Gen Con merchandise
Posted by pinheadjo

Is it just me...or is the fact that we can currently purchase a mask...and a small selection of t-shirts kind of a let down? I mean, no mug, no glass, no pins, no totes, no bags of any kind...really?

I would think with just 40+ days to go there might (hopefully) be a few other items available...

Posted by vulcanspock

Honestly, this seems like a small thing to be worried about in a pandemic.  I'm sure it is hard to predict demand and numbers in this situation.   I'm just glad to get the game on at all.  Maybe more will be available by September and they are just waiting on a better headcount.

Posted by quarex

I agree other than that they literally show a fairly good travel mug design as the picture for their "gear" section and then do not sell a travel mug in that section.

Posted by cinnibar

Yes, it is not impressive a stock at several weeks after being chosen as the official vendor.

I suspect we will have another new vendor next year at this rate.   So goes the business. 

Posted by hahnarama

OK can I ask what the huge attraction is for GC branded well...anything?  I'm not trying to start anything just trying to understand. 

The only official GC branded item* I have ever bought was the badge holder from about 10 years ago, and I still use it. Not because it says GC on it but because its practical and useful

* I take that back I won a free badge a few years ago at a Local Con and in addition to the 4 day badge they also gave me 3-4 GC branded "utility belts" They sat in one of my game closets for years before I finally got rid of them all...I think 

Posted by aaronmlopez hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:
OK can I ask what the huge attraction is for GC branded well...anything?  

Well, I'm a geek that loves souvenirs of my Geek-travels! Though I am disappointed with this year's offerings. I'll probably get the dice set as usual, but I am not sold on the designs of the official merchandise this year. 

Posted by mark_a aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote:
hahnarama wrote:
OK can I ask what the huge attraction is for GC branded well...anything?  

Well, I'm a geek that loves souvenirs of my Geek-travels! Though I am disappointed with this year's offerings. I'll probably get the dice set as usual, but I am not sold on the designs of the official merchandise this year. 

I enjoy collecting various annual Gen Con souvenirs (pins, dice, programs); nice to look at them from time to time and think about Gen Cons past.

I'm hopeful that there will be more/better items announced as we get closer to the con.

Posted by quarex hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:OK can I ask what the huge attraction is for GC branded well...anything?  I'm not trying to start anything just trying to understand. 
The only official GC branded item* I have ever bought was the badge holder from about 10 years ago, and I still use it. Not because it says GC on it but because its practical and useful
* I take that back I won a free badge a few years ago at a Local Con and in addition to the 4 day badge they also gave me 3-4 GC branded "utility belts" They sat in one of my game closets for years before I finally got rid of them all...I think  
I guess the answer you are looking for is that some people like displaying their love for Gen-Con?

I have actually been buying more Gen-Con branded gear over the years.  At this point I estimate I wear Gen-Con-related shirts about 75% of the time, and some of the rest is still convention-adjacent (like my 5/2/1 shirt or my "RET-CON 2020: Let's Try Again Next Year" shirt, hah).  Certainly it helps that I went from wearing business casual most of the week for several years to, well, not, thanks to the pandemic.

For the record I did only buy two shirts from Rollacrit, and one of them was a women's shirt without being advertised as a women's shirt, which was about the worst experience I have had with a Gen-Con vendor (I wash every shirt before wearing it, so it was not like I could return it).  Honestly though I am keeping it because if I lose about 20 pounds I bet I can totally rock it anyway

But yes, the point is... I mean, I just ordered a print of the 2006 program guide and have it prominently displayed when you enter my home (for obvious reasons, if you have seen the 2006 program guide cover).  I have a swag bag from the 2002 show on the wall of my office.  I have a copy of the Indy Nuvo magazine with a Gen-Con ad up on the wall next to my LIFE LESS ORDINARY 2003? Gen-Con flyer.  Having a couple of dozen shirts just makes sense.  Though of course we all have the things that make no sense to us; I have a half-dozen of the Gen-Con year dice but have no interest in actually collecting dice, because I actually DO believe you can have too many dice(!)

Posted by aaronmlopez quarex

quarex wrote:

because I actually DO believe you can have too many dice(!)

That statement right there... that's just asking for a fight!!! Now roll for initiative! lol!

Posted by rich

To each their own nostalgia items I guess. I do only randomly
buy Gen Con merch here and there over the years, but have
lovingly saved every Gencon badge and program
since my first Gencon in 1984. 

Posted by lore seeker

I keep the badges and programs too, but that's really about it. The only time I ever felt the need to purchase an official Gen Con t-shirt was during the 50th convention.

Posted by cinnibar

OWD had some very nice shirts, non-tshirt, with pockets, long sleeves, collars, comfortable and well-fitting, with a small logo on the upper left with a pocket.  Sometimes short-sleeve polos.  I found myself buying these cause I can wear them, out on the town, or just in general.  They don't have the splashy full-image front-picture that is far too casual for me to be comfortable wearing. 

And people would notice and ask about Gen Con.

So far, Rollacrit just has the few t-shirt designs, each with large logo, no pockets...it's just a t-shirt that I might wear at the convention, but useless to me otherwise.  I hope for the best, but resigned that this year I won't be getting a shirt as the store goes through its growing pains.

And are they going to have badge holders?   I don't see badge holders yet.

Posted by matthias9 rich

rich wrote:
To each their own nostalgia items I guess. I do only randomly
buy Gen Con merch here and there over the years, but have
lovingly saved every Gencon badge and program
since my first Gencon in 1984. 

Randomly buy Gen Con merch?  How does that work?  Do you have a table that you roll on? 

(Wish I had been smart enough to archive my programs and badges since the 80s.)

Posted by raptorov

I usually spend way too much on GenCon merchandise. I would buy several GC shirts, tees and polos, as well as the shirts from The Ram and Scotty's every year. Plus, mugs, glasses, flags, bags, and backpacks over the years.
I love folks coming up and start talking gaming when I wear them. I guess its like how some people wear sport logos and stuff.
Last year had some great 2020 designs, and I am really glad I got them, especially as things are now. 

Posted by quarex aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote:
quarex wrote:

because I actually DO believe you can have too many dice(!)

That statement right there... that's just asking for a fight!!! Now roll for initiative! lol!
If only I had more dice, I might have some handy to roll off!

Posted by hahnarama

This morning I putting my new badge and event tix in my badge holder. I always forget I have my favorite Gen Con souvenir in there. It's a small scrap of paper that I found at GC 2012 during the great WotC Drow Dice chase. 

It was stuck between the seat cushion and side of the chair. It says "You will be paid well for your continued service to Lolth" It always reminds me of the great time I had with my buddies that GC. You CANNOT buy that at the official store :) 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.