Event submission timeline
Posted by kidlidar

I know it's early yet, but since some of us start working for our events this month, I was wondering if there is any timeline on when event submission was going to start, with gencon taking a wait and see approach.  I hope to see everyone this summer.

Posted by mikeboozer

There is no timeline at this time. Gen Con will update everyone on a timeline when a timeline is available...in a timely manner.

Thank you for your time, and we hope to see you in good time this summer as well!

Mike 

Posted by gib_rebeg

This does not look good when you have both a forum section for the online gencon as well as no progress on event submission or any discussion of a timeline.

You go 2 years without any convention and you risk serious damage to the convention attendance numbers as con goers move on to other attractions.

Posted by matthias9 gib_rebeg

gib_rebeg wrote:
This does not look good when you have both a forum section for the online gencon as well as no progress on event submission or any discussion of a timeline.
You go 2 years without any convention and you risk serious damage to the convention attendance numbers as con goers move on to other attractions.

Except they HAVE discussed the timeline:  To wit, they are "postponing badge registration and event submission until we have a better idea of what the year will hold."

Maybe that's unsatisfying. You'd probably prefer they tell you a date, but that's hard because there's no way to know what that date will be.  It is what it is.  They don't have any more of a crystal ball than anyone else does.  We went through all this last year.

Posted by mikeboozer gib_rebeg

[This post has been removed]

Posted by mikeboozer

Ah, I see your point. To be clear Online Gen Con does not preclude us having a live show as scheduled. 

Our efforts there were very well received. So both can possibly happen. Even at the same time.

I can see how that might have confused you though. I'm removing the topic as without context it may cause confusion. Will bring it back when the picture is clearer there! Mike

Posted by squirecam mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
Ah, I see your point. To be clear Online Gen Con does not preclude us having a live show as scheduled. 
Our efforts there were very well received. So both can possibly happen. Even at the same time.
I can see how that might have confused you though. I'm removing the topic as without context it may cause confusion. Will bring it back when the picture is clearer there! Mike
I think if it is possible to have both, that would be great. There may be people who still aren't willing to travel but want to attend virtually.

If the internet coverage were better, you might even be able to have a mix where some people can use zoom to attend. Is anything like that a possibility?

Posted by mikeboozer squirecam

squirecam wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
I think if it is possible to have both, that would be great. There may be people who still aren't willing to travel but want to attend virtually.If the internet coverage were better, you might even be able to have a mix where some people can use zoom to attend. Is anything like that a possibility?

Right now everything is a possibility and nothing has been ruled out. However, it is way too early to speculate on what we will do. Time will tell!

Posted by dirklancer

So there might still be virtual events as well as physical ones? 

Posted by jillt

I attended the online con last year along with being able to attend online for up games expo and spiel.  Gencon was the best run (smooth and no glitches) and had the most activities.  This is not to knock the others.  I remember them saying they planned on always having the digital one and they would have to figure it out so they can “play well together” which is a cute way of putting it.  I didn’t see the online con forum so I want to find it now as I alternate gen con with sightseeing trips so I don’t attend physically every year anyway.

Posted by gib_rebeg

Question, last year we were told, events submitted will roll over to this years con should it proceed.

Is that still the case?

If so, are we given the choice before hand to retract them?

With distancing and lowered attendance as well as later in the year, my smaller events, may not have enough interest to even try running them.

Posted by marimaccadmin

I don't have specific details yet, but if they are rolled over, they will not be rolled over in active, or accepted for consideration, or even submitted for review, status.  That is, if they are rolled over, you'd still have to perform some sort of action to put them into consideration for this year.

Marian McBrine
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.