Origins Attendance
( Locked)
Posted by jimdigris

There’s another thread for arguing about masks. Can that issue be discussed there?

Posted by wells jimdigris

jimdigris wrote:
There’s another thread for arguing about masks. Can that issue be discussed there?

I believe this is one of the issues, there IS no other thread for discussing it, therefore it leaks into every other thread.

Where one would think people should be discussing it is the "Gen Con Health and Safety policy clarifications" thread, but it is specifically forbidden there:

"It is not for discussing why we have the policy or anyone's feelings about it. 
That has been discussed and will not be rejoined here.
Do not start any other posts concerning the policy please."

Posted by kevinrg

Discussing masks at this point is pretty much pointless as no one is changing their mind about anything.  

Posted by jimdigris

Furthermore, this is a thread about Origins. 

Posted by mikeboozer wells

wells wrote:
jimdigris wrote:

I believe this is one of the issues, there IS no other thread for discussing it, therefore it leaks into every other thread.Where one would think people should be discussing it is the "Gen Con Health and Safety policy clarifications" thread, but it is specifically forbidden there:
"It is not for discussing why we have the policy or anyone's feelings about it. 
That has been discussed and will not be rejoined here.
Do not start any other posts concerning the policy please."

There is nothing to discuss. The mask policy is final. Further discussion on it is moot.
It will not change.

You can ask for clarifications on it in the proper thread.

Mike

Posted by adcjones helenbb

helenbb wrote:
I don't think this will be a full attendance year at Gen Con. I attend a wide variety of different events, and of all of them, only True Dungeon and Speed Painting are sold out. Various RPGs, the Catcaombs D&D game, entertainment events, Trade Day seminars, etc.... none of them are sold out. Normally, most of the events I attend are sold out, unless they are in Room 500.
My best (uneducated) guess is that Gen Con attendance this year will be more than 2021, but less than a regular year.
Regarding Origins... the question is why? Why was attendance so low? Was it that there were a large number of people who were scared to attend? Or were a large number of people deciding not to attend because of vaccine mandates and masking? Both? Other reasons? That's what I'd be interested to see...

Uh, many of the Pathfinder 2 games are sold out...

Posted by swaygodeus

As others have pointed out, Gen Con and Origins policies are not consistent with the cities they take place in. Unfortunately it seems as though they have succumbed to the pressure of those who don't necessarily represent the feelings of their attendees. 

Went to Origins and Gen-Con last year, going to neither this year due to the vaxx policy. It's not that my family and I won't go, it's because we can't go. (but can go everywhere else in Columbus and Indy)

Posted by cinnibar

Your lack of Origins attendance this year for your reasons is noted.

Posted by donaldbain swaygodeus

swaygodeus wrote:Unfortunately it seems as though they have succumbed to the pressure of those who don't necessarily represent the feelings of their attendees. 
Search social media and you'll find at least as many who are happy with the current covid policies as are not happy with them.  If attendance goes from 70K to 50k, there's still 70% who are willing to accept the policies. 

Also, San Diego Comic Con is requiring masks this year.  Just in case someone's argument is 'other cons aren't doing it'.

Posted by wavester

<removed because arguing is pointless - agreed>

Posted by brooks

We're like 2 1/2-weeks away from the convention. Can't we just give everyone the benefit of the doubt, be nice to each other, and let things slide if we disagree with them? I mean at the end of the day we're all gamers and just want to have fun at Gen Con (or away from Gen Con or at Gen Con Online or whatever.) Literally months of this back-and-forth does not make us look good as a community. I mean if a forum post really goes over the top, Mike Boozer and the other powers-that-be have consistently shown they'll decisively take care of things. 

Gen Con | Policies and Show Information

"Everyone should observe common sense rules for behavior, personal interaction, courtesy, and respect."

Posted by swaygodeus donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
swaygodeus wrote:Unfortunately it seems as though they have succumbed to the pressure of those who don't necessarily represent the feelings of their attendees. 
Search social media and you'll find at least as many who are happy with the current covid policies as are not happy with them.  If attendance goes from 70K to 50k, there's still 70% who are willing to accept the policies. Also, San Diego Comic Con is requiring masks this year.  Just in case someone's argument is 'other cons aren't doing it'.

Unfortunately on sites such as BGG, if anyone even applauds looser restrictions, their comments are removed. This was such the case when Origins announced they were making masks optional and ppl were commenting in favor of the announcement and had their posts removed, so all you saw were posts opposed to the policy update.

Posted by mikeboozer swaygodeus

swaygodeus wrote:
donaldbain wrote:
Search social media and you'll find at least as many who are happy with the current covid policies as are not happy with them.  If attendance goes from 70K to 50k, there's still 70% who are willing to accept the policies. Also, San Diego Comic Con is requiring masks this year.  Just in case someone's argument is 'other cons aren't doing it'.

Unfortunately on sites such as BGG, if anyone even applauds looser restrictions, their comments are removed. This was such the case when Origins announced they were making masks optional and ppl were commenting in favor of the announcement and had their posts removed, so all you saw were posts opposed to the policy update.

Were done with arguing about the policy. It has already been done ad nauseum.
You have had your say. The policy will not be changing.
Locking this thread.

Mike

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.