Is there a chance Gen Con could be cancelled?
1 3 4
1 3 4
Posted by blueskyy

Is there a chance that Gen Con could be cancelled for this year? I just got an email re: mandatory masks, which I am fine with. But since everything seems to be getting worse by the day, I was curious, could they still cancel it?

Posted by grognard262

I highly doubt it, but I am expecting a bunch of no-shows.  Generic tickets might be more useful than usual this year.

Posted by lore seeker

Barring a lockdown by the state of Indiana, I doubt it'll be cancelled.

Posted by donaldbain

Yes, there is.

I doubt Gen Con the company will cancel, but there's still a chance the city, state, or feds may ban large gatherings.  I'm waiting on the fall out (if any) from Sturgis and Lollapalooza to determine things.  By the the time the con rolls around, any super spreading (if any) will have spread and the proper authorities will take it from there. 

Nothing is certain, and that's for sure.

Posted by squirecam lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
I agree with this.

They already have social distanced events and mask mandate. Its about as safe as it can be without making it vax only.

Posted by oldcurmudgeonstudios

Cancellation won't happen.

Posted by matthias9 squirecam

squirecam wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
I agree with this.They already have social distanced events and mask mandate. Its about as safe as it can be without making it vax only.

What?  If there was desire for actually safety instead of just sanctimony and public health theater,, it WOULD be vaccine only.   It's what other places are doing. And, by the way, it is what works.

Besides that, there are other ways to make it safer including simply cancellation or online only.  

Posted by squirecam matthias9

matthias9 wrote:
squirecam wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
I agree with this.They already have social distanced events and mask mandate. Its about as safe as it can be without making it vax only.

What?  If there was desire for actually safety instead of just sanctimony and public health theater,, it WOULD be vaccine only.   It's what other places are doing. And, by the way, it is what works.Besides that, there are other ways to make it safer including simply cancellation or online only.  
Mandating masks isnt sanctimony. Gencon has been doing what think is best for safety while trying to be inclusive. 

Cancelling the con could lead to the end of Gencon. No one wants that.

If you are vaxed and wear an N95 you are at little risk when everyone else is masked and distanced as well.

And FTR I was in favor of a vax only convention. But they decided not to do it and it's really late now to require it.

Posted by lore seeker

Like I said in another thread, it's not too late for Gen Con to make this a vax-only convention (and they haven't ruled it out). It is too late for unvaccinated potential attendees to make their decision whether or not to get the vaccine based on Gen Con's decision, unless they go the J&J route.

Personally, I'd like a vax-only convention (with the only exceptions being those who can't get it, either for medical reasons or because they're not old enough), but the current setup works for me too.

Posted by matthias9 squirecam

squirecam wrote:
matthias9 wrote:
squirecam wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:

What?  If there was desire for actually safety instead of just sanctimony and public health theater,, it WOULD be vaccine only.   It's what other places are doing. And, by the way, it is what works.Besides that, there are other ways to make it safer including simply cancellation or online only.  
Mandating masks isnt sanctimony. Gencon has been doing what think is best for safety while trying to be inclusive. Cancelling the con could lead to the end of Gencon. No one wants that.
If you are vaxed and wear an N95 you are at little risk when everyone else is masked and distanced as well.
And FTR I was in favor of a vax only convention. But they decided not to do it and it's really late now to require it.

If there was a desire for genuine safety, this convention would be vaccine required.  The evidence is very clear about the effectiveness of vaccines versus other methods like masks.

You keep saying it is too late.  But, it is not.  In fact, their latest update was clear that a vaccine requirement is still a possibility.  If they don't think it is too late, why do you?

And your calculus on that is based on getting to MAXIMUM protection from the vaccine.  You ignore the fact that a person who starts the process now will still be safer (even if not reaching maximum protection) than they would with no vaccine and a mask on.

Again, I hear a lot of talking about 'safety', but the decisions made don't actually reflect that priority.  It's theater at this point.

Posted by papabees

I think the only reason they have not required vax only is that they don't know if they have the legal grounds to do so in the State of Indiana. Based on their most recent Blog post I think they are vey much in favor of that but don't want sued.

Posted by sovietprince

if it's vaxed only then there is no need for everyone to wear a mask

Posted by grognard262 papabees

papabees wrote:
I think the only reason they have not required vax only is that they don't know if they have the legal grounds to do so in the State of Indiana. Based on their most recent Blog post I think they are vey much in favor of that but don't want sued.

The other problem is that at this point it could throw the entire convention into chaos.  All the events are scheduled, vacation and travel plans are made, rooms are booked, and it is (almost) too late for people to get vaccinated.  If even 10% of the GMs are unable to attend because they aren't vaccinated, there are going to be something like 2000 cancelled events.  It will be a hot mess, anger will be through the roof, and loss of goodwill could inflict lasting damage on Gen Con that could take many years to recover.

Posted by egotrip115 sovietprince

sovietprince wrote:

Fully vaccinated people can both get and transmit the virus.
Large groups indoors should be masked even if everyone is vaccinated.

Posted by matthias9 grognard262

chaoticneutral262 wrote:
papabees wrote:

The other problem is that at this point it could throw the entire convention into chaos.  All the events are scheduled, vacation and travel plans are made, rooms are booked, and it is (almost) too late for people to get vaccinated.  If even 10% of the GMs are unable to attend because they aren't vaccinated, there are going to be something like 2000 cancelled events.  It will be a hot mess, anger will be through the roof, and loss of goodwill could inflict lasting damage on Gen Con that could take many years to recover.

1)  It's not too late to get vaccinated.  This right here is the problem with Gen Con's plans.  We should be putting all our emphasis on ENCOURAGING people to get vaccinated.  Instead, they've removed all incentive.  This is at a time when organizations across the country, including the US military, are providing incentives and/or mandates to get vaccinated.

2)  It shouldn't be close to 10% of GMs.  As of their survey, 87% of attendees were vaccinated with another 5% planning to do so.  With incentives and/or mandate, it'd probably go higher.

3)  You fail to mention the "hot mess, anger will be through the roof, and loss of goodwill could inflict lasting damage" from the MASK rule.  Look around, people are demanding refunds.  Considering the numbers cited above, this could be worse impact than a vaccine mandate would be.  And, not for nothing, the vaccine actually protects people at a much higher rate than masks, which are better than nothing, but have a small effect size compared to vaccines.

Posted by lore seeker

Something else that occurred to me about an all-vaccinated convention:

Gen Con might be waiting for full FDA approval of the vaccine, just to ensure they've got all the bases covered.

That approval might actually happen this month.

Posted by grognard262 lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
Gen Con might be waiting for full FDA approval of the vaccine, just to ensure they've got all the bases covered.

Another possibility is that they would give you an option of (a) prove you are vaccinated; or (b) show that you've have a negative test in the past 48 hours.  Summerfest in Milwaukee just announced they are doing that (followed by the requisite outrage, of course).  I think Lollapalooza did that as well.

It probably wouldn't negate the mask mandate, however.  Barring a miraculous collapse in cases, that ship has sailed.

Posted by lore seeker

Yeah, Lollapalooza did that.

Posted by tdb lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:

It's likely if FDA approval happens it will be too late for many people who aren't yet vaccinated to get it before the con.  What then?  Are those people just screwed out of their badges, tickets, and hotel cost? They've already indicated they won't issue refunds based on the mask requirement.

Posted by stivmc egotrip115

egotrip115 wrote:
sovietprince wrote:

Fully vaccinated people can both get and transmit the virus.
Large groups indoors should be masked even if everyone is vaccinated.

Yes, vaxed people can get infected and transfer, in extremely low percentages

Hospitalized or fatal vaccine breakthrough cases reported to CDC. 7,525. out of 164 million people fully vaxed
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/health-departments/breakthrough-cases.html

Masks prevent the sick from giving it to the non-sick; so everyone getting vaxed is the best answer.  Not making vaxed mask up for no good reason.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3 4
1 3 4