Gen Con Postpones 2021 Convention to September
Posted by adcjones

I'm so glad GenCon will still be held this year.  I don't mind the extra month of waiting if it means we get to go.

However, I am fearful I will be one of the poor souls who get "capped" out of attending.  My hope is that GenCon will at least accept those who register early this year.  I know those who paid for 2020 will get first eligibility, which I'm also fine with.  I would be utterly devastated to not go two years in a row.

Posted by ematuskey

Maybe this means hotel room selection won't be as frantic for once, heh. 

Fingers crossed you can get a ticket--I think the later date will block out a lot of regular attendees, so tickets might not sell out right away.  Then again, it all depends on what those capacity limits look like. 

Unless it turns out GCL is more of a social/token event, I'll be hoping for the best with my rollover ticket! 

Posted by squirecam

Yeah I guess it depends on how much of a cap on attendance there is. Currently I think the ICC was at 25% capacity. That brings Gencon below the 25,000 to 30 000 attendee days.

Posted by adcjones

Do we know how many pre-registered people attend vs. same-day ticket buyers?

Posted by colbrook

I got a refund when my country closed it's borders, which was before they cancelled the show and rolled badges over.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a badge and be able to leave and return to my country without quarantine.

Posted by js_1999

Unfortunately, for myself and others who's vacation calendar is filled out and done for the year this sucks. Are there plans to have an online event for the original dates?

Posted by kar8a

Bummer, we're out...guess I gotta go back to looking at TX.  Bucket list for another year.

Posted by grognard262 js_1999

js_1999 wrote:
Unfortunately, for myself and others who's vacation calendar is filled out and done for the year this sucks. Are there plans to have an online event for the original dates?

Having an online event on the original dates isn't a bad idea at all.

Posted by jimdigris

I can't attend because I have work at this time.  Gencon needed to get their attendance down.  Moving it to this date accomplishes that as well.

Posted by colbrook jimdigris

jimdigris wrote:
I can't attend because I have work at this time.  Gencon needed to get their attendance down.  Moving it to this date accomplishes that as well.
That's a harsh calculus, but I can't dispute your point!

Posted by jillt

I just moved my vacation time to the new dates because they said September will include the online convention which is what I’m attending 

Posted by helenbb

There will be an online event at the same time as the in-person con, as well as Pop-Up Gen Con.

https://www.friendsofcc.com/2021/03/17/gen-con-2021-moves-to-september/

Posted by kar8a jimdigris

jimdigris wrote:

Yeah, I think that played heavy in the calculus - get attendee numbers down rapidly.

This new date excludes those who need to work and those who have kids and are not local - you probably cut 50% possible attendance just with the date move.  Then, add on the "hybrid" approach, which is like Solomon splitting the baby, satisfying probably no one really at all, and they are almost certain to drop the needed percent just with the date change and Con approach.

Posted by roncarver

I rolled over my ticket, and can be flexible with vacation, and am local.  I suppose I am one of the lucky ones! 

I am just glad there is a CHANCE at actually having a gencon this year.  

Thank you Gencon LLC! :) 

Posted by dblade adcjones

adcjones wrote:
I'm so glad GenCon will still be held this year.  I don't mind the extra month of waiting if it means we get to go.
However, I am fearful I will be one of the poor souls who get "capped" out of attending.  My hope is that GenCon will at least accept those who register early this year.  I know those who paid for 2020 will get first eligibility, which I'm also fine with.  I would be utterly devastated to not go two years in a row.

I'm rolling over my badge to 2022 so at least that is one open spot for you.

Posted by lore seeker

Glad to hear it's still on! Hope I can get a badge though - I got a refund last year instead of rolling over, so my spot is not assured.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.