Mask rules in Indianapolis?
Posted by drmean

The governor of my state has ruled that are masks are not required. They are not prohibited. Just not required. 

All of the businesses I've encountered here do not require masks. (Doctor offices are the only ones I've run into that do require them.)

So I'm wondering what the rules are in Indianapolis. I've been looking around and haven't really found anything specific. Was hoping maybe a local or two might be able to explain what the rules are there.

I know masks are required at the ICC. But what about other places like restaurants and hotels? Is there an overall rule for the city or is it up to each business?

And what about public spaces outdoors or just walking through the skywalk or riding on the airport shuttle?

I'm not trying to start an argument about the merits of the rules or anything like that. I just would like to know what the rules are so I can follow them. Where I live, the rules are pretty loose, but I know that is not the case everywhere.

Posted by malfakter

As of today, masks are not required except in airports, government facilities and medical facilities.  They might be required on public transportation services (busses), too, but I don't use them.  Masks are not required anywhere else in Indianapolis.  Businesses are left to themselves to require masks or not.  I travel all over Indianapolis regularly, and I haven't seen any businesses that are requiring them for entry.

Posted by drmean

Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for. 

Besides the rules/laws, I was afraid of drawing the ire of the locals by not fitting in. I know masks can often be a touchy subject out in public and I didn't know what the overall attitude was like in Indianapolis.

But it sounds like it is just like it is here. People are free to wear them or not and are not generally harassed either way.

Posted by lore seeker

Forget fitting in. Make the decisions that will keep you safe and healthy, peanut gallery commentary be damned.

Posted by drmean

Very true. I live in a kinda small town and feel safe enough to go mask free here. (Yes, I'm vaccinated.)
Been doing it for a few months now. 

But I think I'll be changing that while I'm indoors there. Just so many people coming in from all over kinda throws a huge variable into the mix. 

I was a little worried about what the 'vibe' regarding masks would be there, but now I realize that I will be mostly surrounded by GenConners. So I'm sure there is nothing to worry about on that front.

Posted by cinnibar

No.

You're fooling yourself.

The rules of the locale have changed often from different authorities over the last several months.

Assume masking will be required.  The Mayor, Governor, Legislature, all could put in a mask policy change on Sept 15th, or even mid-convention Sept 17th or any time they feel like it.  That could leave you hungry on the sidewalk.

Scout Motto: Be Prepared.

Also, the general vibe I get is no little praise for the mask requirement and growing frustration with the anti-mask crowd (one tried to sell fake masks even).  This is definitely a touch point among many. 

Posted by ladye

Some small mom and pop restaurants are requiring masks when not eating. Particularly the Chinese takeout places, and I saw the requirement on one Indian place's website recently.

Posted by malfakter

I wear one when asked to.  For the last several months, that's only been at the airport and medical facilities.  I go out to eat frequently and drive all over town.  I've not come across any businesses or restaurants in Marion County that are requiring them.  Judging by the number of people walking around downtown without masks, I don't see that changing unless a mandate is reinstated.

Even if a mandate is reinstated, I expect it to only apply to indoor spaces.  I don't foresee Hogsett going to masking in all public spaces.

Posted by hahnarama

Well the new law in Indiana is that a mayor, aka the Executive branch, no longer has the power to require a public health mandate unless he goes before the City Council, aka the legislative branch.

The next schd Council meeting is not until 9/13 but as long as business keep self policing and setting policies I don't think it will get to that step 

Just be smart and be safe

Posted by catlin

Keep in mind also that really busy outdoor spaces are no safer then indoors. When we are all jammed in around the corners waiting to cross the streets, you might still want to mask up.

Posted by timjs21

I hope everyone eligible for the vaccine have been vaccinated or are in the process of doing so.  I think it's important for people to begin moving to the mindset that COVID needs to be treated like the flu.  It will always be with us since there is no way to eradicate it.  It will mutate which will require either annual vaccination or booster shots.  We can live with it just like we live with the flu.  We have learned a tremendous amount about COVID since it arrived regarding how to treat it.  Don't let fear stop you from living your life to it's fullest. 

Posted by helenbb cinnibar

cinnibar wrote:(one tried to sell fake masks even).

What is a fake mask? Either it covers your mouth/nose or it doesn't...?

That being said, there have been times I have longed for a 'disguise self' spell to make it look like I'm wearing a mask...  at times when I am having difficulty breathing. But I don't see that as being a realistic option, even at Gen Con. ;)

Posted by rfsullivan

"Fake masks" are mostly stuff that is meant to look like a mask, but really do nothing; masks with too much venting, material too thin to trap droplets, or basically being a mesh material. 

Posted by grognard262

rfsullivan wrote:
"Fake masks" are mostly stuff that is meant to look like a mask, but really do nothing; masks with too much venting, material too thin to trap droplets, or basically being a mesh material. 

I tried one of those on and it was really uncomfortable.  More of a gag/political statement than anything.

For someone who is prioritizing comfort, I would recommend a single-layer bamboo muslin face mask with adjustable ear straps and a nose wire.  They are the closest thing to tolerable that I have found.

Of course, if you haven't been vaccinated or recently recovered from an infection, the you should be considering a fitted N-95 to protect yourself.

Posted by forar

For those who are vaccinated and are mainly looking for comfort/breathability (without it being literally useless), I've heard really good things from a few sources about Under Armor's line of masks. My girlfriend is a professional dancer and she's quite impressed with hers. I haven't got one yet, but plan to snag one before I head to Indianapolis (I'm on the booth setup and teardown crew, so having a mask like that could be a life saver, especially if the AC is off for setup on Tuesday/Wednesday, as it has been in the past).

Posted by papabees forar

forar wrote:
For those who are vaccinated and are mainly looking for comfort/breathability (without it being literally useless), I've heard really good things from a few sources about Under Armor's line of masks. My girlfriend is a professional dancer and she's quite impressed with hers. I haven't got one yet, but plan to snag one before I head to Indianapolis (I'm on the booth setup and teardown crew, so having a mask like that could be a life saver, especially if the AC is off for setup on Tuesday/Wednesday, as it has been in the past).
Good for her. I tried those and hated it as it seemed way to thick and did not wick moisture.

Posted by forar papabees

papabees wrote:
forar wrote:
Good for her. I tried those and hated it as it seemed way to thick and did not wick moisture.
If you have other suggestions, I'm open to hearing them.

As someone who is going to be masked up for the majority of all 4 days and attempting to run demo's over the din of the exhibitor hall, I'm looking for the best options I can.

UA aren't all that great, in your opinion. Cool.

What is?

Posted by kellishaver

FWIW, I bought some KF94 masks recently off Amazon and they have some contour to them so they're not pressed right against your face. They feel a little cooler and less restrictive and your voice won't be as muffled, which might be handy if you're running events. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08J95F5TR

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.