Publishers pulling out: last second cancelations
( Locked)
Posted by hahnarama

Is anyone keeping a list?

I just found out PlaidHat has pulled the plug. (I'm a few days late) 

if you know if others please feel free to post them here.

Posted by quarex

Dwarven Forge was the only one I had heard about pulling out, so that does at least make two.

Posted by lore seeker

Mindclash apparently dropped out because their team can't travel from Europe to the US.

On the other hand, Kelsey said on the Discord that they're still filling those booth spaces, just with other exhibitors (sounds like there's a list of backup companies/exhibitors they call up if someone backs out).

Posted by brumcg

Kelsey also said on Discord that they are going to update the list in this week.

Posted by hahnarama

So if they are back filling empty vendor spots with new exhibitors I guess that means the vendors who canceled were given a refund. LOL just having fun throwing some gasoline on that smoldering fire :)

If they actually do release a new list I hope Gen Con is open and transparent andlists those publishers that have pulled out

Posted by donaldbain

R. Talsorian Games has cancelled.  Posted on the Fans of Gen Con facebook.

Posted by donaldbain

Brotherwise as well.

https://www.facebook.com/BrotherwiseGames

Posted by xanathon

I can understand not being able to travel from another country, but a sponsor pulling out less than one month before the event starts is poor form.  

Posted by hahnarama

I respectfully disagree on the bad form. 

I'm choosing, of my own free will, to potentially put myself at a higher risk by attending a Con that for me is a fun filled vacation.

If my employer told me I needed to get on a plane and be in a room with 25,000 other people ...well I might start looking for a new job. 

Am I sad, not upset, that publishers are pulling out sure but my frustration/anger is directed at the IDIOTS who have brought about this 11th Plague of Egypt upon us. They are the reason that the rest of us cannot have nice things. 

GAME ON! 

Posted by phandaal hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:
I'm choosing, of my own free will, to potentially put myself at a higher risk by attending a Con that for me is a fun filled vacation.
If my employer told me I needed to get on a plane and be in a room with 25,000 other people ...well I might start looking for a new job.

The people choosing to pull out of the con probably aren't base level employees who would be told to show up somewhere and run a booth.

Some company execs do in fact show up to man their own booths, but in that case it's still their choice if they show up or not.

Dropping out two weeks before the convention and leaving Gen Con's organizers holding the bag is poor form.

Posted by funny-shaped dice phandaal

phandaal wrote:
hahnarama wrote:

Dropping out two weeks before the convention and leaving Gen Con's organizers holding the bag is poor form.

As I am sure you are aware, we're in the midst of a pandemic.

R Talsorian Games summed their reasons for pulling out nicely:

And that’s why, in good conscience, we cannot attend the convention. The health and safety of our crew comes first and the numbers in Indiana are abysmal. The vaccination rates are too low, the positivity rates and new case rates too high, and the social mandates designed to protect people too few. If even one member of our crew caught COVID-19 while attending Gen Con or carried it home to their loved ones and their local community, that would be one too many.

...Unfortunately, conventions never happen just inside the convention center. With airports, hotels, open spaces, and places to eat at play, the risk of infection is just too high.

If I believed for a second that Gen Con organizer's were completely blindsided by the fact that vendors could pull out in the midst of a pandemic, I might be able to see it your way - but that's not even a realistic assumption.  From the start, everyone (including Gen Con's organizers) knew there was a risk that Gen Con 2021 would be very different from years past - and that steps such as last minute mask mandates, vaccination mandates or cancellation were on the table. It was a calculated risk to proceed.  Some people (vendors and attendees) are coming to the conclusion that it is no longer worth the risk - especially considering that people will be coming from (at least) all around the US and that, mask mandate or not, there are too many opportunities to spread disease in common areas.

It is hardly "bad form" to do right by your employees and the communities your employees will go back to after mingling with 30,000 gaming geeks. 

Posted by cinnibar

'do right by your employees'.  You know, I do feel sorry for their people who were depending on badges and rooms for work at the publisher booth and events.  

Posted by hahnarama phandaal

phandaal wrote:

(I better post this before this thread gets locked) Employee/volunteer safety versus making sure a bunch of nerds, Yes I am PROUD to wear my nerd badge, are happy? I would choose safety every time. 

Hey when I bought my badge way back in May? , cant remember, did I think that Delta would be running rampant? HELL NO ad I doubt most of these publishers pulling thought that way ether...but look at the numbers. They keep going up.

As I have said before Gen Con is what you make it, aka whats between your ears. I for one am still going in with a good mind set and plan on making it the BEST gen Con ever...until 2022.

Signed,

The guy who bought a CFAR policy :) 

Posted by holisticdeveloper

Any chance we can keep this thread to “news” of vendors dropping, and have a different thread for commenting on the merits of doing so?

Posted by mikeboozer holisticdeveloper

holisticdeveloper wrote:
Any chance we can keep this thread to “news” of vendors dropping, and have a different thread for commenting on the merits of doing so?

Yes, There is a very good chance of that. Stay on target people. 

Any more discussion or debate needs to go somewhere else.

Mike

Posted by donaldbain

Game Brewer is also out.

https://twitter.com/Game_Brewer/status/1433082216138035201

Worry begins to creep in.

Posted by lore seeker donaldbain

It looks like they're HQ'd in Belgium. They might not have been able to come to the states, or enough people from there might have been planned to man the booth (and couldn't come) that they had to cancel.

Posted by hahnarama

I'm sure they're very real possibility of being stuck in the US and not be able to fly back home was All they needed to hear

Posted by xanathon hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:
Am I sad, not upset, that publishers are pulling out sure but my frustration/anger is directed at the IDIOTS who have brought about this 11th Plague of Egypt upon us. They are the reason that the rest of us cannot have nice things. 
GAME ON! 
We can agree to disagree.  If they had pulled out when the Delta variant reared its ugly head I would not have thought the way I do on this.  However they did not pull out of attending back in July they waited until two weeks before the start of the convention to do so.  That is bad form as now Gen Con likely doesn't have a chance to fill the space that would have been occupied by Talisorian Games.

Posted by donaldbain xanathon

xanathon wrote:We can agree to disagree.  If they had pulled out when the Delta variant reared its ugly head I would not have thought the way I do on this.  However they did not pull out of attending back in July they waited until two weeks before the start of the convention to do so.  That is bad form as now Gen Con likely doesn't have a chance to fill the space that would have been occupied by Talisorian Games.
You agreed to got to the Christmas party back in October when the roads were clear, so even thought there's two feet of snow on the roads now, you should still go to party.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.