As it has been pointed out this is brand new territory in planning and executing the convention. In a 'normal" year there is a normal pace and flow to all things Gen Con.
This year there are many factors that mitigate this pace. We do understand that there are factors that influence your attendance this year as well.
The key here is to balance all things to make this the safest and most successful Gen Con that we can.
As much as I hate to say it since I’m the type who typically plans as far ahead in advance as possible, I believe it’s appropriate for Gencon to wait a bit longer before making any sweeping convention policy announcements. The earlier they make announcements, the more times they will have to change them. They are really between a rock and a hard place. Either way -chicken first or egg first- I can see scenarios that will be keeping someone up at night wondering.
I think announcements before badges is the better option, assuming the time between the announcements and ability to buy badges is short. For example, I would not buy a badge immediately if the announcement was made tomorrow stating that con policy will reflect what appear to be the current popular suggestions on the forums, but I’d be optimistic that things would change, so I’d be willing to take my chances and wait to purchase my badge (assuming there are badges to purchase pending the attendance cap) until then. If things don’t change or the cap is maxed, at least I saved the money this year. On the other hand, I would be peeved if I bought a badge blind out of the gate trying to ensure I got one, and it ends up that I still didn’t think it was worth attending after the final con policy announcement is in place. Then I’m stuck with a badge I have to roll or refund.
Obvious I can’t say if gencon will wait for this or not, but I think a lot depends on when Marion county opens up. If certain things are not required in the public areas of hotels, restaurants, and the ICC, having tighter requirements in gencon-specific areas is kind of pointless.
I'm not to concerned....at this point I am still waiting to see what the Indy 500 is doing in 45 days. They have announced there will be spectators but nothing more than that...... Not what restrictions are, how many people, how to get tickets etc..... If they aren't ready to announce it make sense Gen Con isn't either to me. It's all uncharted waters.
Personally, I'm managing my own expectations to assume that we won't really know how they're intending to proceed until May or June, based on the previous 'go/no-go' period for 2020's con. 2021 may not strictly follow that, of course, but as a baseline, it's a start. Another month of vaccines going into arms (in the US and around the world) will help, and while a lot can change in 4 months, hopefully the trend from now to then will be in a much better direction.
Subject to change, no guarantees, etc, etc, I get that, but this is something that's both rapidly changing and also very slow on some levels. Millions of shots into arms is good in an immediate sense, but also takes weeks to really build to full efficacy.
Obviously we'll all just have to be patient and respect that the crew here have the community's best interests at heart. They want to share everything that makes Gencon awesome, and nobody wants to be at the heart of what could be 'one of the last superspreader events', so we'll just have to sit tight and see what happens.
At least, that's what I keep telling myself.
I can appreciate being fluid but there has to be some decision making made by this point.
I don't want this to sound like I am being entitled but there is a lot of planning that has to be done on everyone's part. I would rather know now if my ticket isn't rolling over so I can plan something else. They can always put more tickets on sale if capacity expands, and as people have mentioned, either things will be normal-ish by September or everything will be locked down again. It is very unlikely that there is going to be an in-between in 5 months.
Mike, I hope you read this. From these posts you can see there is a lot of anxiety among hopeful attendees. My family looks forward to Gen Con every year and our countdown begins with your web site countdown. It would be very helpful for our mental health if you would provide periodic updates on what is happening and what your thinking is even if it is subject to change. Questions we would like answered are the following. 1. How many rollovers from last year do you have. 2. What is the current thinking on the cap on attendees and on vendors. 3. What is your tentative schedule for event proposals. 4. What is your tentative date for registration and housing portal opening.
We realize that anything you tell us is subject change. However, any information is better than not knowing anything. Anything you can tell us would be really appreciated. If someone once a week or so would take 5 minutes and just share the latest tentative information that would be wonderful.
We love Gen Con, it is one of the most important events to us every year. please share. We will not hold grudges if things change.
Based on how tight lipped the Gen Con staff is and the almost no information put out until something is absolutely firm, I would say they are indeed worried about grudges. Big time.
I'd like to know what's going on as much as anyone, but with the situation being as it is and people being as they are, solid information later is better than sketchy information now.
We are just not going to release information before we have a solid plan that we can trust not to change (As much as possible).
The numbers for attendance are a moving target. That should be an obvious conclusion for anyone watching the developments. To that end giving you a number right now is pointless.
We are planning on honoring all our rolled over badges, but we have said that before.
As soon as we are confident in our schedule we will make an announcement. To make it before that would cause more harm then good in our opinion if things need to shift.
I think GenCon is doing whatever they can to get the Con going this year. I do think by announcing so early and pushing the date back they are giving the vendors and other companies a push to get moving on their planning, too.
I'm ok with not having answers at this moment in time. It's been quite a year and the future is still really unknown, but I think trending in a better direction.