No True Dungeon this year?
Posted by timmerb123

Did I just miss it in the catalogue, or is there no True Dungeon this year?

Posted by buffythecatslayer

They announced some time ago that they wouldn't be at Gen Con this year.

Posted by rgresch

True Dungeon has been running virtual events monthly since last August. It's worth checking out if you haven't already.

Posted by helenbb

Originally TD said they would be coming, but then they backed out with no explanation and a brief 'sorry'. Their online games are fun, but like Online Gen Con, only about 60% as good as the 'real thing'. This year, their only in-person events will be at Gamehole Con.

Posted by eldrad12000

Uggh I looked into the online events. I mean that is nice, but I am way too invested in the game token wise and time-wise to want to do some kind of online run through. Part of the fun is actually being in the room and seeing the things in person etc. I don't know why they canceled on Gen Con, I just wish they hadn't. This is now the 2nd year I have not gotten to use my tokens and go on adventures with my group.

Posted by helenbb

They do use the tokens in online TD, and they mail you physical tokens as treasure.

Posted by matthias9

It's surprising how quickly they changed their answer -- and without explanation. 

Gen Con has stated that the entire financial future of the convention would be  unclear without a physical convention this year.   I was hoping companies would step up to support at this critical time. Personally, I plan to notice which companies have done so and support them in turn where I am able.  It is sad that I cannot count True Dungeon among them. 

Posted by eldrad12000 helenbb

helenbb wrote:
They do use the tokens in online TD, and they mail you physical tokens as treasure.
I know, its just not the same as being their in person and sliding the pucks and interacting with the dungeon.

Posted by buffythecatslayer

Other companies have their own concerns.  It's not their job to "prop up" Gen Con.  I'm sure they would attend if they could address & settle whatever issues they have on their end, but in this case, TD and several other big companies felt they could not.

Posted by helenbb matthias9

matthias9 wrote:
It's surprising how quickly they changed their answer -- and without explanation. 
Gen Con has stated that the entire financial future of the convention would be  unclear without a physical convention this year.   I was hoping companies would step up to support at this critical time. Personally, I plan to notice which companies have done so and support them in turn where I am able.  It is sad that I cannot count True Dungeon among them. 

There was definitely something strange about it, and TD is being very tight-lipped. They were eager to come. They had sent out emails announcing their presence at in-person Gen Con. They had a bunch of volunteers. They had the sets built. And suddenly, one day, they announced that they had changed their minds.

Perhaps not co-incidentally, this was about the same time Paizo (and a few other companies) also announced that they weren't coming. I have to wonder if there was some behind-the-scenes issue that caused all of these companies to pull out... perhaps some restriction for in-person Gen Con, or some guarantee Gen Con couldn't give, that caused it?

Posted by austicke helenbb

helenbb wrote:There was definitely something strange about it, and TD is being very tight-lipped. They were eager to come. They had sent out emails announcing their presence at in-person Gen Con. They had a bunch of volunteers. They had the sets built. And suddenly, one day, they announced that they had changed their minds.Perhaps not co-incidentally, this was about the same time Paizo (and a few other companies) also announced that they weren't coming. I have to wonder if there was some behind-the-scenes issue that caused all of these companies to pull out... perhaps some restriction for in-person Gen Con, or some guarantee Gen Con couldn't give, that caused it?

I didn't think it was much of a mystery. I just assumed that Gen Con decided not to rent Lucas Oil Stadium (along with other venues), so it left True Dungeon without a space.

Posted by vulcanspock austicke

austicke wrote:
helenbb wrote:There was definitely something strange about it, and TD is being very tight-lipped. They were eager to come. They had sent out emails announcing their presence at in-person Gen Con. They had a bunch of volunteers. They had the sets built. And suddenly, one day, they announced that they had changed their minds.Perhaps not co-incidentally, this was about the same time Paizo (and a few other companies) also announced that they weren't coming. I have to wonder if there was some behind-the-scenes issue that caused all of these companies to pull out... perhaps some restriction for in-person Gen Con, or some guarantee Gen Con couldn't give, that caused it?

I didn't think it was much of a mystery. I just assumed that Gen Con decided not to rent Lucas Oil Stadium (along with other venues), so it left True Dungeon without a space.

I don't think the facts support this conclusion.  After Gen Con announced the September dates back in March, True Dungeon announced they'd be there. They said they'd be running at least two adventures.  And again, a week later, they sent out another notice on it.  It was already known by that time that Lucas Oil was off the table.  The Colts have a home game that weekend.  So, it isn't about Gen Con deciding not to rent Lucas Oil.  It's clear that wasn't an option.  Also, True Dungeon has been held elsewhere anyway and with less competition for space, one would think those spaces would be available.

After that, it was a full two months later that True Dungeon canceled.

We can speculate about why they canceled.  But it is just speculation.  Because they haven't told us.  

Posted by quarex

True Dungeon at least might have had some social distancing issues they were not interested in working out ... well, if not for the fact that GameHoleCon is actually being more stringent than Gen-Con, anyway.  Yes I just talked myself out of the point I thought I was making halfway through this post

Posted by persiandragoon

They are doing a thing for gencion online con 

Posted by orionwiseman

Game Hole Con, I believe, is limiting attendance to fully vaccinated individuals only which makes something like True Dungeon easier to pull off without as much worry around social distancing. True Dungeon did announce they will be part of GenCon online which is very cool. 

https://truedungeon.com/gencon

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.