Connected Hotels Still Unavailable
Posted by roganca

For all those people certain that Gen Con cannot go on, that it would be irresponsible to go on, and that even if it does go on, they would never expose themselves to such a deadly plague...

...they sure are hanging onto their connected hotel reservations.

Posted by fethbone

I too have had a smile about this. Just like before all this went down, keep trying. I just booked a refundable room at the Crowne Plaza on points. Previously, these had been snapped up approximately two seconds after they went on offer in September or so of last year. 

Posted by mythicfox roganca

roganca wrote:
For all those people certain that Gen Con cannot go on, that it would be irresponsible to go on, and that even if it does go on, they would never expose themselves to such a deadly plague...
...they sure are hanging onto their connected hotel reservations.

They're probably waiting to see if the convention's going to be officially cancelled, so they're not on the hook for the $50 cancellation fee.

Posted by elvinlord

I am 99 percent not going. Just holding onto my room until it's either canceled or the deadline for the cancellation fee increase takes effect.  Hopefully the $50 fee gets wavied.

Posted by sepayne7

This was my thought exactly. A LOT of people gnashing their teeth at the prospect that Gen Con may actually occur, foretelling of mass illness and death...and yet they have not cancelled their rooms. 

All I know is if it's on, my wife and I are going. I hope to get a close room from the portal, if not, we're under a mile away at a lot higher price, but at least we save Uber/Lyft fees. 

Posted by gib_rebeg

Many are holding onto those hotels and badges in hope that Gencon cancels so they don't have to take the $60 hit ($10 badge $50 hotel) for them just canceling it.

I would expect come the 5th of next month to start seeing a slew of DT hotel rooms starting to come available as people who are wanting out start canceling so they don't get stuck having to pay a full nights stay should Gencon happen after the 9th of June.
 

Posted by rutherfordr

It would be nice if Gen Con LLC could find a way to extend the hotel cancellation deadline...

Posted by gib_rebeg rutherfordr

rutherfordr wrote:
It would be nice if Gen Con LLC could find a way to extend the hotel cancellation deadline...
Doesn't work that well. Under attrition penalty rules, unbooked rooms need an average 30 days before an event to be released from the housing block to allow the hotels to try and sell them to other guest. This takes the risk of the event organizers from having to pay for those unused rooms should they not get filled, if the hotel sells them to other guest.

At best GC could push it back a couple weeks, maybe, but then you increase the odds those rooms don't get filled, which then GC would have to pay for them.

Posted by tinabear81

My hotel room qualifies as downtown, but just barely. I can tell you that I'm hanging on until the last possible second to make a decision because I really want to go. I've been looking forward to GenCon since Gencon ended last August.
I recognize that as things stand right now, going to GenCon is a terrible idea for me given some health issues I have; I might be perfectly okay or I could get really sick and possibly die. The odds of my getting sick might not be 100%, but they are certainly greater than if I just stay at home. I'm hoping that things are safe enough appear safe enough that I'm not playing a modern version of The Lady or The Tiger by attending.

Given that cancelling between June 14th and July 13 will cost me the badge cost and the 50 dollar room deposit, I might wait until July 12. I would rather give the situation as much time as possible to improve before I make a decision to not go, even if I have to eat the cost of the badge.

Posted by gib_rebeg tinabear81

tinabear81 wrote:
My hotel room qualifies as downtown, but just barely. I can tell you that I'm hanging on until the last possible second to make a decision because I really want to go. I've been looking forward to GenCon since Gencon ended last August.
I recognize that as things stand right now, going to GenCon is a terrible idea for me given some health issues I have; I might be perfectly okay or I could get really sick and possibly die. The odds of my getting sick might not be 100%, but they are certainly greater than if I just stay at home. I'm hoping that things are safe enough appear safe enough that I'm not playing a modern version of The Lady or The Tiger by attending.
Given that cancelling between June 14th and July 13 will cost me the badge cost and the 50 dollar room deposit, I might wait until July 12. I would rather give the situation as much time as possible to improve before I make a decision to not go, even if I have to eat the cost of the badge.
Might want to double check your $50 dates.

"Room assignments canceled after June 8, 2020 are subject to a cancellation fee equal to one night room charge per room. Cancellation fees will be automatically charged to the credit card on file, and Q-rooms LLC will be listed as the charge originator on the credit card statements. No exceptions or refunds will be granted."

Posted by tinabear81 gib_rebeg

gib_rebeg wrote:
tinabear81 wrote:
My hotel room qualifies as downtown, but just barely. I can tell you that I'm hanging on until the last possible second to make a decision because I really want to go. I've been looking forward to GenCon since Gencon ended last August.
I recognize that as things stand right now, going to GenCon is a terrible idea for me given some health issues I have; I might be perfectly okay or I could get really sick and possibly die. The odds of my getting sick might not be 100%, but they are certainly greater than if I just stay at home. I'm hoping that things are safe enough appear safe enough that I'm not playing a modern version of The Lady or The Tiger by attending.
Given that cancelling between June 14th and July 13 will cost me the badge cost and the 50 dollar room deposit, I might wait until July 12. I would rather give the situation as much time as possible to improve before I make a decision to not go, even if I have to eat the cost of the badge.
Might want to double check your $50 dates."Room assignments canceled after June 8, 2020 are subject to a cancellation fee equal to one night room charge per room. Cancellation fees will be automatically charged to the credit card on file, and Q-rooms LLC will be listed as the charge originator on the credit card statements. No exceptions or refunds will be granted."
Fair Enough. Thanks for pointing out my reading comprehension fail. I mean...it just bumps the cancellation cost for me up to about 300 from 170. I'll be pissy about it and kicking myself for not cancelling earlier if I decide to cancel after June 8, but risking infection means possibly being stuck in quarantine or worse during a time period where I have to show up for work or get my contract invalidated. 

Basically, all logic and prudence is telling me to get a system credit refund to use next year. Hope springs eternal though...

Posted by komoridarkclaw

Switching your reservation to a 13 mile away hotel at $100/night saves on the 1 night cancelation fee btw.

Posted by gib_rebeg tinabear81

tinabear81 wrote:
gib_rebeg wrote:
tinabear81 wrote:
My hotel room qualifies as downtown, but just barely. I can tell you that I'm hanging on until the last possible second to make a decision because I really want to go. I've been looking forward to GenCon since Gencon ended last August.
I recognize that as things stand right now, going to GenCon is a terrible idea for me given some health issues I have; I might be perfectly okay or I could get really sick and possibly die. The odds of my getting sick might not be 100%, but they are certainly greater than if I just stay at home. I'm hoping that things are safe enough appear safe enough that I'm not playing a modern version of The Lady or The Tiger by attending.
Given that cancelling between June 14th and July 13 will cost me the badge cost and the 50 dollar room deposit, I might wait until July 12. I would rather give the situation as much time as possible to improve before I make a decision to not go, even if I have to eat the cost of the badge.
Might want to double check your $50 dates."Room assignments canceled after June 8, 2020 are subject to a cancellation fee equal to one night room charge per room. Cancellation fees will be automatically charged to the credit card on file, and Q-rooms LLC will be listed as the charge originator on the credit card statements. No exceptions or refunds will be granted."
Fair Enough. Thanks for pointing out my reading comprehension fail. I mean...it just bumps the cancellation cost for me up to about 300 from 170. I'll be pissy about it and kicking myself for not cancelling earlier if I decide to cancel after June 8, but risking infection means possibly being stuck in quarantine or worse during a time period where I have to show up for work or get my contract invalidated. Basically, all logic and prudence is telling me to get a system credit refund to use next year. Hope springs eternal though...
Something to think about as a possible work around for you.

Wait till about the 6th of June, monitor the situation. If you still feel uncomfortable at that time, cancel both badges and room. Eat the $60 or what have you in cost.

But continue to monitor. Should the situation improve after that to a point you're feeling good to go, re-buy your badges and book a different hotel. It's not likely GC will sell out this year. By a mile. So you may have to do will call. Getting a DT room will be a slim chance at best. But there will be plenty of rim hotels. That is for sure.

This way if you're out for sure after the 6th, you're losses is min. If you want back in after the 6th if the situation improves, the $60 or so, just consider it an insurance fee for a trip.

Posted by tinabear81

Thanks,
That's something to consider and discuss with the other half of the decision making process.

Posted by ar6474

There were plenty rooms available last week. Not sure what the problem was...lol

Posted by fethbone

Looks like the connected hotels are unavailable(Marriott and IHG, did not check Hilton), but as of yesterday evening I was still able to book a room Wed-Sun for next year at the Holiday Inn Downtown Indy on points.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.