Positive Antibody Tests and Bracelets
Posted by samlamiam

I had Covid and argued this same thing in all of my responses to the Gen Con Survey about vaccines.  They made their choice.  It's probably just an easier rule to enforce.

I got vaccinated because I knew I'd be treated like a second-class citizen without one.  We survived the disease.  We'll also survive the jab (even though requiring it of people who already had Covid is a tad illogical).

Posted by buffythecatslayer

We'll also survive the jab (even though requiring it of people who already had Covid is a tad illogical).

That is completely wrong.  If you’ve had the virus, then you only have antibodies against the strain you had.  The vaccine provides resistance to multiple strains, including the Delta variant, which you most likely did not have.

Posted by samlamiam buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:
We'll also survive the jab (even though requiring it of people who already had Covid is a tad illogical).

That is completely wrong.  If you’ve had the virus, then you only have antibodies against the strain you had.  The vaccine provides resistance to multiple strains, including the Delta variant, which you most likely did not have.

It isn't completely wrong.  Reinfection is very rare, despite there being many variants already.  The vaccines were made pre-Delta, so they were not designed specifically to combat Delta.

See, for example:

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/can-you-get-delta-variant-if-you-already-had-covid-19#Reinfection-remains-rare 

"A study from the Cleveland Clinic that tracked cases in healthcare workers who were either vaccinated or previously had COVID-19 found that the rate of reinfection is essentially the same as if they had been vaccinated.

Another study from Qatar similarly found that the chance of reinfection is similarly low among those who previously had COVID-19 and those who were vaccinated."

Despite all that, I encourage everyone to get vaccinated, and I got vaccinated myself after having Covid.  I think it is silly not to get vaccinated, but the claim that natural immunity is less effective than the vaccine is not supported by the science.

EDIT:  Couldn't resist adding another quote from the same article:

"Also, a recent report evaluating previous SARS-CoV-2 infections found that memory B cells produce new antibodies that can recognize the new variants and their mutations upon exposure to the pathogen.Because of the complexity of our immune system, the vast majority of reinfections — even with delta — are expected to be mild."

From the same article you linked:

Immunity after a previous infection does, in many cases, protect people from reinfection. And when it does occur, the illness tends to be mild. 

But immunity varies significantly from person to person, so while many people mount a strong, durable immune response that protects them against delta after a previous infection, some may generate a weak immune response and remain at risk. 

Due to the unknowns, some experts are advising people who have had COVID-19 to get at least one vaccine dose to boost their antibody levels. 

Others, however, are recommending people who’ve had COVID-19 to get fully vaccinated, either with two doses of a messenger RNA (mRNA) shot or the one dose of Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine.

But yeah, keep using cherry-picked information to justify not getting vaccinated.

Posted by samlamiam buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:But yeah, keep using cherry-picked information to justify not getting vaccinated.

What are you even talking about?  As I said, I did get vaccinated, and I encourage everyone to do the same.  I would love it if every single person on the planet got vaccinated.  But the stuff you said is still wrong.

Nothing in the quote you included disagrees with anything I have said.  Reinfection is rare and tends to be mild.  However, the whole article directly refutes your still unsubstantiated claim that "If you’ve had the virus, then you only have antibodies against the strain you had." 

You cannot create antibodies out of thin air.  You will only have antibodies for a strain you had.  However, those antibodies do appear to offer protection against other strains, which is good, but still does not negate the need to get vaccinated.

You stated that it was “illogical” to require vaccinations from people that had COVID.  Well, the parts of the article recommending the vaccine definitely disagree with that statement.

I got vaccinated because I knew I'd be treated like a second-class citizen without one.

That sounds like you feel you were coerced into it, not because it’s the medically correct thing to do.  So, your support of everyone getting vaccinated seems a bit off.

Posted by roderick

Okay, guys, cool down. Don't make me get all Moderator on this thread. 

Remember, this forum is for Gen Con; if you want to debate vaccines or Covid, there are other places on the web to do so. 

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

Posted by squirecam

I'm going to show proof of vaccination and get the bracelet but now that health districts are imposing mask mandates again or at least recommending it for everyone regardless of status I'm far more likely to just wear the mask.

I can still see Gencon just requiring it for all, especially  as more recommendations come in.

I'll still have a great time, even with a mask.

Posted by lore seeker

I don't have a problem with wearing a mask (fully vaccinated here), I just hope I can ditch it while running/playing games so I can make myself understood. That's the main advantage to the current Gen Con mask guidelines, as I see it.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.