Exhibit Hall question
( Locked)
Posted by thesuperskrull

I know this is likely some absurd rumor before I bring it up. But, I want to make sure I didn't miss anything. On another forum a few people are reporting that they have heard (from someone else, and they supposedly are in the know, yeah, one of those deals) that the Exhibit Hall is a one pass through kind of deal. I assume this is purely a rumor as I haven't seen anything here to indicate anything like that and I can't envision how that would even work. So, just to be clear, as of now, that is purely some random rumor with no real basis in fact, right? Accepting that that could change at some future date, obviously. 

Edit: Actually, I assume they mean the Dealer Hall. 

Posted by donaldbain

Sounds like BS on many levels.

1) It would limit what the dealers sell, especially Magic/Yugioh/card dealers.  People running in to buy a quick replacement card is a good chunk of business.

2) Next to impossible to enforce. 

3)It wouldn't provide any benefit I can think of.  If you're not breathing in the dealer hall, you're breathing somewhere else.  

So, three levels.  BS on three levels.

Posted by thesuperskrull donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
1) It would limit what the dealers sell, especially Magic/Yugioh/card dealers.  People running in to buy a quick replacement card is a good chunk of business.
3)It wouldn't provide any benefit I can think of.  If you're not breathing in the dealer hall, you're breathing somewhere else.  
That's how it sounded to me too. Just figured I would ask in case I missed something because it was multiple posters with presumably different sources.  

Posted by gib_rebeg donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:

1. I would agree that it would make it harder on the vendors, this is how they make their living, to limit access to them even further like mentioned would be very unfair and many would likely not show up. It's expressive as all get out just for them to show and have a booth.

2. Not really, think how GC use to control 1 grab bag per attendee. Just punch a hole in a person's badge and thats it.

3. On a small level it will.

GC I would assume is struggling to figure out how to make the hall work. It's usually fairly cozy in there, people constantly bumping up on one another. I'm sure with the distancing rules, there will need to be some level of distancing enforcement here too. They may limit the number of entrances even further, and do a turn style system entry, so many in at a time. Fewer vendors, more spaced out. Though I wonder how well some of them fair'd over the last year. Some may not have been able to hold on without the cons.

Posted by traveller thesuperskrull

thesuperskrull wrote:
I know this is likely some absurd rumor before I bring it up. But, I want to make sure I didn't miss anything. On another forum a few people are reporting that they have heard (from someone else, and they supposedly are in the know, yeah, one of those deals) that the Exhibit Hall is a one pass through kind of deal. I assume this is purely a rumor as I haven't seen anything here to indicate anything like that and I can't envision how that would even work. So, just to be clear, as of now, that is purely some random rumor with no real basis in fact, right? Accepting that that could change at some future date, obviously. 

Stop the madness.

Unless you are getting the information from something posted by Genon on the Gencon site about the rules they intend to enact, its all crap. 

Gencon has been upfront and open during this time about their plans.  So unless you can cite a credible source, keep the rumor to yourself.  (this is already being repeated in another post)

Posted by thesuperskrull traveller

traveller wrote:
thesuperskrull wrote:

Stop the madness.Unless you are getting the information from something posted by Genon on the Gencon site about the rules they intend to enact, its all crap. 
Gencon has been upfront and open during this time about their plans.  So unless you can cite a credible source, keep the rumor to yourself.  (this is already being repeated in another post)

Don't come to the GenCon site and ask questions for anything at all because they will tell us absolutely everything, got it. You're being the opposite of helpful. 

If you really think this is a rumor (like I said I believe it is, right up front, very clearly), all you have done is move this post back to the top (which will increase visibility) so you could get a jab in at some rando on the internet. 

I have no interest in spreading a rumor. I came to verify that it is a rumor. I assumed, apparently poorly, that coming straight to the source was the best course of action. 

The gentleman in the other thread did not get the info from this post. He got it here: Gencon/Origins 2021 (battletech.com), which is where I got it. In that thread, I argued that this is very unlikely. I came here for confirmation. I didn't believe the source was relevant since I stated I believe it to be a rumor and didn't take into account the inquisition of the forum goers deciding to descend on my post. 

Posted by traveller

Sorry, but since neither post had listed a link to the rumor, its hard to take the question at face value.  

I did read the post (thank you for the link).  I'm trying to understand what about the post actually required clarification from Gencon staff.

There have been posts by Gencon reps that any decisions related to health and safety are not yet made and that they are going to follow CDC, Federal, State, and Local heath requirements.

Since current guidelines don't limit how long i can be in the grocery store/department store/restaurant/bar (yes they limit the size and hours) I don't see why there would be a reason to think they are going to change for the conference. 

And since guidelines are changing every other week, its a little unrealistic to think anyone can comment on 6 months from now.

Posted by mikeboozer

Pure speculation based on no information here. No decisions have been made as has been pointed out by us on numerous occasions. We are way to far in advance of the convention to make any decisions about these sort of things.

Locking as there is already an exhibit hall thread.

Mike

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.