International Attendee Covid Testing Options
Posted by forar

I will be working with one of the booths at Gencon, and to do so I'm flying in from Canada.

Flights to and from Canada require a negative Covid Test to be obtained both ways, an Antigen test going into the US, and a PCR test to come back into Canada.

The former seems to be easily available, with dozens of pharmacies near me offering them at a cost effective and timely manner.

The latter is a bigger question. I know testing is available at the airport, but is noted by some travelers I know as being expensive and possibly requiring being at the airport much earlier than I'll be able to be there.

I'm assuming Indianapolis has a variety of pharmacies and other possible options for obtaining tests, but I thought that on top of Google'ing the matter, that I'd ask here, to see if anyone local has input on timely and cost effective testing options, or if any other international travelers had thoughts to share on the matter?

I am, of course, fully vaccinated (and will have been for 2 months when we hit the convention floor), and am doing my best to remain even safer than normal in the weeks leading up to the event. My main concern for now is making sure I can get home without issues. And yes, I'm aware that attending an event of this size, even masked and vaccinated, carries non-negligible risk. Setting aside the wisdom of the choice in attending at all, I'm just looking for options for traveler testing in the downtown Indianapolis area.

Thank you.

Posted by hahnarama

Well damn....normally I would recommend the CVS on Illinois but they are not returning after last summers riots

Your best bet might be IU Methodist Hospital off 16th and Capitol 

Posted by colbrook

Someone asked on the Discord and they responded that they've been working on a list of testing sites to add to the FAQ. 

Posted by forar

That would be very helpful. From my efforts Google'ing up options and answers so far, based on the distance to several clinics/services or the restricted time frames in play, taking the bus back to the Airport on Friday or Saturday for a test is currently leading the options in terms of cost and minimal imposition on the team's resources (including my presence).

Posted by donaldbain

There is a CVS three blocks from the Con

https://www.cvs.com/store-locator/indianapolis-in-pharmacies/336-south-delaware-st-indianapolis-in-46204/storeid=10903?WT.mc_id=LS_GOOGLE_FS_10903

Posted by stahlnee

Have you checked if the international airport you are flying outbound has testing?

Posted by helenbb

Will Canada accept one of the at-home tests? Then you could test from your hotel room.

Posted by araubvogel

Canada does not accept the at-home tests. It has to be a PCR test (there are a few other tests that are acceptable too, but not the antigen tests). Also be aware: the test has to be administered within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your flight back to canada.

Posted by stahlnee

Here is the website that should have the latest information on what you are required to do. You will have to follow the links and keep yourself update on what is needed to enter Canada.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid

It may or may not differ than what is needed to board the flight in the US.

Posted by forar stahlnee

stahlnee wrote:Have you checked if the international airport you are flying outbound has testing?

The Indianapolis airport does, but needing to trek all the way back to the airport Saturday or Sunday after a shift would not be ideal.

If it's the only reasonable option, I'll make it work, but something available downtown is probably going to be vastly more workable.

Late edit: that said, turnaround time on the test is also important. I'm seeing some services that do testing, but don't work weekends, or their time frame is 3-5 business days. Needing to get it within 72 hours of departure means that anything more than an expected 24 hour turnaround is already pushing it, and likely a non-starter.

Posted by persiandragoon

COVIDclinic.org

Posted by ladye forar

forar wrote:
That would be very helpful. From my efforts Google'ing up options and answers so far, based on the distance to several clinics/services or the restricted time frames in play, taking the bus back to the Airport on Friday or Saturday for a test is currently leading the options in terms of cost and minimal imposition on the team's resources (including my presence).
Depending on what the necessary timing for the negative test is, there is mobile Covid testing/vaccination van on Thursdays at the Government Center. Edited to add the times: 10:30 am to 1:30 pm.

Posted by hahnarama

this was just posted in the latest email update
Downtown testing site

https://appointment.genepace.com/v2/#book

Posted by picosaurus hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:
Downtown testing site

Looks like they don't have any availability the week of GenCon. Hopefully it's a case of them not opening up bookings for that week yet.

Posted by hahnarama

:(

Posted by forar ladye

ladye wrote:
forar wrote:
Depending on what the necessary timing for the negative test is, there is mobile Covid testing/vaccination van on Thursdays at the Government Center. Edited to add the times: 10:30 am to 1:30 pm.

The test has to be taken less than 72 hours from when I board my departing flight. Given that I fly home Monday evening, this means anything earlier than Friday evening is a non-starter, personally (might be useful for others of course, don't let that very specific personal limitation preclude sharing info for others, of course!), but good to know there's some options showing up.

So far it looks like a CVS near the convention center or the hotel might be my best bet, depending on some scheduling and availability, with the airport being Plan C as a fallback, at least so far. We're also far enough out that not all options might be available yet, as a number of places don't book more than 2 weeks out, and I'm 3 weeks from needing the test, so there's still time to wait and see.

Posted by forar picosaurus

picosaurus wrote:
hahnarama wrote:
Downtown testing site

Looks like they don't have any availability the week of GenCon. Hopefully it's a case of them not opening up bookings for that week yet.

Looks like they don't typically do testing on weekends, hopefully they make an exception for Gencon weekend.

Posted by forar colbrook

colbrook wrote:Someone asked on the Discord and they responded that they've been working on a list of testing sites to add to the FAQ. 

Does anyone know if there has been anything further said on the Discord channel about this? Not to be too antsy, but we're almost down to a week from showtime, and I'm not seeing any FAQ updates just yet.

Just trying to be proactive on the matter and keep abreast of info to the best of my ability, especially since I fly out to the event on Monday (for setup on Tuesday and Wednesday), and will thus be rather buried in work and don't want to miss options for timely/local testing on the weekend while we're in the thick of things.

Posted by kmlorenz

If it hasn't been posted by now, I would make your own arrangements. the CVS and Genepace locations downtown aren't offering any weekend bookings that I could find, but the other genepace location did have Saturday slots if I remember correctly. if you can get a convenient weekend booked time at the airport it might be your best bet to bite the bullet on the commute and get something locked down. or try and get an earlier flight on Monday so that you can get your test done downtown on Friday.

Good Luck.

Posted by forar

Flight is locked in and based on needing to be present for the full tear down and placing stuff in storage, so I guess I'll be trying to find something local to the con, the hotel, or at the airport in the next few days (a lot of places weren't allowing bookings more than a week out anyways).

Not looking to half ass this being set up, but the limited timing/availability is definitely adding a snag.

Didn't think it'd be quite so hard to find someone to poke me in the brain with a q-tip, but here we are.

Maybe if they knew how much of a jerk I can be, they'd be a bit more eager to help me line this up?

All kidding aside, I'm fairly optimistic it'll work out in the end, just trying to do my due diligence before the team is in the thick of things.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.