Paizo will not be at in-person Gen Con 2021
Posted by vulcanspock hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:
OK I guess I will jump on this crazy train.... WHY should Paizo be embarrassed for not attending any Cons this year?

Because, #1 they flaked out at the last minute -- even after attendees had made decisions to go.

#2 by September, from a public health standpoint, we'll be as back to normal as we're every likely to get again.  COVID won't be completely gone, but it never will be.

And, most importantly, #3, according to Gen Con's official statement, not moving forward with a physical convention this year "would leave us in a financial position where Gen Con’s future might not be clear".  As an official sponsor of Gen Con, you'd think this would be something about which they'd purport to care.

It will be hard to view them as supporters of Gen Con going forward.

Posted by njseahawksfan

I don't have stake in this at all, but it should be pointed out that Paizo 100% did not "flake out at the last minute".  They made their intentions known on May 18, 2021.  GenCon hadn't even published the exhibitors list at that point.  

Posted by hahnarama

OK I'm going to reply to this in no particular order

Back to normal?  I'm going to politely disagree with that one

Last minute? I'm pretty sure they made their decision weeks before badges went on sale

I'm throwing this out there. I'm fully vaccinated, and I still where a mask in public

I've voluntarily bought a badge for this year. As of today I still plan on attending 

I have a great employer who is not forcing me to return to the office or travel for work.

Maybe...just maybe they made this decision because it was the right thing to do for their employees, or maybe it was purely a financial call. Cons are paid for out of the marketing bucket. Maybe they realized that they were still paying full price for only 1/3 the customer exposure this year

I for one do not fault anyone, which ever way they lean, when it comes to making in person decision during a pandemic

GAME ON! 

Posted by jelake

Paizo has had problems in the past submitting events in time for registration, probably due to the logistics of such a large presence in past Gencons.  This year, they probably didn't have enough time to get it all together.

Posted by matthias9

In my opinion, Mid-May is pretty last minute just generally -- and particularly so given the context of the advertised badge roll-over deadline being at that same time.  I also think it is funny that mid-May not being last minute is argued in the same forum where people were demanding Gen Con tell them about mask policy and exhibit hall practices back in February.

Regardless, I am with the person who said it will be hard to see them as Gen Con supporters going forward.  As was said, Gen Con said their entire financial future was uncertain.  And this company claimed to be an official sponsor.  This is where the rubber meets the road.  Paizo has to make its own choices, but I can't say I didn't lose respect for them.

Posted by njseahawksfan

3/17/21 - Gen Con announces that Gen Con 2021 will happen on September 16-19, 2021
4/21/21 - Gen Con publishes a Health & Safety Update that lays out the general lay of the land for the upcoming convention, including attendance limits, dealer hall restrictions and mask protocols
5/7/21 - Gen Con announces Badge sales will open on May 23.  They also announce that people who have 2020 badges have until June 24 to roll them forward to 2022 and people who already have 2021 badges can get a refund until July 20.
5/18/21 - Paizo announces they will not have a presence at Gen Con.
5/23/21 - Badges go on sale for Gen Con

I fail to see how that timeline qualifies as last minute anything.  Especially considering how quickly the landscape was changing based upon COVID vaccinations/infection rates/etc.

Look, I get it that people are mad that a company who is the centerpiece of their Gen Con experience isn't going to be there.  I'm just trying to say that accusing the company of bailing out on the convention at the last minute just isn't borne out by the facts. 

Posted by traveller njseahawksfan

njseahawksfan wrote:
Look, I get it that people are mad that a company who is the centerpiece of their Gen Con experience isn't going to be there.  I'm just trying to say that accusing the company of bailing out on the convention at the last minute just isn't borne out by the facts. 

This is an internet forum, facts have no place in any discussion!  We only accept hearsay, innuendo and the always popular "people are saying" along with "unnamed sources".

:)  Have a nice day.

Posted by helenbb njseahawksfan

njseahawksfan wrote:5/7/21 - Gen Con announces Badge sales will open on May 23.  They also announce that people who have 2020 badges have until June 24 to roll them forward to 2022 and people who already have 2021 badges can get a refund until July 20.

I believe that the original rollover deadline was May 15....? Paizo announced after the rollover/refund deadline. Because of that cancellation (and True Dungeon's cancellation, among others), Gen Con re-opened rollovers and changed the deadline to June 24.

A lot of people were angry that these companies (including Paizo) waited until after the rollover deadline to announce that they weren't coming. It is my guess that this is from where much of the 'bad feeling' regarding Paizo's cancellation comes.

Posted by stickmanindc helenbb

helenbb wrote:
=inheritA lot of people were angry that these companies (including Paizo) waited until after the rollover deadline to announce that they weren't coming. It is my guess that this is from where much of the 'bad feeling' regarding Paizo's cancellation comes.

In all fairness to Paizo (because I was one of those "angry people"), their President did release a statement on their forums regarding the timing of the announcement:"I apologize that our messaging came out after the rollover deadline had expired and caused many of you unnecessary heartache. Honestly, since exhibitor badges work totally different than attendee badges, the rollover deadline wasn't even on our radar. We simply made our decision and chose to release the details when we did. If we would have realized there was a rollover deadline looming, we would have pushed to get our message out earlier."

So if you take that at face value, at least it was lack of awareness and not indifference. But let's be clear - I'm not trying to tell anyone how to feel, so interpret as you see fit...

Posted by helenbb

Oh I agree... Paizo was completely unaware of the rollover deadline. My point was that the timing of their announcement caused a lot of frustration and disappointment, because of that misunderstanding.

Posted by njseahawksfan helenbb

helenbb wrote:
njseahawksfan wrote:5/7/21 - Gen Con announces Badge sales will open on May 23.  They also announce that people who have 2020 badges have until June 24 to roll them forward to 2022 and people who already have 2021 badges can get a refund until July 20.

I believe that the original rollover deadline was May 15....? Paizo announced after the rollover/refund deadline. Because of that cancellation (and True Dungeon's cancellation, among others), Gen Con re-opened rollovers and changed the deadline to June 24.A lot of people were angry that these companies (including Paizo) waited until after the rollover deadline to announce that they weren't coming. It is my guess that this is from where much of the 'bad feeling' regarding Paizo's cancellation comes.
As you can see from my timeline, GenCon announced on 5/7 that the rollover date had been extended and Paizo announced they would not be attending after that date, so the bad feelings have nothing to do with the rollover date.

Posted by donaldbain njseahawksfan

njseahawksfan wrote:As you can see from my timeline, GenCon announced on 5/7 that the rollover date had been extended and Paizo announced they would not be attending after that date, so the bad feelings have nothing to do with the rollover date.
Your timeline is off. 

https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6sho9&page=3?Paizos-Gen-Con-2021-Update#107

Jeff Alvarez
I apologize that our messaging came out after the rollover deadline had expired and caused many of you unnecessary heartache. Honestly, since exhibitor badges work totally different than attendee badges, the rollover deadline wasn't even on our radar. We simply made our decision and chose to release the details when we did. If we would have realized there was a rollover deadline looming, we would have pushed to get our message out earlier.

Since our announcement, Gen Con has had two more big companies release similar messaging and they've announced that they're extending the rollover deadline to June 25th, 2021. This should allow those of you that still want to rollover your badges to next year's show to do just that.

We look forward to gaming online with some of you this year and we look forward to seeing the rest of you next year in Indy!

Posted by mmleczko xanathon

[This post has been removed]

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.