Favorite Restaurant?
Posted by jhs

If you had to pick one, what would it be?  For me it is Buca di Beppo.  Not for the food, really—it is fine, nothing too exciting.  I would pick it as that is where I eat with the folks I see only at gencon.  We meet Wednesday night, catch up, it has become a tradition.  16 people this year!

if I had to pick favorite food, it would probably be Harry and izzy’s.  Come for the steak, stay for the horseradish.

Posted by urielblue

It's a toss-up between Eagle tavern for their amazing friend chicken and Pearl Street Pizza, which I love more than any pizza here at home (San Francisco).

Posted by istivan

Slippery Noodle, great food and great music.  Indianapolis' oldest restuarant.  Always hit at least one meal here every year.

Posted by san_fan_49

There is a Mediterranean place up the street from the Con, I think Ali Baba's, that I like.

However, since last year, 2 new places are on mine and my girlfriend's list (though last year was her first year attending).

Goose Deli (i think is the name). We got a charcuterie plate last year there and are going again. The other is an AMAZING sushi place that is about 30 minutes out that we are hitting up Wednesday night for dinner. I have been looking forward to that for a year.

Posted by gamerlaura

Old Spaghetti Factory.  Good food, great price.   Get the broccoli.

Posted by andrewj.rager

We really like Burger Study.

Posted by cmegus

Thumbs way up for Harry & Izzys.

A bit pricey but really good!

G

Posted by quarex

I have definitely been surprised repeatedly by Old Spaghetti Factory's quality considering its name, and Harry and Izzy's has a half-dozen things I love that I can never decide between, which is always a good sign for a restaurant.  Honestly Ruth's Chris Steak House might have still been the best meal I had at Gen-Con, but I only ever ate there once and had not tried most of the other places in Indianapolis yet, so I would have to go back for a fair comparison.

But to be fair, though I have never eaten at the Fogo de Chão in Indianapolis, I have rarely in my life had a more incredibly satisfying meal than the one time I ever went to one of those.  Literally even the salad bar was probably one of the best I have ever had, and I knew full well I was supposed to avoid it in favor of the meat, which of course was also unbelievable.

Posted by klaron

A little out of the way, but certainly an easy walk.  The Greek Islands.  Family run restaurant and great food.  Where else are you going to get flaming cheese!

https://www.greekislandsrestaurant.com/

Our second place and you can laugh, is White Castle.  We don't have them in Colorado so we always stop once for our slyder fix.

Posted by mpagnotta310

BRU Burger Bar on Mass Ave was a place I enjoyed thoroughly. Great food and plenty of great beer.

Posted by aaronmlopez

I went to The Tamale Place last year and really enjoyed it! I will be returning this year as well!

Posted by grtbrt

Brugge Brassiere in Broad Ripple if you like Belgian Brews and vaguely Belgian Food (Mussels and Frites -mmmm) If you like Sours try the Pooka .
They have a cidery on the 2nd floor as well .

Posted by andrewj.rager quarex

mpagnotta310 wrote:
BRU Burger Bar on Mass Ave was a place I enjoyed thoroughly. Great food and plenty of great beer.
Went walked there a few years ago and were not terribly impressed. Glad you enjoyed though.
quarex wrote:
I have definitely been surprised repeatedly by Old Spaghetti Factory's quality considering its name, and Harry and Izzy's has a half-dozen things I love that I can never decide between, which is always a good sign for a restaurant.  Honestly Ruth's Chris Steak House might have still been the best meal I had at Gen-Con, but I only ever ate there once and had not tried most of the other places in Indianapolis yet, so I would have to go back for a fair comparison.
But to be fair, though I have never eaten at the Fogo de Chão in Indianapolis, I have rarely in my life had a more incredibly satisfying meal than the one time I ever went to one of those.  Literally even the salad bar was probably one of the best I have ever had, and I knew full well I was supposed to avoid it in favor of the meat, which of course was also unbelievable.

I also enjoy OSF while in Indy, and am making plans to go to Fogo de Chao this year for their lunch offerings. Looking forward to it.

Posted by fethbone grtbrt

grtbrt wrote:
Brugge Brassiere in Broad Ripple if you like Belgian Brews and vaguely Belgian Food (Mussels and Frites -mmmm) If you like Sours try the Pooka .
They have a cidery on the 2nd floor as well .

Is this like a Belgian version of Tilted Kilt (rip)? :) 

Posted by grtbrt

No, its just my the auto correct misspelling of the correct word -Brasserie.

Posted by fethbone grtbrt

grtbrt wrote:
No, its just my the auto correct misspelling of the correct word -Brasserie.

I know, I was just joking. :)

Posted by thesnyderguy san_fan_49

san_fan_49 wrote:
There is a Mediterranean place up the street from the Con, I think Ali Baba's, that I like.
However, since last year, 2 new places are on mine and my girlfriend's list (though last year was her first year attending).
Goose Deli (i think is the name). We got a charcuterie plate last year there and are going again. The other is an AMAZING sushi place that is about 30 minutes out that we are hitting up Wednesday night for dinner. I have been looking forward to that for a year.

Do you know the name of the sushi place? 

Posted by mvotruba jhs

jhs wrote:
If you had to pick one, what would it be?  For me it is Buca di Beppo.  Not for the food, really—it is fine, nothing too exciting.  I would pick it as that is where I eat with the folks I see only at gencon.  We meet Wednesday night, catch up, it has become a tradition.  16 people this year!
if I had to pick favorite food, it would probably be Harry and izzy’s.  Come for the steak, stay for the horseradish.
For much your same reasons, I would say The Ram.  I meet up there with friends I only see at Gen Con, and it's wonderful to catch up with them in person.  Also, I've had one of the staff remember my drink order from the year before and asked if I wanted the same this time.  I was floored by that.

I know there are those here who don't care for the place, but for me I have good memories tied to the place.

Posted by qwaserity

Basey's Bar and Grill just two blocks west of the Stadium. No one knows that it is there, the food is simple, good and cheap and it's away from the convention areas.

Posted by xmidnightxeyesx

Weber Grill.  It's been a tradition for as long as I can remember for my pals and I to go there at least once for drinks and a steak.  

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.