Shuttles
Posted by npiccini

This is my second time going.  Last time, there were a series of shuttles that hit the block hotels - I think I was on the blue line - That was five years ago.  

Is there still a shuttle service? Does anyone know?

Posted by aaronr

The shuttle service was not very well loved due to various problems (not on time, not enough shuttles, and not the best customer service) from what I recall. I do not believe it has run the past 2 years. Last year there was a special discount code for Lyft that was available during the days of Gen Con.

Posted by squirecam aaronr

aaronr wrote:
The shuttle service was not very well loved due to various problems (not on time, not enough shuttles, and not the best customer service) from what I recall. I do not believe it has run the past 2 years. Last year there was a special discount code for Lyft that was available during the days of Gen Con.
unfortunately instead of fixing the issues they just dropped it and stopped trying.

Posted by bugwar squirecam

squirecam wrote:

unfortunately instead of fixing the issues they just dropped it and stopped trying.
Was the service run by the government or the convention?

Posted by squirecam

It was contracted out to a third party IIRC.

Posted by del_grande

IIRC, the shuttles ran in 2014 and 2015, and both years had problems.

The first year, if you weren't at a hotel near the start of a line, chances are, when the shuttle got to your hotel, you would be told, "Sorry, this one's full; wait for the next one." Needless to say, the next few buses had the same problem. The problem also existed going in the other direction, and as shuttles ran once an hour, a lot of people had to wait quite a while to get one going back to their hotel - if they could get one before they stopped running for the night.

The second year, they tried fixing this with a reservation system. The problem with this is, you would have to know in advance when you were done at the convention - something not possible if there is a chance you will qualify for a tournament round that takes place at night.

Both years had another problem: the buses to the convention ran only in the morning (except for some that ran on Saturday night, I think), and the ones back to the hotels ran only in the evening, so you were pretty much stuck at the convention center all day, which is not a good thing if you're carrying a lot of stuff you bought in the dealer's area.

Posted by quarex

My question is, is the GoGreen Downtown Indianapolis Airport Shuttle different from the one everyone is complaining about?  Because this sure sounds like an ideal solution but I have never used it to be sure.  O.K. yes I realize this is an airport-specific shuttle but a lot of people seem to end up in airport hotels so it seems relevant :)

Posted by selene314 quarex

quarex wrote:
My question is, is the GoGreen Downtown Indianapolis Airport Shuttle different from the one everyone is complaining about?  Because this sure sounds like an ideal solution but I have never used it to be sure.  O.K. yes I realize this is an airport-specific shuttle but a lot of people seem to end up in airport hotels so it seems relevant :)

Yes, that's a different shuttle. The airport shuttle goes from the airport terminal to the downtown hotels and ICC. It does not stop at hotels around the airport.
Now, those hotels probably have their own shuttles to the airport, which you could take and then transfer to the GoGreen shuttle. But for a lot of hotels that's going pretty far out of the way.

The shuttle people are complaining about was arranged by Gen Con to run to most of the hotels in the housing block.

Posted by bushmaster quarex

quarex wrote:
I used this service a couple of years ago when I was leaving from downtown and it worked very well to get me from downtown to the airport.

Posted by roundtop

I've used GoGreen twice (2 separate gencons). It worked great for me, travelling on my own (once) and with a friend.

Book ahead of time to guarantee your place, especially for arrival. For to the airport, book your approx time, but you can get any that day as long as you have a ticket (and they have room on the shuttle).  It picks up at several hotels by the ICC (Closest stop is right out front of the JW).

Posted by technoir

It is UNBELIEVABLE that Gen Con is unable to have a reasonable, good shuttle system. I went to Star Wars Celebration a couple weeks ago, and I was shocked how good they were. 

It wouldn't be that expensive. They could literally raise badge prices by 2 bucks, and fund a 24hr shuttle system for the convention. 
If they wanted to go cheaper and charge $1, they could have a system that ran in the morning, and in the evening, with a break mid day, and a break middle of the night. 

I used to work for a coach bus company part time. 

Posted by squirecam technoir

People paid $50 for the shuttle service. You don’t need to raise general badge prices, but you could.

What they needed was larger busses (many were smaller airport shuttles) and there were not enough of them.

They already had an evening break. The last shuttle was 11 or midnight. It was still terrible service and large lines. 

Unfortunately Indy lacks proper rail service between its hotels and convention space/downtown which other cities have and make it much easier. It’s why the hotel prices out of block are insane, because they know space is limited.

Posted by bugwar squirecam

squirecam wrote:Unfortunately Indy lacks proper rail service between its hotels and convention space/downtown which other cities have and make it much easier. 

I guess the taxpayers have better things to do with their money.
Rail ain't cheap.

"The cost of light rail construction varies widely, largely depending on the amount of tunneling and elevated structures required. A survey of North American light rail projects shows that costs of most LRT systems range from $15 million to over $100 million per mile."

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_rail

How many miles of rail were you planning on charging the citizens of Indianapolis for?

Posted by technoir squirecam

squirecam wrote:
People paid $50 for the shuttle service. You don’t need to raise general badge prices, but you could.
What they needed was larger busses (many were smaller airport shuttles) and there were not enough of them.
They already had an evening break. The last shuttle was 11 or midnight. It was still terrible service and large lines. 
Unfortunately Indy lacks proper rail service between its hotels and convention space/downtown which other cities have and make it much easier. It’s why the hotel prices out of block are insane, because they know space is limited.
Thats ridiculous. IM sure there HAS to be a coach bus company that runs out of Indy. I could do the research but I'm lazy. 
Anyways, I only am ok with raising badge prices because it would enhance the over all con. 
People wouldn't go as crazy over housing if they had GOOD coach bus style systems running. 

Posted by squirecam bugwar

Enough  bugwar wrote:
squirecam wrote:Unfortunately Indy lacks proper rail service between its hotels and convention space/downtown which other cities have and make it much easier. 

Rail ain't cheap."The cost of light rail construction varies widely, largely depending on the amount of tunneling and elevated structures required. A survey of North American light rail projects shows that costs of most LRT systems range from $15 million to over $100 million per mile."
How many miles of rail were you planning on charging the citizens of Indianapolis for?
Enough miles to matter. other major convention cities have better public transport. 

Posted by dranthor

Thats ridiculous. IM sure there HAS to be a coach bus company that runs out of Indy. I could do the research but I'm lazy. 
Anyways, I only am ok with raising badge prices because it would enhance the over all con.  
People wouldn't go as crazy over housing if they had GOOD coach bus style systems running.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't think that having a GOOD Coach bus style system would make people any less "crazy over housing.  People who can get downtown housing are always going to go for that due to the convenience. I don't see a reason to have GENCON  increase prices of badges for a coach system.  I am sure that those who would use the system could plan to pay for the use of the system. It would not be fair for a raise in price for an item that might not be used by all of the con goers. (ex: i'd not use it as I have a downtown room) 

Posted by aaronmlopez squirecam

squirecam wrote:
Enough  bugwar wrote:

Rail ain't cheap."The cost of light rail construction varies widely, largely depending on the amount of tunneling and elevated structures required. A survey of North American light rail projects shows that costs of most LRT systems range from $15 million to over $100 million per mile."
Enough miles to matter. other major convention cities have better public transport. 

It does not make sense for Indianapolis to invest in an improved public transportation system when it would be unused 340 days of the year. Every year Gen Con attendees show up for 4-5 days of the year and see it crowded and scream for a transportation system. Meanwhile, those who live/work in Indianapolis show us pictures the day before and the day after Gen Con and the place is pretty much deserted, and this remains until the next big convention. Why would a city invest hundreds of millions of dollars on a system that would be unused the majority of the year? It doesn't make any economic sense. Other cities (Las Vegas, NYC for example) have high tourist attendance year round and can justify having a public transportation system. I just don't see a need for one in Indianapolis when we are only there 5 days per year.

Posted by bugwar aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote:

It does not make sense for Indianapolis to invest in an improved public transportation system when it would be unused 340 days of the year. 

Um, actually ....

"Our most recent figures show Indianapolis receiving 28.2 million annual visitors, who spend roughly $4.9 billion dollars. Visitor spending supports more than 77,800 full-time equivalent employment positions in our hospitality industry. Tourism also produces $1.1 billion in tax receipts each year - including $682 million in local government tax. "
Source: https://www.visitindy.com/indianapolis-about-visit-indy

Posted by npiccini dranthor

dranthor wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't think that having a GOOD Coach bus style system would make people any less "crazy over housing.  People who can get downtown housing are always going to go for that due to the convenience. I don't see a reason to have GENCON  increase prices of badges for a coach system.  I am sure that those who would use the system could plan to pay for the use of the system. It would not be fair for a raise in price for an item that might not be used by all of the con goers. (ex: i'd not use it as I have a downtown room) 
of course it would be fair to raise the price of the ticket for such a thing.  The cost of the ticket currently goes towards hundreds of events and space that you won’t step into or participate in.  So you’re lucky to have a walking distance hotel.  Good for you.  But you should understand that that’s entirely by luck of the lottery time slot.

Posted by npiccini bugwar

bugwar wrote:

I don’t think anyone is suggesting actually charging the citizens of Indy for a rail system...although the evidence is pretty clear that its a responsible choice for the city considering the revenue tourism and conventions bring in.  

What is reasonable is demanding GenCon relocate to a location that does offer this... or simply not attending...

lets be honest - they aren’t going anywhere and most people won’t boycott so its back to a pipe dream and we can stop arguing about it

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.