Shula's Steakhouse Closing
online
Posted by helenbb

I just got an email from Shula's Indianapolis, stating that they are closing in February. I have no idea why. We went to Shula's every GenCon for a great dinner at a great price (their GenCon special prix fixe menu was a terrific deal). 

I can only hope that whatever restaurant goes in its place will be good. 

Posted by aldctjoc

Whoa: According to the Indianapolis Business Journal, it was the Westin who made the decision, not Shula's:
https://www.ibj.com/articles/72197-longtime-downtown-steakhouse-shulas-preparing-to-close

"A representative for Shula’s told IBJ that the decision to leave the downtown Westin, 241 W. Washington St., was made by the hotel and not the restaurant. She said Shula’s would be open to operating another Indianapolis restaurant but doesn’t have current plans to relocate."

I didn't know that before. I just found that article now, while I was looking for this different one to post: 
https://www.indystar.com/story/entertainment/dining/2019/01/24/indianapolis-restaurant-closings-shulas-steakhouse/2668894002/

That story was that Shula's was the 3rd steakhouse to close in downtown Indianapolis this year. It also has a statement from the Westin that contradicts the ibj.com article linked above: 

"In a written statement, Westin Indianapolis general manager Andy Seal said, "The decision to close was a joint decision between hotel ownership and the restaurant management company. The lease was at its end and it was an opportunity to make a change."

Wow. I just discovered a whole lot tonight that I didn't know just 10 minutes before. Looks like the Westin is trying to spin positive a decision that Shula's didn't agree with. Unexpected drama, and all found when just trying to locate an article. :)

Posted by rhone1

Hotels change their restaurants all the time folks, this isn't a big deal.  Tastes change, trends change.  Maybe the Westin (which is now owned by Marriott) wanted a different restaurant?  Shula's was a decent steak house, I liked the food there and ate there many times while on business in Indianapolis.  My guess is that it will be replaced quickly by something that the hotel owners think will do better.

Posted by deadsaidfred

Definitely sorry to hear about that...  

We had a great dinner at St. Elmo's last year to close out the week.    I am pretty sure they had a special fixed price deal also.

Good luck!

Posted by andrewj.rager

So Noodles (Flood), Scotty's, Hard Rock Cafe, and now Shula's have all closed since last Gen Con. There are probably others I am missing too. An odd trend seems to be brewing.

Posted by buffythecatslayer

Restaurants turn over all the time.  One goes out, another comes in.  It's a volatile industry.
 

online
Posted by hahnarama andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
So Noodles (Flood), Scotty's, Hard Rock Cafe, and now Shula's have all closed since last Gen Con. There are probably others I am missing too. An odd trend seems to be brewing.
Nothing odd...

Scotty's was BAD management. They just closed another location on Wed evening in the middle of dinner. Told everyone to get out they were closing for good at 7:00 PM

Hard Rock? I had a few company functions there over the years and they were gods awful service and food every time

Noodles just wasn't that popular with the downtown workers and I the fire damage last year didn't help

and finally Shula's if I'm getting a steak in Indy its Ruth's Chris first then St Elmo's.  IMO Shula's never had a good cut of steak. 

 

Posted by lehane andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
So Noodles (Flood), Scotty's, Hard Rock Cafe, and now Shula's have all closed since last Gen Con. There are probably others I am missing too. An odd trend seems to be brewing.
Shula's was the result of over saturation of steak houses in the area. There is still 10 or so in the area still going. That has to be competitive. 

Posted by keithbradburn

Broken English that was Tilted Kilt that was Jillians is now closed.

Broken English Closes
 

Posted by andrewj.rager keithbradburn

keithbradburn wrote:
Broken English that was Tilted Kilt that was Jillians is now closed.
Broken English Closes
 
Man that's a shame, had that on my list to try this year. Scratch another off the list. lol

Posted by brooks

The downtown restaurant scene in Indianapolis seems to be particularly volatile, probably because there are simply so many places to eat. 

Has anyone heard if anything new is going into the spaces at Scotty's and/or Shula's? 

Posted by stevespikes brooks

brooks wrote:
The downtown restaurant scene in Indianapolis seems to be particularly volatile, probably because there are simply so many places to eat. 
Has anyone heard if anything new is going into the spaces at Scotty's and/or Shula's? 
. . . and the space where Noodles & Company once was, for that matter.

Posted by jstrthejuglr andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
keithbradburn wrote:
Broken English that was Tilted Kilt that was Jillians is now closed.
Broken English Closes
Man that's a shame, had that on my list to try this year. Scratch another off the list. lol
Tried Broken English last year. Wasn't all that great so I'm not surprised it closed.

Posted by andrewj.rager jstrthejuglr

jstrthejuglr wrote:
andrewj.rager wrote:
keithbradburn wrote:
Broken English that was Tilted Kilt that was Jillians is now closed.
Broken English Closes
Man that's a shame, had that on my list to try this year. Scratch another off the list. lol
Tried Broken English last year. Wasn't all that great so I'm not surprised it closed.
Well I guess that's good to know at least. Going to have to find a Mexican place to try for this year. We tried Urban Eats Grill and Cantina last year, and I wasn't impressed either.

Posted by aldctjoc andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:Going to have to find a Mexican place to try for this year. We tried Urban Eats Grill and Cantina last year, and I wasn't impressed either.

Tried Nada's yet, between the Yard House and Hampton Inn? There's also The Tamale Place in City Market. That last I need to get to at some point; that location closes at, of all times, 4pm :-| . Which necessitates some planning. 

I don't know of any other Central/South American restaurants downtown, but there has to be more. 

Posted by andrewj.rager aldctjoc

aldctjoc wrote:
andrewj.rager wrote:Going to have to find a Mexican place to try for this year. We tried Urban Eats Grill and Cantina last year, and I wasn't impressed either.

Tried Nada's yet, between the Yard House and Hampton Inn? There's also The Tamale Place in City Market. That last I need to get to at some point; that location closes at, of all times, 4pm :-| . Which necessitates some planning. I don't know of any other Central/South American restaurants downtown, but there has to be more. 
Haven't tried Nada's yet. I thought it looked fancier than we would probably go to, but I could be wrong. We may have to try it this year. Anyone got a opinion on it?

Posted by keithbradburn andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
aldctjoc wrote:
andrewj.rager wrote:Going to have to find a Mexican place to try for this year. We tried Urban Eats Grill and Cantina last year, and I wasn't impressed either.

Tried Nada's yet, between the Yard House and Hampton Inn? There's also The Tamale Place in City Market. That last I need to get to at some point; that location closes at, of all times, 4pm :-| . Which necessitates some planning. I don't know of any other Central/South American restaurants downtown, but there has to be more. 
Haven't tried Nada's yet. I thought it looked fancier than we would probably go to, but I could be wrong. We may have to try it this year. Anyone got a opinion on it?
I have been to Nada several times.  It is definitely not your "typical" Mexican restaurant.  Reservations are recommended.

Posted by fethbone andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
aldctjoc wrote:
andrewj.rager wrote:Going to have to find a Mexican place to try for this year. We tried Urban Eats Grill and Cantina last year, and I wasn't impressed either.

Tried Nada's yet, between the Yard House and Hampton Inn? There's also The Tamale Place in City Market. That last I need to get to at some point; that location closes at, of all times, 4pm :-| . Which necessitates some planning. I don't know of any other Central/South American restaurants downtown, but there has to be more. 
Haven't tried Nada's yet. I thought it looked fancier than we would probably go to, but I could be wrong. We may have to try it this year. Anyone got a opinion on it?
I've been before. I thought it was pretty good, nothing mind-blowing. They have GenCon specials as well if I remember correctly. They do have items that are a little more fusion-y than a typical Mexican restaurant (Mac n' Cheese, Fried Rice, Mu Shu pork tacos, etc.), and you are not going to find anything super-heavy like giant burritos, chimichangas, etc. So I guess it just depends what you want. 

Posted by andrewj.rager

Ok so this is my current dinning list for the 8 meals we will eat in Indy. We bring things for breakfast. Need 1 or 2 more. (*=New for us)

Giordano's Pizza
Burger Study (Probably twice)
Claddaugh Irish Pub *New
Primanti Bros
Nada *New
(The Old Spaghetti Factory or Buca di Beppo)

Posted by syntruth andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:(The Old Spaghetti Factory or Buca di Beppo)

...just don't do a full Buca di Beppo before a 4 hour Mage game that starts at 10pm. :)  Speaking from experience.  Food was awesome, trying to stay awake not so much.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1