Hotel System is <Censored>!!!!
Posted by hatchitt

Logged on the first day at 2;39 pm.  Unable to get a  downtown room at all.  <Censored>.... This is ridiculous..  Need a new venue.  Tried to take both of my sons once to Gen Con.  Ridiculous and frustrating.  Anyone else with the same issues?

Posted by roderick

Please watch your language.  

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

Posted by hatchitt

Roderick Robertson..  Sorry, but this system is terrible.  

Posted by austicke

Plenty of downtown rooms were still available at 2:39pm ET. And plenty of non-downtown rooms are still available now.

Posted by hatchitt

Where?  Want downtown.  What do you suggest?  500+ dollars a night is not a bargain.

Posted by glory

Yeah, I'm confused. I was in at 3:11 eastern time and found a downtown King easily. 

Posted by hatchitt

Anyone?  Where?  The housing portal only shows me places 8+ miles out.  Not familiar with daily parking or traffic.  Looking downtown.

Posted by glory hatchitt

hatchitt wrote:
Anyone?  Where?  The housing portal only shows me places 8+ miles out.  Not familiar with daily parking or traffic.  Looking downtown.

They're gone now. But if you had logged in at the time you claimed - you would have seen lots of downtown rooms. 

Posted by hatchitt

I did.  Not one place downtown.  I logged in at 239 pm.  Looking for something within walking distance.  Nice....

Posted by austicke hatchitt

hatchitt wrote:I logged in at 239 pm.

What time zone? Downtown rooms didn't sell out until nearly 4:00pm ET.

​​​​​​​_____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

Posted by holder of dreams

At 7:10 pm, my time to portal in, I am left with hotels to 8 to 15 miles out. Yeah, and it is not going to get any better, as time goes forward. But I got a place, by another venue. And in time too.

Posted by bushmaster

Guess it boils down to what you were looking for and how many days you put in for your stay.

By 2:39pm there were singles still available downtown but doubles were long gone.

Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent

Was the last word of this post originally a more explicit word that was later modified by a moderator?

I don't use the housing portal because I'm local, but from everything I'm hearing most other people booking at that time were able to get a room.  Maybe your criteria were too strict.  Nothing GenCon can do about that.

Posted by drkfathr1

I think a lot of folks need to re-calibrate their expectations. We're not all going to fit in at the downtown hotels, and there are plenty of rooms still available on the outskirts, 12 to 15 miles out. Yeah, that means you won't be within walking distance, but you'll get a cheaper room, it'll be less crowded in your hotel, and if you use Gate 10 parking you'll have a guaranteed spot to park every day, and it'll be cheaper than paying to park at a downtown hotel. 

I know a lot of folks are disappointed year after year, and really want the convenience of being able to walk back and forth in a short distance, but it just ain't realistic with the size of the con. It's really not the end of the world, and you can still have a fantastic experience at the convention. 

Posted by alans

Sheraton has rooms right now Wed-Sun Double.

Posted by divachelle alans

alans wrote:
Sheraton has rooms right now Wed-Sun Double.
Is this the room type and location you have reserved? FYI, your reserved room shows up as available when logging into the system to modify. It's tricked a lot of people into thinking that the system has more rooms of the type you have reserved available, but in fact it is only available to you bc you have it held.

Posted by alans

Ah, yes, that could be it...sry everyone if I caused unnecessary hope.

Posted by bushmaster alans

alans wrote:
Ah, yes, that could be it...sry everyone if I caused unnecessary hope.
I did the same thing the first time I used this system 2 years ago.  Don't feel bad.

Posted by rayken

I think we have a liar here. Downtown Rooms didn't go until 3:45.

Posted by qwaserity drkfathr1

drkfathr1 wrote:
I think a lot of folks need to re-calibrate their expectations.

Internet high five!!!  It completely confounds me how people pay thousands for a hotel room next to the convention center. My hotel bill is $280 for four nights (Wed - Sat). Yes, I'm staying at a 2.5 star hotel on the outer loop of town but the savings pay for my ticket, events and mad money at the con. Parking isn't that bad if you get a Gate 10 ticket. And who really remembers their hotel experiences (unless it's bed bugs... I remember the bed bugs from a different event...)

Sign in to write a new post. New Post