Rooms going faster than last year?
1 3
1 3
Posted by armadilloal noahco

noahco wrote:
I'm just curious as to what changed, would be interesting of staff chimed in but I figured it has to be:
- More people allowed per time slot
- More VIGs
- Less rooms
Someone abusing the system via multiple accounts wouldn't change the rate rooms are booked so i doubt that's it.

The first one was definitely true.  Times went out as late as 10pm last year, whereas the latest time I saw this year on social media was ~6:30.  Unless they somehow had a ~35% drop in badge pre-registration, then they absolutely had more people in each time slot.

Can't speak for the others.

Posted by noahco

Yeah, for my group of 18 people the latest we got was 6:45 EST.  There could have been less people though since they moved it up a couple weeks from previous years.

Posted by rayken

Something definitely changed from last year. I believe a ton more people were slotted into the 12:00 to 12:30 slots.

Posted by david campbell rayken

rayken wrote:
Something definitely changed from last year. I believe a ton more people were slotted into the 12:00 to 12:30 slots.

I'm guessing there may have been some infrastructure improvements so that the load was better distributed. I've never had a time before 7pm in years past, and it sounds like no one was PAST 7pm this year. One of our group had 12:32 and there was no latency or issues getting the reservation processed. 

Posted by roanders

My theory is that Gen Con is busier on years when it starts earlier.  A lot of schools start early August, so July 31-August 4 might be early enough that more people are able to take their families/kids.

Posted by buffythecatslayer

It was the exact same time last year. The slots were closer together this year. 

Posted by wells

Slots closer together would be my guess between this year and last.

As to VIG, I think that they would be a much smaller part of the housing block that the Gen Con staff, the exhibitors and all their staff. In the last 10 years the exhibit hall has expanded also, that takes room from the housing block pool before normal attendees see it.

Posted by bigfathairyguy wells

wells wrote:
Slots closer together would be my guess between this year and last.
As to VIG, I think that they would be a much smaller part of the housing block that the Gen Con staff, the exhibitors and all their staff. In the last 10 years the exhibit hall has expanded also, that takes room from the housing block pool before normal attendees see it.

To this day it still makes no sense to me why Gencon doesn't move most of the exhibitors and staff to outer hotels. Logistics wise it would be much easier to provide shuttle services to this group and provide parking spaces if needed to this group. If I was a dealer I would actually want this especially if it meant more people would attend and spend more money with my company.

Posted by buffythecatslayer

If I had to spend 10+ hours a day in the hall, on my feet, I'd want a room close by to take a break, shower, or just relax, and so I could also maybe do some events in the evening.

Gen Con pretty much sells out every year, so the few people that won't attend because they can't get a downtown room are not a factor in vendor sales.

Posted by hendelbolaf

Yep, I played in some late night and overnight games with vendors who wanted to get some gaming in themselves.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3
1 3