Running Short Games Together?
Posted by kingsshadow

So this is honestly just a question, I wanted to run Spyfall and Codenames but both are rather short games and they don't really meet the requirements of two hours for the Gen Con base ticket unless I stretch out the games and I feel that might not be as fun for players. Is there a way to submit it where I run them together as a singular session where we jump from one game to the other after an hour? If not it's fine I'll just do 2 hours of Codenames and no Spyfall but I figured I'd ask if its possible and how to do it if it is.

Posted by noone kingsshadow

kingsshadow wrote:
So this is honestly just a question, I wanted to run Spyfall and Codenames but both are rather short games and they don't really meet the requirements of two hours for the Gen Con base ticket unless I stretch out the games and I feel that might not be as fun for players. Is there a way to submit it where I run them together as a singular session where we jump from one game to the other after an hour? If not it's fine I'll just do 2 hours of Codenames and no Spyfall but I figured I'd ask if its possible and how to do it if it is.
not sure what you are talking about two hour requirement.  On the event submission you can choose 1/2 hour, hour, hour and 1/2 up to 10 hours all with hour or 1/2 hour increments.  And the event host policy has nothing about a 2 hour Minimum.  And I have ran multiple 1 hour events in the past.

Posted by kingsshadow

Maybe I was mistaken then. Is the Gencon base price of 2$ tickets not a requirement for hours towards a GM badge? Because I was saying I needed the event to be 2 hours due to myself being a GM Badge user and applying those hours towards it which I had thought required base pricing for the hours to be counted which would mean a minimal 2 hour event? I guess I wasn't clear in the fact i'm having these hours count towards a GM badge and thinking that's where an issue would occur if I ran it under the 2 hour time requirement for a base price 2$ ticket. 

"Ticketed Events: These are typical, normal events from both companies and gaming groups alike. There is a Gen Con base price (as appropriate) and attendees can usually purchase a ticket to confirm their seat. There is no fee to run ticketed events, unless they involve special requirements like A/V or power."

"Ticket price is automatically calculated when an event is submitted and is based on its duration. The base price is $2 for every 2 hours. Duration is always rounded up."

Clarification would be awesome, sorry for the confusing way of asking the question.

Posted by noone

Hours to gm badge is event duration x # players.  As for needing 2 more hours run both games as 2 separate hour long events

Posted by kingsshadow

Oh alright thanks for answering.

Posted by selene314 kingsshadow

kingsshadow wrote:"The base price is $2 for every 2 hours. Duration is always rounded up."

This means a half-hour event, a 1-hour event, and a 2-hour event all cost $2. Ticket prices are always multiples of $2.

That is the cost to the player, and has nothing to do with the GM getting their badge reimbursed. 

Two 1-hour events or one 2-hour event would both count as two hours (times the number of players) towards a GM badge.

Posted by derekguder

The other folks who commented are correct: there is no real minimum length for an event, but the Gen Con base price is always going to be at least $2. That means that a 30 minutes, 1 hour, or 2 hour event all have the same price.

I don't recommend running events for less than 1 hour, in most cases, for a couple different reasons. When you want to play games that are shorter than that, though, you probably just want to plan on playing them multiple times. In an hour, you could play a few different games of Spyfall or Codenames, possibly reshuffling teams, too.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.