Hotels already sold out for 2020?
Posted by sjenks

We love The Hyatt Regency so after getting home today I checked 2020 availability and it is already sold out! So I needed to book out of block sometime last week before I even left for the convention? Do rooms ever open up over the course of the year or is just luck of the housing draw again? 

Posted by cmegus

There is a number to call. Depending on which DT Hyatt it’s 317-762-8000 or 9000
To guarantee someone stays, they block out most of the rooms not booked by points / value members and anyone booking it must be placed in a queue of some kind.

All Indy DT hotels do this in one way or another to setup the housing lottery as well.

G

Posted by selene314

They're not sold out, they haven't been made available yet. Hotels don't tend to make reservations a full year in advance. And they may not have negotiated yet how many rooms to promise to the Gen Con block.
This year's Hyatt rooms went on sale the day after Gen Con's housing lottery.

Posted by ar6474 selene314

selene314 wrote:
They're not sold out, they haven't been made available yet. Hotels don't tend to make reservations a full year in advance. And they may not have negotiated yet how many rooms to promise to the Gen Con block.
This year's Hyatt rooms went on sale the day after Gen Con's housing lottery.
Most Hotels typically only go about 45 weeks out on their Inventory. Check your favorite hotel in next few weeks . 

Posted by quarex

I posted about this somewhere else too, but Hilton properties seem to be already gearing up for 2020 in terrifying new ways, like Embassy Suites raising their out-of-block rates to $999/night, which I called to ask about assuming it had to be a mistake, and it was not.

I will definitely check again in a month or so, but I have booked this earlier (or earlier) before with no problems and not nearly such an outlandish rate, haha.

Posted by fethbone

Yup, most hotels start opening up reservations a little less than a year in advance, but it varies by chain and also by hotel. I reserved my room for 2020 at the Holiday Inn downtown exactly 50 weeks in advance, but the Crowne Plaza did not have those dates open yet and I have yet to see out-of-block availability for the Holiday Inn Express even though the dates were available to select at the same time as the Holiday Inn. It is still somewhat early so things may still pop up. I haven't really been checking as diligently since I have a room now, but last I saw, the out-of-block rate for a standard room at the Holiday Inn started at $360/night and $479/night at the Crowne Plaza without rewards. 

Posted by brotherbock

RVshare.com is showing Indiana rates of $125/night to rent an RV. Just sayin.

At this point, if you're not wanting to risk the lottery, it might even be cheaper to hire an Uber to drive you around for 6 hours and just sleep in the back :)  (don't do that, no shower)

Posted by dwe113 fethbone

fethbone wrote:
Yup, most hotels start opening up reservations a little less than a year in advance, but it varies by chain and also by hotel. I reserved my room for 2020 at the Holiday Inn downtown exactly 50 weeks in advance, but the Crowne Plaza did not have those dates open yet and I have yet to see out-of-block availability for the Holiday Inn Express even though the dates were available to select at the same time as the Holiday Inn. It is still somewhat early so things may still pop up. I haven't really been checking as diligently since I have a room now, but last I saw, the out-of-block rate for a standard room at the Holiday Inn started at $360/night and $479/night at the Crowne Plaza without rewards. 
I haven't been able to see rates etc for any of the Holiday Inn related downtown hotels for 2020

Posted by fethbone dwe113

dwe113 wrote:
fethbone wrote:
I haven't been able to see rates etc for any of the Holiday Inn related downtown hotels for 2020
I looked just now and out-of-block rates are still showing up for CP and Holiday Inn. The Holiday Inn Express is also now available. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I always log in to the website before looking.

Posted by dwe113 fethbone

fethbone wrote:
dwe113 wrote:
fethbone wrote:
I looked just now and out-of-block rates are still showing up for CP and Holiday Inn. The Holiday Inn Express is also now available. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I always log in to the website before looking.
yeah I can see them now....I wonder if it was because I was looking through the IHG main site....now the problem is that the selected dates are not available using reward points

Posted by fethbone dwe113

dwe113 wrote:
fethbone wrote:
dwe113 wrote:
fethbone wrote:
yeah I can see them now....I wonder if it was because I was looking through the IHG main site....now the problem is that the selected dates are not available using reward points
My hypothesis is that of the small percentage of rooms they offer out of block, they offer an even smaller percentage you can use rewards on, as I was able to book at Holiday Inn with rewards, but when I checked a few days later in hopes of finding something at the Crowne Plaza, the rewards option was gone for that Holiday Inn. If you have the credit card you should at least be able to use your anniversary night for one night. 

Posted by dotificus

PSA - A few rooms just opened up in the downtown Hilton for $250! if you're a Hilton honors member. They also opened up on Priceline, but you have to pay in full and if you cancel, they keep a night's payment. The Honors reservation can be cancelled without penalty. 

This means a couple of rooms opened up in the Airport Hampton Inn because I cancelled our reservation there. :) 

Posted by squirecam dotificus

Thank you for the heads up.

I got one today for $303. One king bedroom suite. Better than the $400+ room the Conrad had.

Posted by jimmythesaint

Let's see if these stick, or they get cancelled again like the Embassy Suites a couple years ago...

Posted by dotificus jimmythesaint

jimmythesaint wrote:
Let's see if these stick, or they get cancelled again like the Embassy Suites a couple years ago...

Eep! I remember that. Well, I remember reading about it here on the forum. 

Posted by quarex

Wait, what happened with the Embassy Suites?  I always make a reservation there eleven or so months in advance (well, except this year, as again it is $999/night currently) and never had a problem with it getting cancelled.

Though I just checked again and I see now it is listed as $319/night; what the heck, guys, you promised me when I called in August that $999/night was accurate :/

Edit: Oh good, when I try to book it is actually showing $500/night and requiring payment up-front.  That is more like it!

Posted by illusio

The Embassy Suites ended up canceling everyone's reservation who booked it directly. They said it was a pricing error or some BS. Since then, I've never seen their rooms available outside of the block. I did hear people say that those who booked on hotels.com still were able to keep their reservations (don't know if that's actually true or not). 

Posted by squirecam illusio

They have rooms listed at $395 per night on the Hilton honors website right now.

Posted by indynat brotherbock

brotherbock wrote:
RVshare.com is showing Indiana rates of $125/night to rent an RV. Just sayin.
At this point, if you're not wanting to risk the lottery, it might even be cheaper to hire an Uber to drive you around for 6 hours and just sleep in the back :)  (don't do that, no shower)
Have them drive you to the YMCA for showers.  I've seen people who camp out for Indy500 do it.

Posted by del_grande

"The housing portal is a mess! All of the hotels anywhere near the convention center sold out in 30 minutes! People who made reservations were told at the end of the process, "Sorry, but while you were busy typing in your information, your selected hotel sold out"! All of this makes me want to go to Origins in 2020."

Oh, wait...that IS Origins 2020. Seriously, the convention switched to a single portal system for 2020, and it's split between "I had no problems getting my hotel room" and "I had nothing but problems, and ended up miles away (if they got a room at all)."

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.