Any tips for artists attending?
Posted by torontomage

Any tips for artists who are planning to attend Gen Con for the first time (but not as an exhibitor)? I have been told that it's a great event to bring an illustration portfolio and business cards to, if you are looking for illustration jobs for games, and that is what I plan to do. How would I get the most out of the experience in terms of networking? Are there any specific companies that do portfolio reviews? Thank you and looking forward to attending for the first time :) 

Posted by nesbit37

I'm an exhibitor at Gen Con and a game publisher.  I haven't had any artists approach me at the con before but game designers do it all the time.  Gen Con time is precious and people are busy.  Doing something like a portfolio review might be ok at some companies but not all of them.  I would reach out to places who you think might like your style ahead of time and see if you can set up a meeting.  If you are going to essentially cold call people by just showing up at their booth and hoping they have time for you then you will probably be disappointed.

Posted by torontomage

Thank you so much for the advice. That makes a lot of sense! I can definitely appreciate that most people will be busy and don't want to impose myself on anyone's schedule. I will reach out to a few places ahead of time and see if I can set anything up.

I'm in Canada, and there are so few chances to get face to face time with game publishers and make a connection at events like these that I really want to make the most of the trip. :)

Posted by nesbit37

If your style fits what they are looking for I'm sure they'll be happy to talk to you.  It can be difficult to find artists you like.  First game I was able to use someone local.  Last game I used someone from Algeria.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.