If you bought 20+ games at Gen Con can I ask you a question...
Posted by hahnarama

Every year I see people post pics of the games they bought at Gen Con. Every now and then you will see a STACK of 30+ games that were bought at the Con

(let me stop right here, I am trying to understand the why. I am not criticizing in any way) 

I just have to ask WHY so many games? No FLGS in your hometown?  You only buy games once a year?  FOMO? 

Thanks in advance 

Posted by crowingcommando

I bought 18 games this year. Nothing against my FLGS and I will drop more then I care to admit there throughout the year. For me it’s because of convenience. I demo the game, I liked the game, I buy the game when I can. Im also a guy who walks up to the FLGS a few blocks away from the ICC to buy from them as well because inevitably I’ll be looking for something that’s not the new hotness. This year I scored a copy of the Judhe Dredd Wildlands game and wingspan up there which was awesome. 

Posted by kevinrg

Could probably think of hundred reasons why someone would load up.   Immediate gratification of having the item in hand, they don't like shipping, they are saving on shipping, hard to find games, buy a game and get a gencon promo, etc.    I'd say one of the bigger ones for me is that there are a sizable number of games that just won't make it to retail so it is either buy from the website or buy in person (like Chip Theory).  Plus a fair amount of 'Oh ya.. I wanted that' so I'll grab it.

Posted by helenbb

Also, sometimes if you buy the game at Gen Con you egt promos/extras that are not available at the FLGS.

My husband has purchased games directly from the creator at Gen Con and gotten the games autographed.

Posted by eldrad12000

There are a couple of reasons I purchase the bulk of my games at GenCon. Now I don't buy 20+ or such things. But that is because I don't have a lot of people to play with where I live. But my main reasons are as follows. And are in no order, just typing them as I think of them.

A. You can get con-exclusive promos from purchasing the games at the Con.
B. Sometimes they do bundles and you can get a decent discount if you buy a game with its expansions.
C. You do save on shipping if you have the room to bring them all home.
D.Some games you can get signed by the creator. That's not a big deal for me, but it's neat if it happens.
E. Sometimes the games you get won't be available at your local store. And I would rather buy them from the company in person than online.

These are just a few.

Posted by qwaserity

Plus between the math trade and boardgamegeek flea market, that was 14 of my games. Throw in a discounted bulk buy of Wings of Glory planes, several game bags, AEG Big Game Night and a discounted purchase of grid maps, it all adds up.

Posted by hahnarama

Thanks for the insight... I think the reason it really hit home for me this year was the Twitter post I saw saying that the user had bought the last 2 suitcases at TJ Max. WHY buy suitcases plus pay the extra baggage fee to ship games home? :)

Posted by fethbone hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:
Thanks for the insight... I think the reason it really hit home for me this year was the Twitter post I saw saying that the user had bought the last 2 suitcases at TJ Max. WHY buy suitcases plus pay the extra baggage fee to ship games home? :)
If someone gets free checked baggage on an airline for whatever reason, this can actually be an OK deal besides paying for extra suitcases if you want Gencon-exclusive stuff. I get two free checked bags on my airline of choice -four if my spouse travels with me- and have saved a lot of money while traveling bringing home wine and other heavy/bulky items in a checked bag rather than paying to have them shipped home with insurance (and in the case of wine, paying for signature confirmation and private carrier rates). I have even brought an empty suitcase with me to places for the express purpose of bringing things home for free. 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.