This year's attendance
1 3 4
1 3 4
Posted by jimdigris

Do we have any idea of how many people are attending this year so far?

Posted by traveller

Somewhere between 2 and 7.5 billion.  But that is just a rough guess.

Posted by austicke

I would imagine it will be much closer to 2019's size rather than last year's.

Posted by grognard262 austicke

austicke wrote:

I'm thinking it will still be a fair bit less than 2019.  20% of the adult population won't get vaccinated.  Another 10% are vaccinated and boosted but still wear an N95 mask while driving alone in their car.

I'll go with 50,000, maybe 55K

Posted by quarex

I do not expect it to sell out, either, but the stats suggest that amongst Gen-Con attendees, vaccination is more popular than amongst the general population, so I do not think that policy will have much of an impact.

I will go with precisely 52,379.

Posted by kevinrg quarex

quarex wrote:
I will go with precisely 52,379.

Name them

Posted by armadilloal

George
George II
George III
George IV
George V
George VI
George 52,377
Peter Adkison
George 52,378

Posted by quarex

Whew, thanks ArmadilloAl; I would have definitely forgotten Peter.

Posted by theblogsand

[This post has been removed]

Posted by lehane

Just finished Planet Comicon Kansas City.

Looked like attendance was down on Friday a good bit, but Saturday and Sunday looked more like normal(ish) attendance but not the huge 2019 crowd. That said they had just had Planet Comcion in August (delayed last year like everyone else) so only 8 months ago and the economy hasn't been that good. 

Posted by blakwngbrd traveller

traveller wrote:
You may be amused to know that this is currently Google's official answer if you search for "Gen Con 2022 attendance" :)

Posted by fethbone

There are still ample downtown -including connected- hotels to choose from outside the housing block, so that tells me they are still nowhere near 2019 numbers. Even with the rates jacked up exorbitantly, in the years prior to 2020 the downtown out-of-block rooms would still sell out quickly.

I also recall in the olden times that I would receive emails warning when badge availability was getting low, and I have not received any such emails so far.

My guess would be <50,000.

Posted by fethbone fethbone

Posted by sam7001 blakwngbrd

blakwngbrd wrote:
traveller wrote:
You may be amused to know that this is currently Google's official answer if you search for "Gen Con 2022 attendance" :)

Too funny!
https://www.google.com/search?q=Gen+Con+2022+attendance

Posted by xanathon austicke

austicke wrote:
With all of the cancellations of downtown rooms I don't think we will be close to 2019 attendance.  There were downtown rooms available up until last week.  While there will be more attendance than last year I think we will be at an attendance level closer to 2018 and 2017.

Posted by emynst01

I was definitely thinking it should be 2019 numbers. But given how multiple hotels had skywalk rooms available just this past weekend, I'm thinking it might be more like last year.

Posted by bigfathairyguy xanathon

xanathon wrote:
austicke wrote:
With all of the cancellations of downtown rooms I don't think we will be close to 2019 attendance.  There were downtown rooms available up until last week.  While there will be more attendance than last year I think we will be at an attendance level closer to 2018 and 2017.
I would go lower. With the number of open downtown hotel rooms not just in the portal but available directly from the hotel companies and the fact that some have lowered their pricing I would say numbers are going to be slightly over last year in the 2011-2012 range. Masking was always going to cause a drop in attendance either requiring masks or not requiring. While Gencon's choice was the best for protecting people. I am not sure it was the best to drive attendance.

Posted by kevinrg bigfathairyguy

bigfathairyguy wrote:I would go lower. With the number of open downtown hotel rooms not just in the portal but available directly from the hotel companies and the fact that some have lowered their pricing I would say numbers are going to be slightly over last year in the 2011-2012 range. Masking was always going to cause a drop in attendance either requiring masks or not requiring. While Gencon's choice was the best for protecting people. I am not sure it was the best to drive attendance.

40-45kish seems to be my guess (roughly 25-30% less events than 2019 correct?  If so.. suggests a 25-30%  attendance drop).   2021 is probably a rough baseline of who is coming no matter what policies were in place. 

I'm not sure any variation of policies would have brought 2019 attendance numbers because when there are factors that determine if someone is allowed to come or factors determining if someone will come, you will never hit pre 2020 numbers until those factors are no longer in play.

Posted by matthias9

Those factors may always be in play now, though.

It seems like there is more housing block availability this year than there was last year, which is troubling.

I believe last year was at 35k.  I'd predict a number just a couple thousand higher than that.  But, honestly, considering I was able to switch to a skywalk hotel last week, I wouldn't even be shocked if it was down from last year.  

People who are concerned about COVID may still not want to come.  And those less concerned may be tired of masks.  All in all, I'm expecting something pretty similar to last year.  Maybe a bit higher due to some returning vendors.

Posted by grim66 sam7001

sam7001 wrote:
blakwngbrd wrote:
traveller wrote:

Too funny!
https://www.google.com/search?q=Gen+Con+2022+attendance

This is a thing of beauty! I remember when people had to put effort into "Google bombing", but now Google does it all by itself! "Look Ma, no hands!"

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3 4
1 3 4