Bad form
Posted by buffythecatslayer

we know for sure that there will be no Pathfinder events

There won't be any run by Paizo, but there could be some run by other groups.  Still will be small compared to the normal several hundred Path/Starfinder events Paizo has.

online
Posted by matthias9

Yeah.  And it is not too late to submit events...

Posted by kevinrg xanathon

xanathon wrote:CMON will not be in attendance as well as other smaller companies.  

CMON not present either?  Oof..   that was like 1/3 of my events that I did for the last 2 cons.

Posted by quarex elvinlord

elvinlord wrote:
I think it's safe to say that if your enjoyment of the con is dependent one single event or even a narrow range of events this will not be the year for you. 
Yeah I do feel for these people; I remember when the uh, was it Legend of the Five Rings relaunching or something a few years ago that had some like 500-seat major event that sold out immediately and was apparently the biggest deal imaginable for fans of that game?  Somebody on Facebook who did not get a ticket was very matter-of-factly saying "well there's no reason to go if I can't be in that" and I just cannot relate to that mindset whatsoever, but I certainly can relate to disappointment.

I suppose if I had originally been sold on attending Gen-Con because of some specific thing happening, rather than being told (accurately) that it is "the biggest, best, nerdiest gathering in the world," I might have been disappointed too if that thing stopped happening/did not happen.

Posted by qwaserity andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
Hey if Paizo isn't there that huge ball room could be used for some spaced out open gaming! Or something else. Who knows.
I'm sure if Paizo is the only thing you do, them ducking out after the fact stings a bit. But look at it this way. It will give you an opportunity to try new things at Gen Con that maybe you wouldn't have done before.
Chant with me:

WIDER AISLES! WIDER AISLES! WIDER AISLES!

When they spread out the dealers hall, I hope to have more space to manuever.

Posted by adcjones aaronr

aaronr wrote:
Paizo's events accounted for 2% of the events in 2019. If 49 more organizations the size of Paizo did not run events there would still be around 10k events happening. I think it will be fine.
that 2% ignores the fact of the sheer number of people who participate in those events.  Have you ever been to the hall where they sit 1,500 people per event?!  Doesn't sound like it.

Posted by adcjones xanathon

xanathon wrote:
elvinlord wrote:
I think it's safe to say that if your enjoyment of the con is dependent one single event or even a narrow range of events this will not be the year for you. 
aaronr wrote:
xanathon wrote:
Not at all. Your earlier comment just doesn’t hold much merit to be honest. 
Yes Gen Con does have a lot of various events, but people will only participate in events that interest them. 
So there were 19,000 other events other than events by Paizo. If those events hold no interest to someone or really doesn’t matter how many other events there are. 

I see our disconnect. You mean it doesn't matter to that person how many other events there are. Above you questioned if there will be enough offerings to keep people entertained. Clearly there will be enough to keep people entertained maybe not the person who attends only for Paizo run events. The undertone I am getting is that you are that person. It totally sucks for you if that is the case and I am sorry if it ruins your Gen Con. To me Paizo not attending has no impact at all aside from me not being able to grab a button from them every day. This year will be different but there will still be a ton of games run and fun to be had. Again I am honestly sorry if Paizo's announcement means that is not the case for you.
Its just not Paizo.  CMON will not be in attendance as well as other smaller companies.  With a lot of companies not having a physical presence this year how does that impact the number of events?We can't compare the number of events in 2019 to this year as 2019 had full attendance from the usual companies.
As of now there is no guarantee that there will be any CCG events.  We don't know if there will be any miniatures events and we know for sure that there will be no Pathfinder events.  That is a ton of events that run round the clock all four days of Gen Con.
So with all of that being said it is a legitimate concern about what will actually be offered this year between the exhibitor hall and events.

Xanathon is correct.  Paizo is just a symptom.  With other companies not showing up, it shows that GenCon has really screwed up.  Yes, we are in pandemic, but it appears to be under control with cases low and vaccines poking every day.  With CMON out, Paizo out...who else it out?  Sure, Paizo isn't the only draw.  But it is a big part of why people go, period.  It's the main event for thousands, especially my group of 6.  With them not showing up, the awful announcement after rollover deadline, and other comapnies not going, we've cancelled our hotel and won't be going to GenCon.  Surely my group isn't the only one.

Posted by aaronr adcjones

adcjones wrote:
aaronr wrote:
Paizo's events accounted for 2% of the events in 2019. If 49 more organizations the size of Paizo did not run events there would still be around 10k events happening. I think it will be fine.
that 2% ignores the fact of the sheer number of people who participate in those events.  Have you ever been to the hall where they sit 1,500 people per event?!  Doesn't sound like it.
Yes, I have. Paizo is not the only company that runs large events. Even if they were attending I am guessing that with social distancing policies in place they wouldn't be running those events this year either. You have already said that you aren't attending. As I said to xanathon I am sorry if a company backing out ruins your Gen Con but that is not the case for most of the rest of us. Trash talking Gen Con and game companies is not going to change that.

Posted by tdb

It absolutely is disappointing that Paizo ducked out after the deadline to roll over badges.  But that's on Paizo, not Gen Con, and if you feel the need to fling brickbats about it, I would suggest that you fling them at Paizo.

For sure, this year will be different than recent cons.  What that's going to mean to an attendee's experience is going to depend on what's important to that attendee, and what their attitude about it is.  I know for myself that the convention never turns out exactly like I'd planned, but it's still awesome every time. 

I think this year, more than ever, going into this with a flexible mindset and a willingness to try different things will be a key to having a good con.  It's our own choice whether to dwell on what's missing, or find a way to enjoy what's there. 

Posted by mikeboozer xanathon

xanathon wrote:
Its bad form that now we find out, after the time frame to roll our badges over, that we find out that several companies will not have a physical presence this year, but will be supporting the online convention.
If all the focus will be on the online convention what is the point of actually attending this year?  It seems to me that this should have been announced before the last day to roll our badges over.
I am really wondering what is the point of going.  No Paizo, no auction, no dance, or any other large gathering.  
Is there going to be enough events to keep those of us attending occupied or will we all just wandering the meager offerings of the dealer hall until it closes and then try to figure out what to do in the evenings?

Please understand that we have no control over when a company will decide what is best for it. You are assuming we knew what Paizo was going to do. We did not know when we set the date that Paizo would not be able to attend. 

As for the roll over deadline, we are still honoring roll overs for the time being.

Mike

Posted by helenbb

People are complaining about the companies that are not coming. Keep in mind that Mike has stated that there will be a number of NEW companies attending this year. We don't know what those companies will be offering. You might find a new favorite. Certainly, there are events to which I look forward every year. But if some of those things aren't there, I will look for new things. I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to fill my plate with rpgs, seminars and events, even if they aren't the ones I usually attend. I am looking forward to it!

Posted by lore seeker tdb

tdb wrote:
It absolutely is disappointing that Paizo ducked out after the deadline to roll over badges.  But that's on Paizo, not Gen Con, and if you feel the need to fling brickbats about it, I would suggest that you fling them at Paizo.
For sure, this year will be different than recent cons.  What that's going to mean to an attendee's experience is going to depend on what's important to that attendee, and what their attitude about it is.  I know for myself that the convention never turns out exactly like I'd planned, but it's still awesome every time. 
I think this year, more than ever, going into this with a flexible mindset and a willingness to try different things will be a key to having a good con.  It's our own choice whether to dwell on what's missing, or find a way to enjoy what's there. 

Totally agree with this.

I was incredibly disappointed to hear about Paizo. I wanted to get back into Starfinder like nothing else. But I was already planning on running events at Gen Con 2021 that I've spent a lot of time and effort creating, and I'm not going to give that up just because Paizo ducked out. So what I'm going to do instead is play some D&D Adventurers League to get my organized play fix, and use the rest of my time to try out new games (well, new to me at least).

Posted by xanathon mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
xanathon wrote:
Its bad form that now we find out, after the time frame to roll our badges over, that we find out that several companies will not have a physical presence this year, but will be supporting the online convention.
If all the focus will be on the online convention what is the point of actually attending this year?  It seems to me that this should have been announced before the last day to roll our badges over.
I am really wondering what is the point of going.  No Paizo, no auction, no dance, or any other large gathering.  
Is there going to be enough events to keep those of us attending occupied or will we all just wandering the meager offerings of the dealer hall until it closes and then try to figure out what to do in the evenings?

Please understand that we have no control over when a company will decide what is best for it. You are assuming we knew what Paizo was going to do. We did not know when we set the date that Paizo would not be able to attend. As for the roll over deadline, we are still honoring roll overs for the time being.
Mike
I understand that Gen Con can't control companies attending, but you can understand our concern in that Paizo just isn't a vendor and offer a ton of events.  They are one of the sponsors of Gen Con.  If they can decide to not attend what is the ripple affect going to be.  My thoughts are that they also had to give advance notice since they are a sponsor so that Gen Con can find another company that would be interested in becoming a sponsor.

Posted by quarex

I am getting more excited to attend every day, personally!  If everyone who only attends because of a specific event or company backs out, all the remaining attendees will be people of a similar mindset to myself: those who truly love the very nature of Gen-Con itself rather than any specific part!

Posted by sovietprince

I am hoping there still some new game announcements for the tcg/ccg nerds

Posted by scarab_beetle andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
Hey if Paizo isn't there that huge ball room could be used for some spaced out open gaming! Or something else. Who knows.
I'm sure if Paizo is the only thing you do, them ducking out after the fact stings a bit. But look at it this way. It will give you an opportunity to try new things at Gen Con that maybe you wouldn't have done before.

I normally spend most of my gaming time at Paizo, so this is definitely going to make me try new things and I'm excited about that.

Posted by sarien xanathon

xanathon wrote:
Its bad form that now we find out, after the time frame to roll our badges over, that we find out that several companies will not have a physical presence this year, but will be supporting the online convention.
If all the focus will be on the online convention what is the point of actually attending this year?  It seems to me that this should have been announced before the last day to roll our badges over.
I am really wondering what is the point of going.  No Paizo, no auction, no dance, or any other large gathering.  
Is there going to be enough events to keep those of us attending occupied or will we all just wandering the meager offerings of the dealer hall until it closes and then try to figure out what to do in the evenings?
Every year there are so many different games, seminars, films, etc. that I want to participate in that I never get a chance to because I play a lot of Pathfinder and Starfinder.  My daughter and I can certainly find other things to entertain us--cosplay parade, city of Indy, more quality time with the vendors and artists and writers and stars, trying brand new games, and just meeting and enjoying people from all over.  Play PFS and SFS online.  You can do that anytime.  You can't always get a chance to be at a destination.  Nobody is promised tomorrow either.  have fun whatever you decide.

Posted by donaldbain

I think the concern is more since Paizo, FFG, & other large presence companies aren't going to be there, others will follow suit leaving fewer things to do and try.

This question on the last survey ""On a scale of 1 to 10, please rate your interest in attending Gen Con if it didn’t have a significant volume of games to play and space dedicated to playing them. (1 = not interested, 10 = very interested)"  make me question how much there will be to do. 

Posted by eldrad12000 donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
I think the concern is more since Paizo, FFG, & other large presence companies aren't going to be there, others will follow suit leaving fewer things to do and try.
This question on the last survey ""On a scale of 1 to 10, please rate your interest in attending Gen Con if it didn’t have a significant volume of games to play and space dedicated to playing them. (1 = not interested, 10 = very interested)"  make me question how much there will be to do. 
Yeah, this question was concerning. They need to have events, otherwise, it would be a massive mess.

Posted by lore seeker eldrad12000

eldrad12000 wrote:
donaldbain wrote:
I think the concern is more since Paizo, FFG, & other large presence companies aren't going to be there, others will follow suit leaving fewer things to do and try.
This question on the last survey ""On a scale of 1 to 10, please rate your interest in attending Gen Con if it didn’t have a significant volume of games to play and space dedicated to playing them. (1 = not interested, 10 = very interested)"  make me question how much there will be to do. 
Yeah, this question was concerning. They need to have events, otherwise, it would be a massive mess.

Yeah, what's a gaming convention without gaming events?

However, that question could have been related to Paizo and other large companies backing out of the physical con, with the question being intended to gauge whether or not people would be interested in attending without, for example, Pathfinder Society and Starfinder Society events to play. I don't remember if that survey came out before or after the Paizo announcement, but even if it came out before, Gen Con could have known about Paizo's plans before the general public.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
2 4