Is there a cap on attendees this year like 2021?
Posted by kjamma4

I'm guessing no but just want to make sure.

Thanks.

Posted by colbrook

They said there might be, but nothing finalised yet. 

Last year they didn't sell out though, even with ~half capacity as a limit. 

Posted by kjamma4

Do you know what the limit was last year as well as the actual attendance?

I was apprehensive last year but quite frankly, the lower attendance made for a better con for me.

Posted by brumcg

Wikipedia has 2021 attendance as 35,000+.

Posted by traveller

That is just the max that could be there, it was smaller, maybe only 30k at best.

Posted by helenbb

There is always a cap on attendance. It was reached during Gen Con 50. The real question is, what is the cap and is Gen Con in danger of reaching it/selling out? If so, when?

Given that the couple of years that there were sellouts, they happened much closer to the time of the con, I think that you would have a little time to decide if you want a badge or not. You could also hedge your bets and buy a badge now, then get a refund (if necessary) before the deadline.

Posted by mikeboozer

You have a little time. We will keep you updated via newsletters on this as usual.

Mike

Posted by traveller

Also the cap for normal years is in the 65-70k range.  

Posted by stormcrow2112

Possible that the vaccination and mask requirements will keep some people away.

Posted by eldrad12000 stormcrow2112

stormcrow2112 wrote:
Possible that the vaccination and mask requirements will keep some people away.
It will, no matter the choice it will drive people away. If they didn't require anything then people would complain and stay away as well.

Posted by traveller

2020  --  WAAA, I'm not going because they cancelled it.
2021  --  WAAA, I'm not going because they changed the date, they require masks, they limited the number of people.
2022  --  WAAA. I'm not going because they require masks and vaccines.
2023  --  WAAA, I'm not going because of some other reasons I'm making up so I can cry.

Posted by timjs21

Based on the policies that GenCon has decided upon (requiring attendees to be vaccinated, boosted and wear masks) they have essentially created a cap on attendance this year even if they don't specifically say they are limiting it. 

After attending last year with limited attendance, mask requirements, paying full price at hotels and restaurants all while having a scaled back convention and limited/poor service at my downtown hotel and most restaurants, I'm not going back this year.  I'm sure there are many that won't be attending this year for many of the same reasons. 

I think GenCon has made some very poor choices with their requirements that may very well lead to financial ruin.  But that's their choice.

Posted by armadilloal

Limiting the audience isn't the same thing as a cap. 

The tickets people like you leave behind will still be available.

Posted by grognard262

Events like Gen Con are in a tough spot.  If they follow the recommendations of public health authorities, some people won't go.  If they don't follow those recommendations, other people won't go.  Some people won't go no matter what.

I think it is fairly likely that the CDC will drop the mask recommendation for vaccinated people in the next couple months.  Fauci and others have hinted at it in the past few days.  Community spread was already fairly low last summer, and there is a lot more immunity in the population in 2022.  My hope is for a masks optional Gen Con.

Posted by funny-shaped dice timjs21

timjs21 wrote:
I'm sure there are many that won't be attending this year for many of the same reasons. 

...and I'm equally sure there will be many who *will* attend this year precisely because of the changes.  Myself included.

This argument is pointless.  I opted out last year because I didn't like the policy; you can opt out this year.  I think the safe bet is that things will change between now and August - but, hey, the more people agree with YOU the less competition there is for Downtown Hotels! Win!

(I'll leave the running of Gen Con's business to Gen Con - and let them decide what works best for them and their financials)

In all seriousness: you can choose not to participate now when a lot of things are not known, or you can buy a badge, reserve a hotel and then opt out in June when the picture is clearer and it costs you, what, $10 for a badge cancellation?  That's what I did last year and it was fairly painless.

/shrug

Posted by timjs21 funny-shaped dice

funny-shaped dice wrote:
timjs21 wrote:
I'm sure there are many that won't be attending this year for many of the same reasons. 

...and I'm equally sure there will be many who *will* attend this year precisely because of the changes.  Myself included.This argument is pointless.  I opted out last year because I didn't like the policy; you can opt out this year.  I think the safe bet is that things will change between now and August - but, hey, the more people agree with YOU the less competition there is for Downtown Hotels! Win!
(I'll leave the running of Gen Con's business to Gen Con - and let them decide what works best for them and their financials)
In all seriousness: you can choose not to participate now when a lot of things are not known, or you can buy a badge, reserve a hotel and then opt out in June when the picture is clearer and it costs you, what, $10 for a badge cancellation?  That's what I did last year and it was fairly painless.
/shrug

Just as an FYI and a word of warning to all that don't know.  I purchased my badge and downtown hotel last year based on GenCon's policy that they were going to require us to show proof of vaccination but masks were not required.  I was fine with that which is why I booked.  Then AFTER GenCon's self-imposed refund cutoff date, they changed their decision to not require proof of vaccination but did require masking.  I attempted to get either a refund or a system credit based on that change.  I was told no.  There is only one reason that makes sense to me that they would have acted in this manner - they are hurting for money. 

For those planning to attend this year be aware that based on the scaled back convention from last year, you can expect limited hours that the convention hall will be open.  You can expect an exhibitors hall that is smaller than normal and will have many empty booths.  You can expect to pay full price for downtown hotels however they won't even clean your room each day while you are there.  You can expect a much smaller selection of games to choose from. 

I don't begrudge anyone of whatever decision they make and hope all are safe, and have fun.

Posted by austicke timjs21

timjs21 wrote:you can expect limited hours that the convention hall will be open.

The ICC is back to 24 hours this year.

Posted by burrfoot72 austicke

austicke wrote:
timjs21 wrote:you can expect limited hours that the convention hall will be open.

Cool.  While I don't use it all hours of the day there is still something "exciting and mystical" knowing it is open and you can if you wanted to be there.

Posted by quarex

You said it, Burrfoot72.  It is a microcosm of the draw of Gen-Con; who KNOWS what kind of awesome nerdy stuff is going on at 3 A.M. in any of the dozens of occupied rooms?  And if you suddenly find yourself totally unable to sleep, you could go find out!

I am pretty sure you would have to live a hundred simultaneous lives to really get a handle on all the things happening at and around Gen-Con any given year, and I love that.

Posted by kevinrg austicke

austicke wrote:

That was probably #1 on my list of things I missed last year.   Was like 'last event at 11PM.. guess might as well head back to the room' instead of possibly catching the last bits of the auction, going down to the game library or just generally wandering around seeing what was going on.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.