Housing portal “live news coverage” on Facebook
1 3
1 3
Posted by squirecam

So it was a bit over 2 hours......

Posted by buffythecatslayer

Sellout time seems to have been 2:11pm.

Posted by funny-shaped dice

*** Edited 2:11pm ETDOWNTOWN HOTELS WITH ROOMS AVAILABLENone.

Posted by austicke

Thanks for posting updates here, funny-shaped dice!

Last year, downtown rooms sold out at 3:55pm. Based on tighter access times this year, I predicted they'd go at 2:45pm today. Actually sold out at 2:11pm.

_____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

Posted by wolverine789

This is our first year going so I know this question may have already been asked. Do the downtown hotels ever open back up later like if someone can't go and if so how do we find out this information?
 

Posted by cman811

My group was able to get a spot downtown this year.  That said I think I prefer the longer less-condensed thing they did last year.  It just seemed more....chill.  

Posted by cman811 wolverine789

wolverine789 wrote:
This is our first year going so I know this question may have already been asked. Do the downtown hotels ever open back up later like if someone can't go and if so how do we find out this information?
 
As people cancel they'll pop back up into the portal.  More show up the closer it gets to A.  The con and B.  When hotels charge for one night.  The only thing you can do is to keep checking the portal.  Like, every 10 or 15 minutes.  Its stressful and annoying, but if you're vigilant about it you can get a room.  

Posted by funny-shaped dice cman811

cman811 wrote:
...I think I prefer the longer less-condensed thing they did last year.  It just seemed more....chill.  

I did too *but* that really makes it hard for people that need to get up and go to work on Monday morning. While compressed - and more of a feeding frenzy - the fact remains that there is more demand than capacity and, at least with a condensed window, people on the outer edge don't have to stay up as late.

Posted by squirecam wolverine789

wolverine789 wrote:
This is our first year going so I know this question may have already been asked. Do the downtown hotels ever open back up later like if someone can't go and if so how do we find out this information?
 
options

1 - keep checking the portal. People do drop rooms from time to time. But you will have to invest a lot of time checking back.

2 - get a room at a hotel not in the block. There are hotels that don’t use the system, or higher cost rooms at block hotels. These are 400+ a night though.

3 - stay outside of downtown 

Posted by wolverine789 cman811

cman811 wrote:
wolverine789 wrote:
This is our first year going so I know this question may have already been asked. Do the downtown hotels ever open back up later like if someone can't go and if so how do we find out this information?
As people cancel they'll pop back up into the portal.  More show up the closer it gets to A.  The con and B.  When hotels charge for one night.  The only thing you can do is to keep checking the portal.  Like, every 10 or 15 minutes.  Its stressful and annoying, but if you're vigilant about it you can get a room.  

Awesome. Thank you for the heads up. 

Posted by funny-shaped dice

Just saw someone comment on the Facebook group that "Uber" from Candlewood to the ICC is only $4.  I don't know how true that is when *demand* kicks in *but* staying outside of downtown and using Uber / Lyft / whatever, can get you much of the same experience at a lower cost.  

Last year was my first time staying downtown. Not lying: it was a nicer experience *primarily* because my wife and I could move on different schedules.  I'm more "late night" and "hard core" than she is so when our schedules didn't line up, I'd make sure she got safely back to the downtown room and then go hang out with my buddies.  

Every year prior to that, I've stayed out of downtown and, other than having to moderate any drinking even closer, the experience wasn't really any different *and* I saved a lot of money. Thankfully, I *hate* the feeling of being drunk so the bar scene isn't really all that big of a draw for me after hours.  Mostly I like just hanging out with my friends (new and old) and chatting about gaming.

Posted by bloodyfire

First timer, 

Since downtown sold out, if I book a farther hotel n a downtown becomes available later am I able to switch to the more preferred hotel? 

Posted by squirecam bloodyfire

bloodyfire wrote:
First timer, 
Since downtown sold out, if I book a farther hotel n a downtown becomes available later am I able to switch to the more preferred hotel? 
there is a way to modify and cancel your reservation if you get a DT room.

Posted by bloodyfire squirecam

squirecam wrote:
bloodyfire wrote:
First timer, 
Since downtown sold out, if I book a farther hotel n a downtown becomes available later am I able to switch to the more preferred hotel? 
there is a way to modify and cancel your reservation if you get a DT room.
Thanks, so I can secure a backup hotel so I have one and if I change my mind I can later switch and modify. Thanks 

online
Posted by mikeboozer

From our Housing and Travel Page.

MODIFICATION POLICY
 You can modify your room assignment as needed and free of charge, provided the assignment is not cancelled in its entirety. Free modifications include change of hotel, room type, stay dates, roommates, guest contact information, special requests such as ADA Accessible room, and credit card information. Changes can be performed from the time you receive the initial assignment acknowledgment through the close of housing registration on July 15, 2019.

 To modify or cancel your room assignment, log into your Gen Con account, visit your "My Housing" page, and click the “Manage Room” link for the assigned room you'd like to change. The link will connect you with the online system where you can make the desired adjustments. Changes will not go into effect unless you click the “submit” button to confirm the change; closing your browser before submitting the change will leave the original assignment intact.


Posted by selene314 bloodyfire

bloodyfire wrote:
squirecam wrote:
bloodyfire wrote:
First timer, 
Since downtown sold out, if I book a farther hotel n a downtown becomes available later am I able to switch to the more preferred hotel? 
there is a way to modify and cancel your reservation if you get a DT room.
Thanks, so I can secure a backup hotel so I have one and if I change my mind I can later switch and modify. Thanks 

You should also shop around for hotels not included in Gen Con's block that might be cheaper or have features you prefer.
Outside of downtown, the block doesn't have a monopoly on hotel rooms, and there's less of a rush to book today.

Note that if you book in-block and then CANCEL (not just switch to a different hotel), there's a $50 fee.

Posted by bloodyfire selene314

selene314 wrote:
bloodyfire wrote:
squirecam wrote:
bloodyfire wrote:
First timer, 
Since downtown sold out, if I book a farther hotel n a downtown becomes available later am I able to switch to the more preferred hotel? 
there is a way to modify and cancel your reservation if you get a DT room.
Thanks, so I can secure a backup hotel so I have one and if I change my mind I can later switch and modify. Thanks 

You should also shop around for hotels not included in Gen Con's block that might be cheaper or have features you prefer.
Outside of downtown, the block doesn't have a monopoly on hotel rooms, and there's less of a rush to book today.Note that if you book in-block and then CANCEL (not just switch to a different hotel), there's a $50 fee.
if i switch in block though I don't get charged that fee correct? thanks again

Posted by funny-shaped dice bloodyfire

bloodyfire wrote:
selene314 wrote:
bloodyfire wrote:
squirecam wrote:
bloodyfire wrote:
First timer, 
Since downtown sold out, if I book a farther hotel n a downtown becomes available later am I able to switch to the more preferred hotel? 
there is a way to modify and cancel your reservation if you get a DT room.
Thanks, so I can secure a backup hotel so I have one and if I change my mind I can later switch and modify. Thanks 

You should also shop around for hotels not included in Gen Con's block that might be cheaper or have features you prefer.
Outside of downtown, the block doesn't have a monopoly on hotel rooms, and there's less of a rush to book today.Note that if you book in-block and then CANCEL (not just switch to a different hotel), there's a $50 fee.
if i switch in block though I don't get charged that fee correct? thanks again

Correct.  Changes (including switching from one hotel to another) are free.  if you flat-out cancel your reservation, you get charged $50

Posted by brumcg

Thanks for doing the updates, Alec.  It's VERY helpful.

Hopefully we'll have better luck next year!

Posted by austicke

My pleasure.

_____________________________________
​​​​​​​Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3
1 3