Extra charges on room reservation?!?!
Posted by bethanyalexander112

So I booked a 4 night stay at the Westin.  A standard King room with 3 people (and that's exactly how I made the reservation)
Now that the Westin has charged the deposit to my card and I called and got the hotel's confirmation number so I could view the reservation online, I'm seeing that the new total is about $150 more than what my reservation through Q Rooms had said.
The only thing I can find that's different is that they charged a $120 extra person fee.  But I'm confused because the extra person fee was already on the reservation when I booked through Q Rooms, but it was much less.  Why is the hotel charging so much more? 

Am I missing something or did anyone else experience this?  Shouldn't the room block price have carried over when the hotel put the reservation in?  I'm of course going to call the hotel and see what the deal is, but I wanted to ask here in case anyone else had some insight.

Posted by maijstral2

Sometimes hotels put a hold on the card for incidentals in case you raid the mini bar or steal towels. It could be that, but I've stayed at the Westin 3 times and they never did that to me.

Posted by jimmythesaint

Same thing happened to me at Le Meridien. I called and they don't see the charge on their end, and said it must be something in the Marriott booking software. They also said I wouldn't be charged for the extra amount.

Posted by david campbell

Sounds like it might be an authorization instead of a charge? Did you use a debit or credit card?

Posted by faxboy66

Watch those extra charges at the Westin.  Look at them daily.  When I stayed there they tried to charge me $54/night for valet parking.  I didn't have a car.  Finally I had to dispute the charge with AmEx.

Posted by kd8esu

If you have a dispute on a charge, CALL THE HOTEL ASAP.  They may have put something into their system incorrectly because of simple human error on their end and a notification now is going to be better than them trying to fix it on top of everyone flocking into town at the same time.

Posted by hawkeye

Did you take into account the 17% tax rate? The rate you see on the portal and in the confirmation email from Q-Rooms does not have the tax added to it.

Posted by radril bethanyalexander112

bethanyalexander112 wrote:
So I booked a 4 night stay at the Westin.  A standard King room with 3 people (and that's exactly how I made the reservation)
Now that the Westin has charged the deposit to my card and I called and got the hotel's confirmation number so I could view the reservation online, I'm seeing that the new total is about $150 more than what my reservation through Q Rooms had said.
The only thing I can find that's different is that they charged a $120 extra person fee.  But I'm confused because the extra person fee was already on the reservation when I booked through Q Rooms, but it was much less.  Why is the hotel charging so much more? 
Am I missing something or did anyone else experience this?  Shouldn't the room block price have carried over when the hotel put the reservation in?  I'm of course going to call the hotel and see what the deal is, but I wanted to ask here in case anyone else had some insight.

The Westin also charged us the extra person fee when I look at our reservation online.  I called their front desk, and they confirmed that the Westin Indianapolis does not charge an extra person fee, however the Marriott website likely added that fee on top of the room charges.   It's a good idea to confirm this when checking in, and bring your GenCon/Q rooms housing confirmation page as proof.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.