Downtown Hotels
Posted by cmegus

Now that we have news on everything from dates of the convention to parking lot booking dates, is there any news on the DT hotels?

Are we having a lottery or are we just trying to book them ourselves at this point?

G

Posted by grognard262 cmegus

cmegus wrote:Are we having a lottery or are we just trying to book them ourselves at this point?

Many of the hotels say "unavailable" for those dates, so I assume they are reserved for the housing portal.  My guess is that will open some time after the badges go on sale.

Posted by njseahawksfan grognard262

chaoticneutral262 wrote:
cmegus wrote:Are we having a lottery or are we just trying to book them ourselves at this point?

Many of the hotels say "unavailable" for those dates, so I assume they are reserved for the housing portal.  My guess is that will open some time after the badges go on sale.
In the past, the only way to access the housing portal was if you had a badge, so this is probably a good bet.

Posted by technoir

Or are already booked by people. 

Posted by del_grande technoir

technoir wrote:

I am pretty sure the downtown hotels have not had any rooms available for weeks, if not months, for the GenCon dates, so I don't think it's that nearly all of them are already booked. I am in the "they're already set aside for the portal" camp.

Posted by quarex

Yeah, Gen-Con let the hotels know before the general public about the date change (not that this is upsetting or surprising); within an hour of the date change's announcement, all but two Hilton brand hotels downtown were unavailable even as a Diamond member.  Though I will say someone at one of the hotels overlooked a minor aspect of the "raise prices for the event" routine, as I got an incredible "extended stay" discount by booking 7 nights instead of 5 (I checked the next day and that deal was no longer available, which is how I came to conclude it was an oversight due to the date change).

Posted by kakitahan quarex

quarex wrote:
Yeah, Gen-Con let the hotels know before the general public about the date change (not that this is upsetting or surprising); within an hour of the date change's announcement, all but two Hilton brand hotels downtown were unavailable even as a Diamond member.  Though I will say someone at one of the hotels overlooked a minor aspect of the "raise prices for the event" routine, as I got an incredible "extended stay" discount by booking 7 nights instead of 5 (I checked the next day and that deal was no longer available, which is how I came to conclude it was an oversight due to the date change).
del_grande wrote:
technoir wrote:

I am pretty sure the downtown hotels have not had any rooms available for weeks, if not months, for the GenCon dates, so I don't think it's that nearly all of them are already booked. I am in the "they're already set aside for the portal" camp.
I was able to book a couple of rooms for an IHG hotel few minutes after receiving the email of the new gencon dates. Within a couple hours, they was no longer ‘affordable’. 

Posted by elvinlord kakitahan

I was able to book a couple of rooms for an IHG hotel few minutes after receiving the email of the new gencon dates. Within a couple hours, they was no longer ‘affordable’. 
Make sure you have a back up plan.  Hotels like to cancel rooms if more money can be made.

Posted by grognard262

How many downtown hotel rooms are available through the housing portal?  With fewer badges being sold, I'm wondering how that might affect the odds of getting a room.

Posted by sstalker23

As they did not originally plan for this time you have to believe that they do not have the same size block of rooms.  People have already booked weekend rooms planning for  other events, potential NFL game weekends, etc. 

My company has an annual event we host and its planned years in advance to get a large enough block of rooms at a couple hotels.  Now multiply that and the odds of having anywhere near the same size room block as previous years goes way down.

That being said I'm betting the odds of getting a downtown room are probably the same as it was a few years ago.

Just my 2 cents.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.