I hope they don't need Lucas Oil Stadium...
Posted by del_grande

Apparently, somebody forgot to tell the NFL about the date move; the Colts have a home game against the Rams on September 19 at 1 PM.

Posted by lore seeker

IIRC Gen Con announced that they hadn't planned on using LOS this year.

Posted by cmegus

Yeah, but all that’s going to do is add fuel to the fire on several fronts unfortunately…

And 2 in particular worry me:

1) adding even MORE people to the already limited outside and even inside places like restaurants and parking lots and hotels, etc is not going to help the crunch of people who are already going to exceed the “recommended CDC” God awful guidelines already, but more interesting could be..

2) No one attending the Colts game is going to be required to agree to, shall we say, “inclusion of all people’s” terms and conditions.

Just my 2 cents…

G

Posted by snnakebite

They don't need stadium with the limit on people this year

Posted by qwaserity

Actually, I'd be more concerned about when the game lets out. Sunday 1 PM plus game is about 4 - 4:30 ish.

Posted by roanders

I believe they opened up some fairly large ballrooms in the JW Marriott for open gaming the past few years. Does anyone know if the board game library is coming this year? Maybe they could use some of those larger rooms?

Posted by traveller

JWs largest ballrooms are used by Baldman for D&D so at least 2 of them are not available.  

Posted by monkeyknifefight cmegus

cmegus wrote:
Yeah, but all that’s going to do is add fuel to the fire on several fronts unfortunately…
And 2 in particular worry me:
1) adding even MORE people to the already limited outside and even inside places like restaurants and parking lots and hotels, etc is not going to help the crunch of people who are already going to exceed the “recommended CDC” God awful guidelines already, but more interesting could be..
2) No one attending the Colts game is going to be required to agree to, shall we say, “inclusion of all people’s” terms and conditions.
Just my 2 cents…
G

The CDC is revising constantly as their recommendations seem to be consistently outdated. There is supposed to be another one today. NFL is planning for full attendance and I expect no governmental restrictions in place by September. So all the restaurants will probably be operating at capacity. But that is still going to be a lot of people before and after the game. Also extremely expensive parking if you are driving in.

Posted by quarex

Yeah if the CDC is increasingly suggesting masks are unnecessary indoors for fully vaccinated people, that can only be good for Gen-Con by September!  Well, you know, unless HyperCOVID-19 strikes.

Posted by forar

That's definitely the reality of it, and the Gencon folks have mentioned it many times now (here in the forums and in the blog posts) that it's a developing situation that will see guidance change.

Maybe we're so much in the clear that there's no need for even performative 'medical security theater' at the venue, maybe some variant starts punching holes in the populace's immunity levels and we're all in biohazard suits (I'm aware that this is unlikely, and it is in fact more of a joke).

Planning for something that happens in 5 months when the situation changes week to week or even day to day means having to err on the side of caution and see where things are, but companies and tens of thousands of attendees aren't going to set up for the con 2 weeks in advance, so we just plan under the current situation, and see where things are closer to the date.

It'd be nice for Gencon 2021 to be basically GC2019 with very few changes, but until we're a few weeks out at most (and realistically, perhaps as little as a few days out), I'm sure there will be asterisks all over and 'WORK IN PROGRESS, SUBJECT TO CHANGE' style caveats everywhere.

Posted by quarex

Yeah and the groups that have already decided not to come or are unable to operate are not likely to change their minds, so it will still be a pretty different convention than 2019 overall even if the precautions are minimal.  BUT!  It would still be an in-person Gen-Con, so I am excited for that.

Posted by technoir

They don't 
They've had Colts games during Gen Con before, ones where we had slightly higher population counts. 
AND it was on Saturday a traditionally busier day than Sunday. I realize those were preseason games, but none the less. I think it will be fine. 

Posted by kevinrg

The only people that Colts fans are going to be looking to exclude is anyone wearing a Rams jersey.

Posted by garhkal technoir

technoir wrote:
They don't 
They've had Colts games during Gen Con before, ones where we had slightly higher population counts. 
AND it was on Saturday a traditionally busier day than Sunday. I realize those were preseason games, but none the less. I think it will be fine. 
  Yea i remember being in indy a few cons where they had Colts home games the same weekend..  Other than the bars/food joints being fuller, and parking being a little iffy, it didn't really seem to impact us.

Posted by aldctjoc cmegus

cmegus wrote:2) No one attending the Colts game is going to be required to agree to, shall we say, “inclusion of all people’s” terms and conditions. 

I'm part of several Colts fan boards, and I wouldn't worry too much about that. There are always jerks in any crowd, but from experience from those boards and Colts fans I've talked to online and in person, many of them at worst have an amused tolerance for Gencon goers. At best, they're pleasantly surprised; I recall more than once reading and hearing people say that the Gen Con crowd was the "happiest" they've ever seen. 

Honestly, the vibe I get is that they see us as having the time of our lives, and I don't get any feeling that any of them want to mess with that. On the contrary, ones I've chatted with seem to vicariously get a kick out of our enthusiasm. 

Of course I'm not going to promise that 100% of the crowd will be nice. Again, any group is going to have it's bad apples. But honestly, I don't see the possibility of problems being any higher with the Colts fans present, outside of the fact there will be more people around. 

Posted by mikeboozer

The Seahawks play the Colts the week before...so I'm hoping to go!

Hawks season ticket holder here!

Mike

Posted by aldctjoc

Oh man, yeah, that's nearly perfect timing, isn't it? 

Posted by deadsaidfred

Curious, how many NFL fans travel for away games?  As a Washington Football Team ex-fan (thanks Dan Snyder) I've become more a passive observer...  

I'm trying to think through the downtown hotel room impact of GenCon and a Colts home game happening concurrently.

Posted by kevinrg deadsaidfred

deadsaidfred wrote:
Curious, how many NFL fans travel for away games?  As a Washington Football Team ex-fan (thanks Dan Snyder) I've become more a passive observer...  

Depends on the fan base.    Some like Pittsburgh, Green Bay will travel cross country in heavy numbers.   One thing that works to many teams fan bases is the relative closeness of Indy to many other teams - Chicago, Cleveland, Tennessee, KC.   However the game is vs the Rams,  so not a big travelling base (however, maybe there is still a loyal contingent from St. Louis that might travel the relatively short distance)

However.. all depends on how many tickets are available on the secondary market for opposing teams to scoop up and even if they will be allowed to sell on the secondary market yet with COVID.

Posted by njseahawksfan mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
The Seahawks play the Colts the week before...so I'm hoping to go!
Hawks season ticket holder here!
Mike

LOL.  I was thinking the same thing, Mike.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.