Have to pay before browsing the game library?
Posted by ifandbut

We were bored on Saturday and wanted to check out the board game library. We were told we had to pay tickets to even browse the selection of games. I dont understand this. Why should I pay before knowing if my group will find a game we want to play? They said they had a list of games but just a list of names doesn't help me know if a game I dont know would be intresting.

Posted by wavester

because you need to pay to get into area (because once you are in there you are assumed to have paid and will be treated as such). Also there is a limit to how many people can be in there and if it was me I want paying people in there not 'hanging out' people. As you said they had a list and if you knew the type of the game you like I know for a fact they have ninja's there that would have given you a list arms length of similar games you would have liked. 

Also it would be like asking the theme park if you can go browse the rides before paying to get in to make sure there is something you want.

also I have nothing to do with the library in any fashion LOL. I just have my sassy shorts on today.

Posted by x51

Not sure if they told you, but they also had a q code on a table to be able to search the library games on your own. 

Posted by ifandbut x51

x51 wrote:
Not sure if they told you, but they also had a q code on a table to be able to search the library games on your own. 
They never mentioned that.

Posted by ifandbut wavester

wavester wrote:
because you need to pay to get into area (because once you are in there you are assumed to have paid and will be treated as such). Also there is a limit to how many people can be in there and if it was me I want paying people in there not 'hanging out' people. As you said they had a list and if you knew the type of the game you like I know for a fact they have ninja's there that would have given you a list arms length of similar games you would have liked. 
Also it would be like asking the theme park if you can go browse the rides before paying to get in to make sure there is something you want.
also I have nothing to do with the library in any fashion LOL. I just have my sassy shorts on today.
Does the list have descriptions and front/backs of the games? From the sounds of it, I assumed it was just a list of names.

And I disagree that "because once you are in there you are assumed to have paid and will be treated as such" because the area could easily be redesigned so that to get from the game shelves to the play area you must pass by the ticketing stand.

And your comparison with a theme part is kinda bull. A better comparison would be having to pay for a video before browsing a video rental store.

Posted by jedijawa74

One of my buddies helps to run and store the Board Game Library each year.  It is a volunteer position, and it is a lot of work.  If they want to control access to the BGL then that is their prerogative, that is why you can sign up for a specific ticket or you can use generics if there are spots left.  It is in no way included with the cost of your badge.

Posted by jillt ifandbut

ifandbut wrote:
wavester wrote:
because you need to pay to get into area (because once you are in there you are assumed to have paid and will be treated as such). Also there is a limit to how many people can be in there and if it was me I want paying people in there not 'hanging out' people. As you said they had a list and if you knew the type of the game you like I know for a fact they have ninja's there that would have given you a list arms length of similar games you would have liked. 
Also it would be like asking the theme park if you can go browse the rides before paying to get in to make sure there is something you want.
also I have nothing to do with the library in any fashion LOL. I just have my sassy shorts on today.
Does the list have descriptions and front/backs of the games? From the sounds of it, I assumed it was just a list of names.And I disagree that "because once you are in there you are assumed to have paid and will be treated as such" because the area could easily be redesigned so that to get from the game shelves to the play area you must pass by the ticketing stand.
And your comparison with a theme part is kinda bull. A better comparison would be having to pay for a video before browsing a video rental store.

Posted by jillt ifandbut

ifandbut wrote:
wavester wrote:
because you need to pay to get into area (because once you are in there you are assumed to have paid and will be treated as such). Also there is a limit to how many people can be in there and if it was me I want paying people in there not 'hanging out' people. As you said they had a list and if you knew the type of the game you like I know for a fact they have ninja's there that would have given you a list arms length of similar games you would have liked. 
Also it would be like asking the theme park if you can go browse the rides before paying to get in to make sure there is something you want.
also I have nothing to do with the library in any fashion LOL. I just have my sassy shorts on today.
Does the list have descriptions and front/backs of the games? From the sounds of it, I assumed it was just a list of names.And I disagree that "because once you are in there you are assumed to have paid and will be treated as such" because the area could easily be redesigned so that to get from the game shelves to the play area you must pass by the ticketing stand.
And your comparison with a theme part is kinda bull. A better comparison would be having to pay for a video before browsing a video rental store.

it has always been a paid ticket entry for a certain amount of hours and if they let people browse and then had ticketing at a later point I think theft or damage (pieces falling out) could be an issue

Posted by ifandbut jedijawa74

jedijawa74 wrote:
One of my buddies helps to run and store the Board Game Library each year.  It is a volunteer position, and it is a lot of work.  If they want to control access to the BGL then that is their prerogative, that is why you can sign up for a specific ticket or you can use generics if there are spots left.  It is in no way included with the cost of your badge.
I'm not asking for the space and time to be free...just being able to browse and pick a game before paying and losing time on deciding what game to play.

And I thought one year when the library was in the stadium I could at least browse.

Posted by hotreviewsweb
#10

[This post has been removed]

New Post Sign in to write a new post.