How late on 8/7 do events run
Posted by mzener

Forgive the newbie question, but I've never been to GenCon before. How late do events run on the final day?

I'm looking at hotels, and wondering whether I should book an overnight stay on 8/7, so just plan to head home that afternoon.

Thanks!

Posted by audioslave

I think, don't quote me on this, that most everything is wrapped up by about 4pm on Sunday. If memory serves me correctly, the exhibit hall is closed at 4, most people have left already, and the event list is pretty light for the last day. And some events don't even fire because people don't show up to events.

Posted by brumcg

I looked at Gen Con 2021, and no events ended after 4:00.

Posted by quarex

If you can stay, you should stay.  The thing that many people do not think about (even I did not think about it until I had attended for several years) is that if you check out Sunday that means you miss at least some vital convention time on packing, bringing your luggage to the car, finding a new place to park, and whatever other logistics come up.  And indeed in my experience this sometimes makes people just want to leave and you get into an argument with your roommates about whether it is worth staying (it is always worth staying!).  No arguments about Sunday afternoon if you have the room until Monday morning!  Haha.

Posted by matthias9

The events and exhibit hall hours all end at 4pm.  So, yeah, the convention is over at 4pm.  If it is important to save that day of work vacation or dollars for a hotel day, you can sure leave Sunday.  That is common.  It is what I used to do.

However, I now like to stay over to Monday morning.  Partly for the reasons quarex mentions above -- I don't want to end up making it a 3-day convention.  But, also, I come with friends and we have Sunday night to do gaming in the hotel.  It isn't really a wasted day for us, even after 4pm.   We have a long drive.  If we leave on Sunday, it's late if we leave after 4.  

Posted by lore seeker

Isn't there some post-convention event called Gen Con Rear Guard on Sunday night too?

Posted by davidschneider

I normally leave on Sunday around 12 or 1 due to a ten hour drive home.  I finally determined if I'm going to come all this way, why short myself with leaving early.  I've decided to stay all day Sunday and enjoy every bit of the convention.   

I'll leave after the convention ends, get a good evening dinner, drive 3-4 hours, get a cheapo hotel, then get home the next day.

Posted by smarty_213

Staying Sunday night and leaving on Monday is much more preferable in my opinion.  You have Sunday evening to unwind, relax, and play more games in your hotel lobby if you want to.  Leave Monday when you're rested and you can avoid the crunch of people trying to get to the airport/out of town Sunday night.

Posted by brumcg

One Sunday consideration is that there's going to be a 1:35 baseball game at Victory field (right next to the convention center).  Traffic is an absolute cluster from Noon-ish to 2:00-ish.  I like to go over to the Exhibit Hall one more time before we head out, but we'll bail if there's a game.  Maybe one year we'll try staying until Monday.

The NFL schedule hasn't been announced yet, but I would assume the Gen Con weekend is too early for a pre-season Colts game.  It would likely be Saturday night if there was one.

Posted by colbrook brumcg

brumcg wrote:
One Sunday consideration is that there's going to be a 1:35 baseball game at Victory field (right next to the convention center).  Traffic is an absolute cluster from Noon-ish to 2:00-ish.  I like to go over to the Exhibit Hall one more time before we head out, but we'll bail if there's a game.  Maybe one year we'll try staying until Monday.
The NFL schedule hasn't been announced yet, but I would assume the Gen Con weekend is too early for a pre-season Colts game.  It would likely be Saturday night if there was one.
Gen Con has the Lucas Oil stadium booked this year, so no American Hand-Egg games that weekend.

Posted by helenbb

Gen Con ends on Sunday at 4 pm. There are announcements over the loudspeakers to warn people.

I have decided that I want Gen Con to run as long as possible. In 2021, I was GMing from noon to 4 pm on Sunday. It was an awesome way to end the con! I'm scheduled to do the same this year. If anyone wants to play the Harry Potter homebrew rpg (5e) I'll be there...

Posted by del_grande brumcg

brumcg wrote:The NFL schedule hasn't been announced yet, but I would assume the Gen Con weekend is too early for a pre-season Colts game.  It would likely be Saturday night if there was one.

Even if GenCon didn't already have the stadium booked, the only NFL game that weekend is the Hall of Fame Game in Canton, Ohio.

Posted by buffythecatslayer lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:Isn't there some post-convention event called Gen Con Rear Guard on Sunday night too?

I'm not sure if it's planned for this year, but yes, in past years people get together at one of the hotels for some post-Con gaming.

However, note that the Rear Guard is not an official Gen Con event, just something organized by attendees.  Gen Con officially turns into a pumpkin at 4pm Sunday; exhibit hall closes, and all events end.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.