Dining at the Lucas Oil Stadium
Normal
Small
Posted by qwaserity

I probably should have posted this on Monday but please feel free to comment on this:

I ate at the Stadium on Friday because it was convenient. (My favorite bar and grill is only one block west but I'd already eaten at Basey's several times.)

I looked at the menu with their "football game" prices and ordered a hot dog and coke. If it was a football game I would have paid $9. Imagine my surprise when I was charged $15! Actually I wasn't even told the price; I just did the math when I was handed a $5 bill as change from my $20.

Thoughts?

Normal
Small
Posted by keithbradburn qwaserity

qwaserity wrote:
I probably should have posted this on Monday but please feel free to comment on this:
I ate at the Stadium on Friday because it was convenient. (My favorite bar and grill is only one block west but I'd already eaten at Basey's several times.)
I looked at the menu with their "football game" prices and ordered a hot dog and coke. If it was a football game I would have paid $9. Imagine my surprise when I was charged $15! Actually I wasn't even told the price; I just did the math when I was handed a $5 bill as change from my $20.
Thoughts?
Sounds correct.  You said that you ordered a hot dog and a coke.  The hot dog itself was the $9 but since you got a combo of food and drink it was higher.

Normal
Small
Posted by ar6474

Yeah some of the prices are ridiculous. I paid $7 for a single Brat at the Marriott $2.50 for a drink . At this point it makes more sense to eat a t a restaurant since you get more for your $

Normal
Small
online
Posted by buffythecatslayer

All the concession prices are high, even in the ICC, but LOS does seem to be even higher.  The curse of conventions.

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager

We never eat at the ICC, LOS, food trucks, food court, or hotel.

They are all expensive. The only reason to eat at any of those places is if you are short on time. We do not over book ourselves so we have plenty of time to sit down and enjoy a great meal for the same price or only a little bit more than more of those options. With so many good restaurants that close, I just don't understand eating at the above options.

My wife got the Market Table all you can eat buffet at Fogo de Chao on Thursday for $15. How many people spent $15 at a food truck or the concessions?

Normal
Small
Posted by bigjohn

Almost all of the food options are overpriced.  I understand that we are downtown and it's a convention, but if the food is expensive it should at least be pretty good.  I ordered some nachos for $5.75, the chips were stale but it was good enough.  It was convenient and a short line. 

I usually avoid the food trucks because of the lines.  The trucks by LOS had almost no line when I went there on Friday for lunch.

Normal
Small
Posted by cloak72 andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
We never eat at the ICC, LOS, food trucks, food court, or hotel.
They are all expensive. The only reason to eat at any of those places is if you are short on time. We do not over book ourselves so we have plenty of time to sit down and enjoy a great meal for the same price or only a little bit more than more of those options. With so many good restaurants that close, I just don't understand eating at the above options.
My wife got the Market Table all you can eat buffet at Fogo de Chao on Thursday for $15. How many people spent $15 at a food truck or the concessions?
My brother an I were paying $25-30 for the pair of us at the food trucks, and getting some fantastic food for it.

Normal
Small
Posted by jew3

Having spent two years GMing in Lucas Oil I can honestly say that the worst part of the experience is the food. The prices are higher than the ICC and things like the reusable GenCon cup, aren’t part of the offerings at Lucas Oil. So if you shelled out for a cup, you’d have to go all the way to the ICC to use it. My other complaint is that there are about 5 toilets and 8-10 urinals at the field level, if those are full you have to go up to the concourse level. 

Normal
Small
Posted by grtbrt

We have been in the stadium for 2 years as well ,  I would rank the bathroom situation as worse than the food -You can always bring your own food in.

But the food options are awful there - the same 3 things all the time . And the "security " guards are very inconsistent about what they allow in.
There was one that allowed 1 pizza ,but had a fit because there were 2 being brought in, and they didn't always allow food truck stuff(or any outside food)  in . I blame a lack of clear instructions from their superiors.

Never even saw a special cup until Sunday . 

Normal
Small
Posted by brotherbock grtbrt

grtbrt wrote:
We have been in the stadium for 2 years as well ,  I would rank the bathroom situation as worse than the food -You can always bring your own food in.

https://www.rei.com/c/camp-toilets

Normal
Small
Posted by selene314 andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
We never eat at the ICC, LOS, food trucks, food court, or hotel.
They are all expensive. The only reason to eat at any of those places is if you are short on time. We do not over book ourselves so we have plenty of time to sit down and enjoy a great meal for the same price or only a little bit more than more of those options. With so many good restaurants that close, I just don't understand eating at the above options.

Well, I think you SHOULD overbook yourself and be short on time. Gen Con is only 80 hours long, why would you spend 10+ of them at restaurants when you could spend 5 minutes in line at Subway and then get back to gaming?

During such a crowded event, waiting for a table (even with a reservation!), waiting for a server, waiting for your food, waiting for the bill, altogether a sit-down restaurant can take upwards of 3 hours.

I do agree that the concessions and food trucks are vastly overpriced - that's the tradeoff for convenience. If you want cheap you can walk to the mall food court or get pizza delivered or pack yourself a sandwich.

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager selene314

selene314 wrote:
andrewj.rager wrote:
We never eat at the ICC, LOS, food trucks, food court, or hotel.
They are all expensive. The only reason to eat at any of those places is if you are short on time. We do not over book ourselves so we have plenty of time to sit down and enjoy a great meal for the same price or only a little bit more than more of those options. With so many good restaurants that close, I just don't understand eating at the above options.

Well, I think you SHOULD overbook yourself and be short on time. Gen Con is only 80 hours long, why would you spend 10+ of them at restaurants when you could spend 5 minutes in line at Subway and then get back to gaming?During such a crowded event, waiting for a table (even with a reservation!), waiting for a server, waiting for your food, waiting for the bill, altogether a sit-down restaurant can take upwards of 3 hours.
I do agree that the concessions and food trucks are vastly overpriced - that's the tradeoff for convenience. If you want cheap you can walk to the mall food court or get pizza delivered or pack yourself a sandwich.
Well I guess we agree to disagree.

Yes Gen Con is short, but I gladly take the time to fuel up on great food and atmosphere and relax for an hour or two a day. Ultimately, it what is most valuable to you, but I want to be well rested and well fed when I am enjoying my Gen Con experience.

Give me Fogo de Chao, Old Spaghetti Factory, and Burger Study over Subway any day.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.