:
LOLZ....
Forgot this one:

The "Move to Vegas" telling it like it is! 

Posted by mathistopheles

GenCon housing problems? Back in my day we slept in the skywalk between the Millwaukee convention center and the Arena across the street. Grumble grumble dice with more than 6 sides and WWII.

Posted by traveller mathistopheles

mathistopheles wrote:
GenCon housing problems? Back in my day we slept in the skywalk between the Millwaukee convention center and the Arena across the street. Grumble grumble dice with more than 6 sides and WWII.

Heck, back in the day if you couldn't afford/find a hotel there was always student dorm rooms.....

Say, aren't there colleges in Indy.....

Posted by ascantla

I think I've seen more posts preempting the "X is wrong with GenCon" posts this year than I have in any previous year.

Posted by del_grande

And if you can't get a downtown room at GenCon this year, well, there's always Origins in Columbus...except that all of the hotels within a mile of the Columbus Convention Center are also already sold out (gee, you don't think having Origins and the Columbus PRIDE Parade at the same time in the same place has anything to do with that, do you?)

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3 4 5
1 3 4 5