Will there be a Virtual Dealer Hall?
Posted by urielblue

So, like you all, I'm bummed that Gencon has to cancel. I agree that it's best for the safety of all, but (As it is my one vacation taken every year...) I'm curious if the Gencon folks have any plans for this?

See, I'm that dude who shows up with $2k in cash and is determined to spend it in the dealer's hall. I dont always succeed, but I refuse to leave the Con without spending at leadt a grand. As I said, it's my one vacation...amd I buy a lot of t-shirts, dice, minis, etc...for the couopoe dozen friends who cant attend. 
If the various companies can get  something up, or you folks can at least have linsk tho their sites, I'd love to buy a bunch of stuff, as I always do.

In lighter news, at least I won't accidently forget that I have a pocket knife on my person when going through the airport, which TSA just *loves*

Posted by roderick urielblue

uriel-393 wrote:

In lighter news, at least I won't accidently furget that I have a pocket knife on my person when going through the airport, which TSA just *loves*

Back in the '90's I had to surrender my 2 1/2" Gerber when flying *out* from Heathrow Airport. I tried to point out to the British version of TSA that I was  leaving the country, so the legality of a "lock-blade" knife was kinda moot, and besides 2 1/2" isn't much of a fighting knife, but he wouldn't have it.  And this was *before* 9/11. The problem wasn't "knife on an airplane", but laws restricting knifes carried by the general British public. 

Posted by quarex

I am with you in that I tend to view Gen-Con as the greatest shopping mall in the world rather than a gaming convention, but unless they have a virtual auction I am not optimistic about being able to spend any money remotely, haha.  Still a fun idea, though.

Posted by bunnylike

Would like to know if we will get Crystal Caste dice tin etc and other merch?

Posted by hahnarama bunnylike

bunnylike wrote:
Would like to know if we will get Crystal Caste dice tin etc and other merch?

I've already been in contact with them. They are waiting to hear back from GC to see  what they say about the terms & conditions in the licensing rules.

They are hoping GC days yes, because as a small company Crystal Caste is hurting and could really use the sales. 

Posted by aegoce

https://www.gencon.com/exhibitors is at least part of what you're looking for I think.  The first click takes you to the exhibit hall map which isn't really what you're looking for, but a second click can get you to the vendor website.

Looks like it's still last year's list.

An updated version of that list, maybe that doesn't require the extra step of going through the map could be interesting.

Ideally some vendors would also have a live presence through their online interaction tool of choice for answering questions/demoing, etc.

If you want a (most likely not really designed for this purpose) way of walking up and down the aisles:  https://www.gencon.com/map again from last year.  (apologies for defaulting the map link to Paizo, but none of the vendors showed up on the map without forcing it to display one of them and I didn't feel like exploring the url params).

Posted by bcarter5876

+1 to what @aegoce wrote above.  I use that exhibitor map with links to the vendor websites extensively outside of the convention to go through all of the companies' websites.  It would be cool if there were at least a list of companies who were PLANNING to attend and links to their web pages.

Posted by jillt

I love looking through the program book and getting ideas of what to buy :)

Posted by andrewj.rager

This! We too go to Gen Con as our one vacation and spend between 1-2K in the dealer hall each year. Yes we can get many items cheaper later on, but we love supporting companies that consistently bring smiles to our faces. 

I was also looking through last years program book and the post by aegoce is super helpful. 

Really want to see a central database put together and for all of the companies to treat Gen Con Online just like they would Gen Con with all the big summer releases. BGG just had a BGG online this week were they highlighted games for two days. I wonder if Gen Con has any plans to do this as well. 

I would actually love to help with something like that as I have a background in broadcasting and communication, and currently run Rolling With Roc on Youtube, I'd love to host segments on Gen Con's twitch as publishers show off the hot new releases. 

But maybe that isn't the road Gen Con wants to go down with this.

To me Gen Con is shopping time with gaming. But the best thing about Gen Con is that it means something a little different to all 60,000+ attendees.

Posted by urielblue

Also, Gencon needs to get that Gencon 2020 merch out there! I want to wear the shirt/hoodie whileplaying virtual games, and maybe drink my iced tea out of a mug.

Posted by urielblue

I suggested to a friend that they should put out a shirt design of an adventuring party standing outside of a Dungen entrance, dejeted; A chained sign across the door reads "Dungeon closed till 2021 due to Yellow Mold infestation..."

Posted by donaldbain urielblue

uriel-393 wrote:
Also, Gencon needs to get that Gencon 2020 merch out there! I want to wear the shirt/hoodie whileplaying virtual games, and maybe drink my iced tea out of a mug.
It's BEEN out there;
https://www.offworlddesigns.com/gen-con-store/

Posted by hahnarama

$32 for a t-shirt? 

Posted by del_grande urielblue

uriel-393 wrote:I suggested to a friend that they should put out a shirt design of an adventuring party standing outside of a Dungen entrance, dejeted; A chained sign across the door reads "Dungeon closed till 2021 due to Yellow Mold infestation..."

Er, may I suggest using a different color?

Posted by capt greytower

These are great ideas!  I invariably pick up a couple new dice, maybe a dice bag, and always a couple of t-shirts. My older son can't go to GenCon (the crowds would be too much), so I always bring back something for him.  And I love the dungeon closed idea!  Offworld or another t-shirt company needs to do that!

Posted by roderick del_grande

del_grande wrote:
uriel-393 wrote:I suggested to a friend that they should put out a shirt design of an adventuring party standing outside of a Dungen entrance, dejeted; A chained sign across the door reads "Dungeon closed till 2021 due to Yellow Mold infestation..."

There is a line. Do not cross it. 

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

Posted by urielblue roderick

roderick wrote:
del_grande wrote:

There is a line. Do not cross it. Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 
Violet Fungi infestation? Whatever iconic D&D fungi/mould works.

Posted by urielblue hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:
$32 for a t-shirt? 
  I work in a nightclub, and (Prior to this pandemic) saw  a lot of merch come throguh, with various bands. 25-30/short was pretty standard. $32 is a bit steep for a basic letters on shirt design (Compared to the amaxing artwork ofthe various metal bands of which I speak), but I'll probably grab one anyways, to help Gencon. $78 for a hoodie is pretty insane,..
That mug, though! I must say that the Dragon mug happens to come in my fave color, Yellow! Woohoo!!!

Posted by hahnarama

If I knew GC staff was selling all products directly, and not via a 3rd party vendor, I might buy knowing  that all of the profit was going to them to keep them employed.

I'm also biased since I only buy my t-shirts from Shirt Woot :) 

Posted by buffythecatslayer hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:If I knew GC staff was selling all products directly, and not via a 3rd party vendor, I might buy knowing  that all of the profit was going to them to keep them employed.
I'm also biased since I only buy my t-shirts from Shirt Woot :) 

Gen Con has a staff of 14 or 15 people, whose job it is to put on a convention.  They don't make shirts or manufacture mugs.  You're pretty much always going to deal with a licensed vendor for merchandise from any convention.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.