Will Call Tips
(Pinned)
Posted by mikeboozer

We strive to make the Will Call line as short as possible and move people through quickly.

One important tip is to buy any badges or tickets while at the show from the Badge/Ticket reg. kiosks onsite and not online. There is a minimum 2 hour wait in Will Call to pick up a badge or ticket that was ordered online. You can walk up to a kiosk and just buy them and have them printed immediately!

If you are in line when you get up to the kiosk please have your ID, Name as it appears on your account, and email address ready. We will ask for your ID and if your name is "Mike instead of "Michael" on your account we can find your packet faster for example.

Mike

Posted by kertdawg

I have a tip.  I usually get in the line late Wednesday, but sometimes it's still long.  My tip is that there are many people around you in the exact same situation!  Talk with them. 
I've played games in line.  One year, a friend brought a tablet that we played Smallworld on.  One year I ran a short RPG in line.  It breaks the ice, calms tension, and it's fun. That's why we come: to have fun!

Posted by traveller

Make friends with a VIG they have their own ticket line (never any waiting).  

Posted by lore seeker kertdawg

kertdawg wrote:
I have a tip.  I usually get in the line late Wednesday, but sometimes it's still long.  My tip is that there are many people around you in the exact same situation!  Talk with them. 
I've played games in line.  One year, a friend brought a tablet that we played Smallworld on.  One year I ran a short RPG in line.  It breaks the ice, calms tension, and it's fun. That's why we come: to have fun!

Definitely a good idea.

Even if you're socially awkward in-person (like me), it's easy to strike up a conversation just because everyone there is there for the same kind of reason, so the ice is already kind of broken.

Posted by kertdawg

Father bloodlust wrote: it's easy to strike up a conversation

Say this one thing: "Your characters are sitting in a tavern.  What do they do?"​​​​​​​

Posted by jpederso

Conversations in the will call line (or consignment store line) are one of the things I love about Gencon. I start with “where are you from?” And then “What games are you looking forward to playing?”  Never a problem getting a conversation started

Posted by quarex

Hahaha I definitely read that as "where are you?" and that is a much funnier way to start up a conversation, albeit a strategy that might not pay off

Posted by maijstral2

Do not be discouraged by the length of the line. I have done will call, barring the last two, every year for over a decade and I get there wenesday late afternoon, early evening and the line is all the way down the hall and sometimes out the con door and still I have never waited more than 45 minutes. The line moves pretty quick. I usually read the event catalog or play on my phone. 

Posted by rkmga

Posted by douga65

How late is will call open on Wednesday night?

Posted by austicke douga65

douga65 wrote:How late is will call open on Wednesday night?

All night. It doesn't close until Sunday.

Posted by nightra66

Or get tickets at like 3am. Last time I went in 2019, my friend and I randomly woke up and could not fall back asleep so we said screw it lets wonder around. We did not know the will call would be open so when we saw it we where like no line perfect.

Posted by quarex

Those are great moments.  One of my many amazing fond memories of Gen-Con was the time my friend and I were coming back from ??? around midnight and went back to the hotel room to go to bed, and then both decided there was no way we were going to be able to get to sleep and went back out to wander downtown Indianapolis and look through some of our Exhibit Hall goods while having a late-night snack at some bar.  Truly, good times

Posted by e_sandrs austicke

austicke wrote:
douga65 wrote:How late is will call open on Wednesday night?

All night. It doesn't close until Sunday.

Just a ping here (posted elsewhere, but in case you end up here) that Will Call is scheduled to close overnight this year.

WILL CALL (WABASH EAST)
Wednesday: Noon - 2:00am
Thursday - Saturday: 7:00am - 11:00pm
Sunday: 7:00am - 3:00pm

Posted by mikeboozer

Yes, Will Call closes overnight so plan accordingly.

Mike

Posted by rgresch

I know in the past that if you bought event tickets after a certain day that you badge/tickets were not available for pickup at noon on the Wednesday. They typically weren't available for pickup until after 4pm.

Is this still the case and if so what is the cut off to add event tickets and still be able to pick things up at will call at noon?

Posted by austicke rgresch

rgresch wrote:Is this still the case and if so what is the cut off to add event tickets and still be able to pick things up at will call at noon?

It takes just a few hours. If you're onsite, you should just go to event registration.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.