What's in your bag???
Posted by lore seeker fethbone

fethbone wrote:
I'm kind of curious about the number of people who specifically mentioned they bring bandages/band-aids....have people been finding themselves in situations at Gencon where band-aids are needed on short notice? Or do folks all just carry bandages on a regular basis anyway?

I usually carry two or three in my pocket, just in case I randomly get cut or scratched by something.

Posted by roderick lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
fethbone wrote:
I'm kind of curious about the number of people who specifically mentioned they bring bandages/band-aids....have people been finding themselves in situations at Gencon where band-aids are needed on short notice? Or do folks all just carry bandages on a regular basis anyway?

I usually carry two or three in my pocket, just in case I randomly get cut or scratched by something.

Also useful if someone else has an injury. You don't have be the Cleric or Combat Medic to hand out a Bandaid. 

Posted by kevinrg quarex

quarex wrote:
I am excited to learn that headache powder still exists; I only knew it from the interstitial jokes on SiriusXM's 1940s music station, haha.

lol

Yes, Goody's and BC are the 2 common ones.   I'm horrible with taking pills so, I find they do the trick for my headaches.

Posted by fethbone roderick

roderick wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
fethbone wrote:

Also useful if someone else has an injury. You don't have be the Cleric or Combat Medic to hand out a Bandaid. 

Interesting. I can't say in all my years of con-going (5+ years of GenCon, intermittent other conventions since 2000) I have ever had a situation where I felt as though I needed to use or offer a band-aid whilst out and about. Attending with young children would be the only time I would think to keep band-aids on my person.

Just lucky I guess.

Posted by lore seeker fethbone

fethbone wrote:
roderick wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
fethbone wrote:

Interesting. I can't say in all my years of con-going (5+ years of GenCon, intermittent other conventions since 2000) I have ever had a situation where I felt as though I needed to use or offer a band-aid whilst out and about. Attending with young children would be the only time I would think to keep band-aids on my person.Just lucky I guess.

I am ridiculously prone to getting random cuts or scratches in my everyday life. Somehow, sharp edges seem to seek me out. I've even had situations where I look down at my hand or arm and see a cut, but don't remember feeling anything, so I'm stuck thinking "When did that happen?"

Posted by elvinlord kevinrg

kevinrg wrote:
A few things (*) I probably won't bring because I mainly use them due to the auction and shipping.
- Snacks (typically granola bar, nuts and tuna/cracker kit)
- 1 or 2 energy drinks
- Headache powder
- power cord/charger
- preprinted address labels (for shipping.. I just slap them on)*
- box tape*
- notebook
- pens
- hard top loaders with penny sleeves (to protect promo cards or sometimes from artists if I get a sketch card)
- book (why?  No idea.. I never read it, but in years past since I was never downtown, I was always WAY early downtown just to make sure I got a good parking spot, but even then, I usually find someone to talk to)
I like the card sleeves idea.  Usually just try to tuck promos somewhere with mixed success.

Posted by traveller

Lets see...

• head sized burlap sack
  • zip ties
  • duct tape
  • rope
  • plastic tarp
  • chloroform and rags

wait, this isn't my Gencon bag....

nothing to see here, move along.....

Posted by garhkal lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
fethbone wrote:
roderick wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
fethbone wrote:

Interesting. I can't say in all my years of con-going (5+ years of GenCon, intermittent other conventions since 2000) I have ever had a situation where I felt as though I needed to use or offer a band-aid whilst out and about. Attending with young children would be the only time I would think to keep band-aids on my person.Just lucky I guess.

I am ridiculously prone to getting random cuts or scratches in my everyday life. Somehow, sharp edges seem to seek me out. I've even had situations where I look down at my hand or arm and see a cut, but don't remember feeling anything, so I'm stuck thinking "When did that happen?"

There's been cons i have come out with half a dozen papercuts, from all the book handling i did, while others i didn't get a single one..  Having some bandaids would be great.

Posted by quarex

Haha.  I like that I just glossed over "head-sized" and was nodding along until "plastic tarp"

I actually want to unironically add "zip ties" to my list of things that have proven useful over the years; I never carried them myself, but my friend who always does has temporarily fixed a handful of things over the years (a backpack and a group's hanging flag come to mind) with them.

Posted by mikeboozer

It occurs to me that my bag is largely boring.

I do have the added advantage of having someone else caring it around for me.

• Staff schedules
  • Promo passes
  • note pad
  • pens
  • buttons (Those are cool)
  • Water bottle
  • garlic (Can't be to careful)
  • Wolfs Bane (See garlic above)
  • dice (I might be able to play...who am I kidding)

Mike

Posted by brooks mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:

• Staff schedules
  • Promo passes
  • note pad
  • pens
  • Water bottle

Mike

Given everything you're responsible for, I'm amazed it doesn't include a large bottle of antacids and a fifth of Jack Daniels. 

Posted by mikeboozer brooks

brooks wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:

• Staff schedules
  • Promo passes
  • note pad
  • pens
  • Water bottle

Mike

Given everything you're responsible for, I'm amazed it doesn't include a large bottle of antacids and a fifth of Jack Daniels. 

The Macallan 18 if you're ever buying. I'll take a 12...

Posted by jacobhonor

Don't forget the individually packaged butt wipes. It's always a bad time when you realize that the stall you're in hasn't been restocked...

Yes, it happened one time and I had to ask a stranger in the stall next to me for a roll. Never again.

Posted by genconkeeper

About the 1/3 the things you can carry in a backpack you slide into a Scott eVest. They are light and make a backpack easier to tote. 

Posted by quarex

I bought one of those vests based solely on your recommendation, Keeper (I even gave your name when they asked if anyone referred me to them, haha).  Definitely impressed with the obscene storage on offer there; honestly I could fit everything I "NEED" to carry with me in one, given that would be "some snacks, a drink, and my money."  And plus obviously you have room for ... like, anything else you can think of, basically.  When I saw it could hold a 15" laptop I both thought "who in the world would need that?" and "I wish I had not bought a 17" laptop"

ALSO related to this topic, one of the things that has kept me motivated while doing this seemingly endless move I am in the middle of (childhood home was sold at the same time as I was already moving, so I am merging an inordinate amount of stuff together) is making a pile of "things that could possibly be Gen-Con related."  Any stickers, pins, or buttons I find go in that pile to add to a bag I will bring; any change goes in a Gen-Container; any clothes that are so nerdy I would be unlikely to wear them anyway before September get washed and packed now; oh, what is in my bag is definitely going to bring me joy for months to come!

Posted by garhkal jacobhonor

jacobhonor wrote:
Don't forget the individually packaged butt wipes. It's always a bad time when you realize that the stall you're in hasn't been restocked...
Yes, it happened one time and I had to ask a stranger in the stall next to me for a roll. Never again.
I've done that twice..  Taken my own roll with me, or my own pack of scott's wet wipes..

Posted by njseahawksfan

I have a Bag of Holding Convention Bag and I've managed to pare it down to:

- Battery Pack plus cables for charging stuff
- Empty water bottle (ICC has filling stations all over ... actually will they this year with COVID?)
- Large pack of throat lozenges (I run demos, you see)
- A pen, a pencil & small pad of paper
- One or two granola bars
- A small bottle with a few Advil, a few Pepto, and few allergy pills
- A small pack of wet ones

That's it.

Posted by hahnarama

I figure I better reply since I started this thread so that I should at least have the common courtesy to post. For me the right question is what’s NOT in my bag, not what is in it. DECADES ago, pre kids pre move back East, I spent a lot of time hiking in the Cascades and Olympic ranges. The rule of thumb for comfort was to never carry more than 20% of your body weight. I take that rule to heart but I apply a 4-5% rule for Gen Con. For me that means about 8 Lbs max for a day on the floor.  Now don’t laugh but I no longer use a backpack. The past 5 Cons/Years has been all Mountainsmith Day Lumbar pack. NO it's not a fanny pack LOL. It has a messenger bag shoulder strap, but if it gets too heavy I can use the padded hip belt and lord straps to wear it on my waist. To be honest I barely know it’s there. Empty it weighs about 1 Lb 6 oz. Quick rundown 

• First aid kit
  • Bagel sandwich, usually Turkey, bacon, and spicy pepper jack
  • Bag of pre cut apples
  • (2) snickers bars, better that energy bars & one  HELL of  a diabetic kick
  • (1) 1.5 lt water and a 750 ml backup bottle. Sadly this is the only time that I used store bought water. IMO there is no need to carry an empty bottle with me all day
  • (2) pens
  • (2) mechanical pencils
  • Customer folder with my 3 D&D characters as well as a blank character sheet
  • A “basic” set of d20 system dice in a small plastic bag. The only exception to this is Shadowrun day when I have about 36+ d6 on a dice bag :)
  • No tablet just my Note 10+ which is almost as big
  • Anker ext battery & charging cable. It’s probably the heaviest thing in my bag, but I might have found a new model with 4000 more mAh 
  • (2) bottles of hand sanitizer, instead of the one I normally carry on the outside of my bag
  • (2) replacement facemasks instead of the ZERO I have carried in years past
  • (1) card box full of tissue paper. Great for story minis that I buy during the day. This year I]m shelling out the $30 for a M.O.D.O.K  LOL

Posted by hahnarama genconkeeper

genconkeeper wrote:
About the 1/3 the things you can carry in a backpack you slide into a Scott eVest. They are light and make a backpack easier to tote. 
I have owned 3 SeV over the last 20 years. They are great for airplanes. They are great to were in Autumn, Winter and Spring but they are just TOO DAMN hot to wear on the Con floor all day

Posted by quarex

I am really counting on the fact that I am always too hot in the convention center (well until things start to empty out around 7-8 P.M.) to carry me through trying out wearing one this year.  Though I bet anyone bold enough to just wear the vest would have an easier time!  No doubt very drafty.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.