Transferring a room to avoid a cancellation fee?
Posted by mattsturm

Hi, I couldn't find any posts on this, but if it's been posted before, please forgive my ignorance. We have a queen/queen room at the Delta Indianapolis East, about 9 miles out, that we no longer need. Is there a way to put the room up here hoping to transfer it to someone who needs it vs. paying the $50 cancellation fee to simply return it to the pool? I know that the last year or two GenCon has put the clamps down on room transfers, but I saw it done last year, so I'm hoping I can still do it this year.

Anyway, let me know if you're interested in the room. The price is good at $167/night for a queen/queen.

Posted by dranthor

Sorry but from what I understand exchanging rooms is no longer an option when you use the portal. the only choice you have is to cancel the room and it then returns to the pool of rooms

Posted by mikeboozer

Cannot transfer rooms.

From the FAQ:
ROOM ASSIGNMENT MANAGEMENT

All room assignments are unique and personal to the Gen Con account holder who purchased the badge and requested the assignment. The account holder can manage their room assignment as indicated under the respective Cancellation and Modifications Policies, either by making the change online or by contacting Gen Con Housing call center for assistance.

Room assignments cannot be transferred, traded, or otherwise re-assigned among Gen Con accounts, and room assignments connected to one Gen Con account will remain associated with the originating account until registration ends or the room assignment is cancelled.

Account holders who find themselves unable to attend the convention can modify their room assignment to designate a friend or family member as the primary guest for their room assignment. With cardholder consent, they can also put the primary guest’s credit card on file to secure the assignment and pay the hotel deposit after housing registration ends; but the account holder retains the ability to modify or cancel the room assignment at-will and remains liable for the Terms of Service and any declined credit card transactions. If a room assignment is cancelled and the credit card on file is declined for any reason, the account holder remains responsible for settlement as required to keep their account in good standing. Accounts that fall out of good standing will lose their housing eligibility as described under the Terms of Service.

User Tip! Individuals intending to share rooms should consider the Room Management limitations carefully before buying badges and requesting room assignments: If the account holder cancels his/her badge and becomes ineligible for a room assignment, the room assignment itself becomes invalid and will need to be cancelled. Room assignments issued to one Gen Con account cannot be transferred to another account. To prevent loss of room assignment stemming from the account holder cancelling his/her badge, we recommend that friends and family intending to share rooms designate one member of their group as the purchaser of multiple badges so the account will not become ineligible for a room assignment if another member cancels their badge. As long as there remains at least one eligible badge in a Gen Con account, one room assignment will remain valid and can be occupied by the remaining members.

Important Advisory! Individuals who’ve relied on attendee-to-attendee room trading to obtain rooms and/or avoid cancellation fees in previous years are advised to consider the new policy carefully before requesting room assignments for the current convention. Effective in 2018, all room assignments will remain connected to the originating account unless cancelled. No exceptions will be granted.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by komoridarkclaw

@Mikeboozer

I understand the above is for in block rooms.

I have an out-of-block room that I am considering transferring since I lucked out in the housing portal. I am not trying to sell/make anything out of it, just want to transfer the reservation to someone else who needs it to avoid their cancellation fee. Is that allowed in this forum? I'll just eat the fee if I have to but would like to give it to someone who needs it.

~Komori

Posted by mikeboozer komoridarkclaw

komoridarkclaw wrote:
@Mikeboozer
I understand the above is for in block rooms.
I have an out-of-block room that I am considering transferring since I lucked out in the housing portal. I am not trying to sell/make anything out of it, just want to transfer the reservation to someone else who needs it to avoid their cancellation fee. Is that allowed in this forum? I'll just eat the fee if I have to but would like to give it to someone who needs it.
~Komori

Ah, yes that is a completely different matter. Carry on as you see fit! Yes, it is permit able to list that here. Just make sure people know it's an out of block room as it wasn't clear! 

Posted by komoridarkclaw

Awesome, thank you Mike.
Just wanted to not get banned :)
~Komori

Posted by divachelle

You may want to check with your hotel to see if they have a cancellation fee at all, as it is out of block and the event is still 75 days away.

Posted by jips

I'm interested in someone tranferring their downtown area room to me

Posted by funny-shaped dice jips

jips wrote:

You and about 50,000 other attendees.  ;)

Posted by jips funny-shaped dice

funny-shaped dice wrote:
jips wrote:

You and about 50,000 other attendees.  ;)
Hehe, yup!  Gotta ask tho

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.