looking for a ride from Springfield IL to Indy
Posted by kjbrown911

I am looking for a ride from Springfield Il to indy, I would like to leave early Wed 0800-0930 and late Sunday after 1700.  I am willing to split gas and I have a parking ticket for 5 days at gate 10 parking I would be willing to toss in.

Posted by cmegus

Wish I was closer to help out, but in case you can’t get a lift (and have a place to stay...)

Just throwing this out there, but you COULD take an Amtrak train to Indy as well... takes just over 5 hours, with one transfer in Normal, Ill, about an hour longer than a car, for $50 round trip. $60 for business class :)

Just a thought... 

https://m.amtrak.com/h5/booking

G

Posted by aldctjoc cmegus

cmegus wrote:
Wish I was closer to help out, but in case you can’t get a lift (and have a place to stay...)
Just throwing this out there, but you COULD take an Amtrak train to Indy as well... takes just over 5 hours, with one transfer in Normal, Ill, about an hour longer than a car, for $50 round trip. $60 for business class :)
Just a thought... 
https://m.amtrak.com/h5/booking
G

I really hate to throw cold water on that because it's an excellent idea, especially for the price. Problem is, the Indiana leg of that trip will no longer run after June 30. :(

https://www.ibj.com/articles/73231-amtrak-suspends-ticket-sales-for-hoosier-state-line-after-june-30

The route goes from Springfield up into Chicago, then back down from there to Indianapolis. And it's the Chicago to Indy section that's going away. 

I'm sorry. It's a terrific idea, but someone I know is a long distance train rider (prefers that over planes) and he was complaining about this very cancellation just the other day. That's the only reason I was even aware of it. The part that stinks is that for Gen Con goers, the train station in Indy is just right there, right at Union Station, Crowne Plaza Hotel, and mere steps away from the convention center itself. The only way it could've been more convenient if it were to actually let off in the hotels itself. Moot point now though. :(

Posted by kjbrown911

Yep looked at trains before but the timing was not working with my schedule.  To make Amtrak work I would need to go down the day before and add another day to my hotel and that would cost more than a car rental.  

Posted by aaron.tex

If you can get as far as Effingham, I could give you a lift the rest of the way.  A couple of caveats though:

• I will be passing through sometime on Tuesday, not Wednesday.
  • I would like to leave Indy ~12:00-ish on Sunday.

If that will work for you, let me know.  :)

Posted by kjbrown911

Aaron, thanks for the offer of the ride and I do not want to sound like a choosing beggar I do not have a hotel for Tuesday night so I would need to pass on that ride.

Posted by aaron.tex kjbrown911

kjbrown911 wrote:
Aaron, thanks for the offer of the ride and I do not want to sound like a choosing beggar I do not have a hotel for Tuesday night so I would need to pass on that ride.

Fair enough.

Posted by obiwan4242

Have you asked around at Die Hard Games?  They might help you spread the word.

Posted by kjbrown911

Don't normally play at Die Hard games, I will check it out this week

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.